OT: Fluto rates where to eat around the league

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Well if anyone ever visits Tampa some of my favorite places are.
Petra for mediteranean food, Alez Haitian for haitian food, Tacoson for mexican, and the Super Saver Market for cuban food.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I feel that Fluto really overestimates how much Bruins fans care what he eats.

Maybe Haggs would be a bit more interesting in a look while you drive past a car wreck sort of way.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto enjoying California

With Bruins in LA, ramen is first order of business

Upon touchdown at LAX, visitors have their respective priorities in Los Angeles. Some sprint for the beach. Others head for Hollywood.

I go right to Jidaiya in nearby Gardena for ramen.

One perk to covering Bruins in LA: Coffee heaven

When the Bruins practice in Los Angeles, they skate at Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo. That’s a very good thing. With good fortune, it takes 15 minutes to drive north from El Segundo to Venice, which is also a very good thing. That’s because Venice is a serious coffee town.

The proof is on a three-block stretch on Abbot Kinney Boulevard. Two of those blocks are occupied by Blue Bottle and Intelligentsia, which are as good as you can get in coffee’s third wave. Having two of coffee’s best procurers and roasters within a slap shot’s distance is the equivalent of Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron playing on the same line: a wealth of assets.

I’m a coffee geek. I acknowledge I am in the minority, considering the music produced by the busy cash registers at our preferred New England chain.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Reading that article reminded me of the training classes I had when I worked at Seattle's Best Coffee every quarter.

To this day I love the look on people's faces when you tell them that dark roast doesn't have more caffeine in it than light roast. You can knock some over with a feather.

Dark roast has better flavor but the longer you roast the bean, the more caffein is lost.

The same could be said for when people learn that tea has more caffeine than coffee. unless it is herbal then the caffeine is almost undetectable.

Sometimes those are the places where they also serve fantastic tea.

IMO, the same methods used in third wave coffee make the best tea.

I could go on and on so I'll stop here.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Reading that article reminded me of the training classes I had when I worked at Seattle's Best Coffee every quarter.

To this day I love the look on people's faces when you tell them that dark roast doesn't have more caffeine in it than light roast. You can knock some over with a feather.

Dark roast has better flavor but the longer you roast the bean, the more caffein is lost.

The same could be said for when people learn that tea has more caffeine than coffee. unless it is herbal then the caffeine is almost undetectable.

Yeah, there's more caffeine in tea leaves than in coffee beans. As for the beverages, though, there's something like 4-5 more times in (regular) coffee - tea has about the same amount as coca-cola, if I recall correctly, which is the only source I get caffeine from. :laugh:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm familiar with Intelligentsia as they have a location just a few storefronts away from the Bruins bar in Chicago. Well run operation.

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/location/broadway-coffeebar

Me I am happy with my beloved 1369 :)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto eats goat tacos in LA :laugh:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...e-hat-trick/FRJ7dsp8AAj3oHYyulhWkJ/story.html

Generally, if a restaurant is located within a slap shot’s distance of an arena, it’s not one that usually interests me. This is the realm of the sports bar. Such establishments serve an important purpose, but they’re not my cup of tea.

El Parian, however, would require even Zdeno Chara to reload his stick once or twice before reaching its front door with a puck from Staples Center, where the Bruins closed out their California road trip with a 2-1 loss on Saturday. So whenever I’m fortunate enough to be in downtown Los Angeles, I make it a point to include El Parian on my to-do list.

If you’ve visited the area, it’s possible you bypassed El Parian. Its storefront does not quite scream for you to come in. For us greedy guts, that’s probably a good thing. It would be a shame if the masses crammed their tables.

El Parian’s specialty is birria. For Mexican enthusiasts used to favorites such as carne asada, birria is a bit outside the norm. Goat can have a strong, gamey taste. It’s not for everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad