OT: Fluto rates where to eat around the league

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
More food problems for Fluto in Pittsburgh

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...follow-suit/4vxxQoqK2MxmvKLVlMPfhM/story.html

If The Walking Dead requires a cityscape for Season 8, they should consider visiting Pittsburgh’s Strip District during the AFC Conference Championship. The neighborhood, usually active around 7:30 p.m., was straight out of the zombie apocalypse: not a human in sight, save for the occasional car blitzing down Liberty Ave.

I had planned it this way. After the Bruins-Penguins game on Sunday, I knew I’d be finished with my work by about the second quarter of Patriots-Steelers. I thought of a restaurant that might not be stuffed with football fans screaming at TVs. Lidia’s Pittsburgh, one of the cogs of Lidia Bastianich’s culinary empire, was my candidate.

It is a nice Italian-American restaurant. It had been a while since I’d had a good bowl of pasta. Given the intensity of Steelers’ interest, I thought I’d have no trouble being served.

When I got off the No. 86 bus and approached Lidia’s, I could see just two tables occupied. I was thrilled. But upon closer examination, they were the restaurant’s final diners. Lidia’s, read the sign on the door, would close at 7 p.m. instead of 10.

It was approaching 8. Good thing the restaurant’s windows are thick. It would have been embarrassing for the staff to hear my wails.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto dines in Washington

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...shing-touch/1ZwbAQO4kso4xfJzKDjaiI/story.html

I dined better in DC than Fluto did :laugh:

16427805_10211020543882248_2481211783857310218_n.jpg

16427713_10211020543922249_6668668606337543877_n.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto returns to Montreal

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ion-and-did/DwT7uaG9NQ6Jv3GeH7w9DO/story.html

It was by design that I pitched, via email, an assignment to cover Claude Julien’s first game as Canadiens coach. Had I done so at the office or on the phone, the boss would have seen right through my wretched poker face or heard the giggling in my voice. Covering the ex-Bruins coach’s shift to Montreal was a smokescreen to address my most urgent calling: hunger.

One of the pleasures of the Boston-Montreal road trip is the stretch of delights in Waterbury and Stowe. Stops at Lake Champlain Chocolates, the Cabot Annex, and Cold Hollow Cider Mill – a hat trick, if you will – are required when cruising along Route 100. Dark chocolate mint coins (for my wife, I swear!), a hunk of Alpine Cheddar (for my parents, I swear!), and a gallon of cider (for my kids, I swear!) would not have been acquired had it not been for the Julien-to-Habs green light.

Such goodies are the take-home bounties of the Montreal roadie.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
With all the food this guy eats, you would think he'd be the size of Haggs...

How does he find time for hockey?

I went to high school and college with Haggs. I was a freshman when he was a senior. He was large in high school, too. Actually, a good comparison is Lando Griffin (from family guy), without the glasses. :laugh:

FWIW, he did not play any sports in high school or college. Funny how that works.....

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
I went to high school and college with Haggs. I was a freshman when he was a senior. He was large in high school, too. Actually, a good comparison is Lando Griffin (from family guy), without the glasses. :laugh:

FWIW, he did not play any sports in high school or college. Funny how that works.....

That explains a lot actually.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The universe is happy - Fluto travels 7000 miles to write about his dinner in Shenzhen :)

Shinzawa: Puttin' off the Ritz, in favor of the food court

Even in a foreign country, I had little trouble, after a good amount of pavement pounding, in finding my new favorite location. The Global Tasty Food Plaza is a basement food court jammed with all kind of goodies with little English in sight.

After a lengthy pre-scout, I settled on an establishment right in my wheelhouse: a tiny kitchen, several counters for eating, and not a printed menu to be found. When the nice man asked for my order, I pointed at the bowl of beef noodle soup pictured above the register. Several minutes later, my lunch came out, ready to be optimized with cilantro and chili paste.

chinafood1-1024x768.jpg

Beef noodle soup | photo by Fluto Shinzawa

Reactions: maxbme and dabid

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
The universe is happy - Fluto travels 7000 miles to write about his dinner in Shenzhen :)

Shinzawa: Puttin' off the Ritz, in favor of the food court

Even in a foreign country, I had little trouble, after a good amount of pavement pounding, in finding my new favorite location. The Global Tasty Food Plaza is a basement food court jammed with all kind of goodies with little English in sight.

After a lengthy pre-scout, I settled on an establishment right in my wheelhouse: a tiny kitchen, several counters for eating, and not a printed menu to be found. When the nice man asked for my order, I pointed at the bowl of beef noodle soup pictured above the register. Several minutes later, my lunch came out, ready to be optimized with cilantro and chili paste.

chinafood1-1024x768.jpg

Beef noodle soup | photo by Fluto Shinzawa
“It was a lovely time. We stacked our table full of fried prawns, pork buns, scallion cakes, pork noodles, ma po tofu, and bitter melon. We took a few spoonfuls of each dish, then passed them around the table for everybody to enjoy. The company was good. Still, I couldn’t help but wonder how much better the dinner would have been had I not been required to share the dishes with companions.”
:laugh:

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
My favorite place on the road is a diner about 2 blocks from the United Center in Chicago. Very friendly to out of town fans.

Palace Grill Sandwich Shop In Chicago | Palace Grill Sandwich Shop Restaurant

Owner stays open for hockey but not for basketball.
Late reply here, but one of my favorite spots to eat/drink at in downtown Chicago is Miller's Pub.

Years ago my buddy (diehard Blackhawks fan), and I discovered this place before a game...Great selection to pick from in both food, and drinks.

Miller's Pub

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Late reply here, but one of my favorite spots to eat/drink at in downtown Chicago is Miller's Pub.

Years ago my buddy (diehard Blackhawks fan), and I discovered this place before a game...Great selection to pick from in both food, and drinks.

Miller's Pub
And I forgot to add - Miller's Pub is chock-full of locals, and not 'touristy' which only adds to the ambiance, and experience of trying sumthin new in a city you're not too familiar with.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
I once went to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que in Harlem and thought it was really mediocre, although I remember the sides being excellent.
I live near this one and this is spot on. The mains tend to disappoint but if you get some Mac and cheese, sweet potato and fried rice & meats, hoo boy. Enjoy your nap.

Reactions: EverettMike

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

I've always found it funny when reporters like this try to tap the emotions/nuances of professional players. Entirely impossible if you've never even played a damn sport.

It all looks really easy and simple with your fat ass glued to a couch cushion.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I will be snarky about Fluto but I honestly enjoy these features and would absolutely use these reccomendations if I was ever in one of those areas.

Reactions: Spooner st

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I hope fluto is better at rating/covering food places than he is at eating/covering nhl players because right now he is on Haggerty/ jimmy Murphy level in the nhl category.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When Fluto moved to The Athletic he stopped writing about food - until now

Road chow: The 31 meals we miss the most while NHL is on...

On average, I perform an hour of prep work before every road game. This is not an exaggeration.
For example, prior to the Bruins’ would-be three-game California swing in March, I extensively studied every possibility — mileage, train schedules, flight time — to maximize my eating opportunities. Oh, it would have been a smorgasbord.

Now, places like Tartine and Taqueria Los Coyotes and Irori Sushi are hurting. Coronavirus is ruining small restaurants everywhere. Some have already closed their doors. The ones still open need help badly.

So here are 31 of my favorite joints around the NHL. Some of them sell gift cards. All of them offer either takeout, delivery or shipping.

Please visit them. I would if I could.

Boston: Carlo’s Cucina Italiana

I lived in Brighton for nine years. Carlo’s was my neighborhood joint. My go-to dish was the Rigatoni Rachele: pasta with meatballs, sausages and a bundle of chicken and eggplant parmigiana. It was enough for two meals. I still go to Carlo’s for lunch with my wife. The chicken parm and meatball paninis are better than anything you can get in the North End.
617-254-9759, carloscucinaitaliana.com

Calgary: Native Tongues

I made the mistake of starving myself all day before an early dinner visit in February. I started with three tacos and one tostada. That wasn’t enough. The bartender was happy to put in an order for two more tacos and a tamale. Some of us have no shame when ordering.
403-263-9444, nativetongues.ca

Chicago: Pequod’s Pizza

Giordano’s and Gino’s are the famous deep-dish joints. I think it’s worth the subway trip to Pequod’s. The crust caramelizes in the pan to a sweet and crunchy finish. The sauce is terrific. There’s cheese everywhere. I like chunks of sausage in the pizza. I’m loyal to Regina’s in Boston, but Pequod’s makes me crave a Chicago-style slice once in a while.
773-327-1512, pequodspizza.com

Montreal: Kountry Kart Deli

I’m cheating with this one. Kountry Kart is in Burlington, Vt., about 90 minutes from downtown Montreal. But Montreal is one of my favorite road cities because of the drive — one I’ve probably made 75 times by now. The highlight of the commute is the stop at Kountry Kart for the Shiner. Egg, cheese, hash browns and your choice of meat — I prefer sausage — on a seeded bulkie roll make this the best breakfast sandwich I’ve ever had (pictured at top of the page). I’ve convinced a lot of people to make the Kountry Kart pilgrimage. It might be my proudest accomplishment through 14 years on the beat.
802-864-4408, kountrykartdeli.com

Montreal-1024x681.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad