OT: Fluto rates where to eat around the league

mmonty

Mar 9, 2013
Guy spends days dreaming about the Ramen place in LA and spends 10 minutes enjoying the meal? Slow down pal. No mentions of 2 more orders to go?

No way he can "semi-replicate" a fast food burger but can't duplicate a "straightforward dish: broth, noodles, and a few accompaniments". Give it a try. Pretty simple.

jdz

May 22, 2013
It's ******* coffee.

It wakes you, it warms you, it tastes good with a bagel.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Coming from melbourne, the coffee snob capital of the planet, this is pretty much blasphemy :P

Having gone to boston and the rest of the US and tasting the starbucks & dunkins etc, theyre pretty much poison to me.

Reactions: Spooner st

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto has lunch in Manhattan

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...t-take-shot/zCQY3jv6DRXrHMfAvpHgtN/story.html

Madison Square Garden has the most beautiful media work room in the NHL. Its windows look out on Eighth Avenue and the grand US Post Office on the other side of the street. Natural light floods the space.

But it was the last place I wanted to be early Wednesday afternoon following the Bruins’ morning skate ahead of that night’s game against the Rangers. Lunch was calling. In Manhattan. I was paralyzed.

There cannot be many other cities in the world with as rich a concentration of interesting food than in New York City. Whatever your pleasure, it is here. That’s a problem for me. Everything is my pleasure.

So there I was, wasting valuable time clicking through menus, plugging in subway routes, and devising the best lunch possible. On the road, I’m an unrealistic eater. I expect every meal to be a standout. I kick myself and look skyward, like a forward who blows an empty net, when a dish is anything less than terrific.

Meanwhile Hags was spotted at the White Castle on 8th Ave

o.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto is not doing the SCF but the NHL Combine and he files a food report

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...bbq-faceoff/zlF2oQLhqwvnHU6vxLPwLL/story.html

Nearly two months of life without covering an NHL game qualifies as unusual for a hockey writer. Nearly two months of life without road food qualifies as wretched.

So it was with pleasure that I peeled out of Boston on Wednesday en route to Buffalo for the NHL Combine, the annual exercise in which 18-year-olds speed-date prospective employers and throw up after bike tests.

The Boston-Buffalo drive requires a good grip on the wheel and an ever-attentive eye on the weather forecast. In June, it’s seven delightful hours of casual cruising.

Regardless of the cake drive, 450 miles calls for nourishment along the way. With plenty of time for a proper pre-scout, I settled on Syracuse as a good place to pull over, specifically for a first visit to Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Fluto needs to get a life.
And The Globe needs to get real.

HF Boards would be a better place to get out of town food advice than these clowns.

Go to the locals.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Seeing the Haggs comments in here makes me believe that it would have been gold and something we would be talking about for years if he wrote this article.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto dines in Buffalo

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-good-meals/spPZN7MgXvo6l3BpsOnsCL/story.html

As many visits as I’ve made to Buffalo, it helps to acquire inside information. This time, it came via colleague Emily Procknal. Emily is a proud Buffalonian, which is a redundant phrase.

You can refer to Zagat. Concierges know their stuff. Before its redesign, Chowhound was a critical resource.

But sometimes you have to respect a native’s knowledge.

While covering the combine, I spent three nights in Buffalo, enough time to hit four of Emily’s suggestions: Mulberry Italian Ristorante, Deep South Taco, Public Espresso + Coffee, and Jim’s Steakout. They were all first-timers for me.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I went to the one in Newark which is next to the arena and it was fine.

yeah it is ok, I have to spend time in Newark every 2-3 weeks yet, and have been to Dinosaur BBQ once and it was pretty good. I thought Fluto would pick Tops diner, or one of the Brazilian BBQ places (Newark has biggest Brazilian community in US). I guess I will have to try Hobby's Deli at some point; although a place that closes at 4 doesn't really help me much, as my office is a few miles away and has free lunch every day

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Like Fluto or anyone to report back from Rookie camp about how the kids look, could care less about the munchies around the league

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If Fluto spent as much time worrying about hockey as he does food, he would be an awesome sports reporter.

Fluto had a bad meal in Columbus :laugh:

Training camp is a time to try new things to prepare for the regular season. Coaches dress rookies alongside superstars. They play forwards on their off wings. You can afford to make mistakes in the preseason.

This philosophy also applies to the table.

I was in Columbus last week for a preseason game. I’ll be back in Ohio’s capital this week when the Bruins play the Blue Jackets in the regular-season opener. So last Thursday was a chance to try something new. In hindsight, it was a mistake.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...end-foodies/PyQEFN8AFcNEyCJ6mun6EI/story.html

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Karma for breaking the cardinal rule when attending a Blue Jackets game...

You buy the cheapest seat in the arena and sit down in the empty ass premiums and start ordering food when they come to boot you so they don't boot you since its empty/economically depressed and they aren't turning down $$$.

People simply don't use the concessions there.

Of all cities Columbus would be at the top of my list for opting for hotel room service:popcorn::popcorn:. Ohio is a seriously awful place can't think of anywhere I've been pulled over for no reason ie driving across a street from a red roof inn to get gas so I didn't have to when I woke up. Saw cops arresting (seriously cuffing and booking) jaywalkers outside Jacobs Field while aggressive homeless people pandhandled literally 10 feet from the stadium. And I had just done it didn't know where I was going it was dark and I had missed a few innings and still needed to get at ticket and stuff.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto has breakfast in Winnipeg

stella%27s%20cafe.JPG

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...table-place/OREkNLHUPBeEs1XHDTkDVL/story.html

The reaction is always the same when you tell someone you’re headed to Winnipeg: a shake of the head.

Perhaps it is a reputation not fully deserved. Yet, as a veteran of a Winnipeg visit in February, I can confirm the city is not equipped to give you a warm and welcoming hug when it’s buried under three feet of ice.

This time, before the Bruins’ visit to Winnipeg, the usual head shake was accompanied by an acceptable sentiment: At least it’s not February.

This is true. The walk to the rink is much warmer and the food on the table is a lot tastier when it’s not frozen solid. Snowballs, Winnipeg’s usual specialty, have thankfully yet to become available.

Regardless of season, you can eat well in Winnipeg, and even better when your thawed taste buds are fully functional. The French country omelet (ham, scallions, roasted mushrooms, tarragon, Swiss cheese) at Stella’s Café, buzzing on a late Sunday morning, is very good. So are its side dishes: roasted new potatoes and two slices of liberally buttered whole wheat toast with a ramekin of the house’s excellent strawberry jam.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Guy spends days dreaming about the Ramen place in LA and spends 10 minutes enjoying the meal? Slow down pal. No mentions of 2 more orders to go?

No way he can "semi-replicate" a fast food burger but can't duplicate a "straightforward dish: broth, noodles, and a few accompaniments". Give it a try. Pretty simple.

Ramen is meant to be eaten very quickly as to not let the noodles get soggy. It's basically a sin in Japan to not pound it down as quickly as possible.

Also, making good ramen broth is a serious task to take on. Any of us schmucks would probably lose an entire weekend day to making it and then it wouldn't be as good as something you can get in a shop.

Fortunately there are a few really good ramen places in the Boston area. In my opinion, the three best (in order) are Ganko Ittetsu, Yume Wo Katare, and Santouka. Just expect to feel sick if you want to eat everything at YWK.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
The bulk tea prices are not bad and similar to Serendipitea where I buy my bulk tea from
I'm a caffeine snob and don't drink coffee of any variety...I buy bulk loose tea via Upton Tea Importers (uptontea.com)...thousands of choices...great Keemum from China for those who like black tea:)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto dines in Michigan

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...best-option/tSt0EbGX9VSkoXP4gWy4VN/story.html

There are few places livelier than Zingerman’s Roadhouse in Ann Arbor, Mich., at 7 p.m. on Friday night. The kitchen staff shows more hustle than a fourth-line center. The hostess is trying to juggle a handful of reservations while putting on her best smile. The tables are full of friends and families having a good time.

This is when the solo business traveler has to swallow his pride.

I usually have zero issues with dining alone. Give me a clean table, a good menu, and something to read, and I’m good to go. But even I feel like a loser – not a stretch by any means – when I’m flying solo at peak dining rush hour. All eyes go toward the one-top with either sympathy or scorn, usually the latter.

There are times, however, when dining alone works in your favor. When I arrived at Zingerman’s, people were waiting outside. A table for myself would be a 30-minute wait. Couples were being asked to cool it for 45 minutes.

The way in would be via the bar.

I hovered behind a couple with a to-go bag, doing everything possible – coughing, sweating, sighing – to encourage them to hit the road. The vulture act worked. The two left for a more sterile environment. I had turned a wait of 30 minutes into three, tops.

I’m sure there were some who snickered at my solo presence. It’s at such times that I tell myself that these people don’t know who I am and I’ll never see them again. It doesn’t matter what they think, as long as I’m eating well and choosing a better alternative to room service or takeout. At restaurants like Zingerman’s, the chow is worth a little discomfort.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto looks for fried chicken in the Twin Cities

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...st-meal-far/VV6PzGy8IXef588e4x2BvL/story.html

MINNEAPOLIS — The hostess had no plans to give up the recipe to the batter for Revival’s fried chicken.

“Some spices and other secrets,†she said with a smile.

I’ve gotten used to secrets. Everything in the NHL is hush-hush, from upper-body injuries to maintenance days to power-play systems. It’s understandable. This is proprietary information that either lifts teams to the top of the league or into the basement.

So ahead of the Bruins-Wild game in St. Paul, such was the company line at Revival, a Southern joint in Minneapolis. They have other good dishes. One of the employees swore by the hamburger. But their bread and butter is fried chicken. As a first-time Revival visitor, I had no intention of ordering anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->