The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Move David Pastrnak off No. 1 line?

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
All three of Marchand, Bergeron, and Pastrnak can drive possession and carry a line. Maybe at this point in their careers it makes sense to split all three of them up and instead of having one super line and a couple average lines, we have three really good lines with a dangerous offensive player on each. Imagine a team having to stop Bergeron, Pastrnak and Marchand 50 out of 60 minutes a game instead of 20?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
:popcorn:

Shinzawa: Move David Pastrnak off No. 1 line? It's a...

Water is wet. The desert is dry. David Pastrnak plays well with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron.
Yet for as much as Pastrnak’s finishing touch amplifies the rabidity of his linemates’ puck pursuit, the right wing’s spot on the first line is not guaranteed next season. If the unit has a shortcoming, it’s in how it creates deficiencies further down the chain.

The Bruins learned this the hard way in the playoffs. Lines 2 through 4 could not help extend Boston’s season beyond Round 2.

So as general manager Don Sweeney considers how to proceed with Rick Nash, an unrestricted free agent in less than a month, he may be chasing a right wing to play with Bergeron instead of David Krejci.
“It’s a prolific line,” Sweeney said of Pastrnak with Marchand and Bergeron. “It’s very difficult to stop with the chemistry they have created. We had three people at the World Championships [in May] that came back and said, ‘Boy, Krejci and Pastrnak played really well together.’ Those things filter back to the coaches. We know that’s an option for us.”

It leaves Sweeney in a delicate position: Either don’t touch what’s not broken, or look for his toolbox anyway.

its pure dumb not to experiment during the regular season {and definitely during training camp} but the final decision on this cant be made without viewing the results of our experimentation

would playing pastrnak with krejci for 5 games... 10 games... even 15 games cost us a playoff spot? I laugh... no

would it make us a better team though for playoff time? its a question we just don't know the answer to. its a question we need to find out what the answer is.

should marchand/pastrnak be left together? should it be Bergeron that ends up moving to the second line? honestly Bergeron seems the weak link offensively on that line. should Bergeron be used to create a 'second line' who is responsible for more of a 'checking role' while able to provide secondary scoring and should marchand/pastrnak just be allowed to get some guy like riley nash to cover up for them as they weave their offensive magic?

last year marchand and pastrnak didn't slow down 1 step when Bergeron wasn't with them... the line just wasn't as good defensively... but it really doesn't need to be

should we bring riley nash back specifically to play with marchand/pastrnak? should we let backes/Heinen play with Bergeron as a second line with some punch? and that allows krecji/debrusk and maybe donato to have the luxury of 3rd line matchups which should make them more dangerous

with donato and Bjork both being filled with so much offensive potential... we stand a very good chance for 1 or both to become true options for us this season. we need to put it to a test under game condition. we wont know anything sitting here in the off season other than we have a very good regular season team to begin with and are really just concerned about playoff time.

so... experiment... try to see if other combinations will spread the offense. if it doesn't work we can always go back to status quo. pastrnak/Bergeron/marchand tore things up this playoff and we still lost. obviously we aren't good enough unless we find a way to get more out of the rest of the team. will that happen organically just because everyones a year older? or do we need to spread the top 3 out a bit to elevate the other guys? it requires some experiement to get us our answer

Reactions: Strafer and Dr Hook

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I think you try Bjork there again and give him a real shot IF we don’t resign rick Nash. If we do then our top 6 is set.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's one of the best lines in hockey, Bruins strenght. That line won so many points for the team last season.

Keep that and find a quality Rw to boost DeBrusk/Krejci, Kovy for example.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm in favor of splitting them up 5 v 5 to help balance the top two scoring lines.

However, keep them together 5 v 4, where they were among the most productive PP units in the league. I think they might have been the most efficient PP unit in the league but I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'd move Marchand first. Interested in a JDB-Bergeron combo and think they'd go well with Pasternak.

Brad and DK might do well. We've never tried it. Why not?

Reactions: DarrenBanks56

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The first line is a very large reason the team put up 112 points. It put up crazy numbers in the Toronto series. It is the best overall line in the NHL. No way would I break it up. Those guys feed off each other and typically dominate. Focus on building up the other lines via trade/FA/youngsters.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Keep the top line together.

Talk Krejci into waiving his no trade, ship him somewhere he claims he will be happy with his wingers, and sign Tavares.

You're welcome, Don. :laugh:

*Retreats back to cave*

It would be so Bruins to sign Tavares and then stick Backes on his RW lol. If you're Krejci though and you have a chance to go to a St Louis bt a Tarasenko or Schwarz or another good situation you definitely waive that NMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Instead of trying to find some magic bullet to get David Krejci going, why not make David Krejci get himself going? Shuffling Pasta down because DK lacks the desire and heart to give a full effort night in and night out is silly, IMO. They went out and got DK Nash at the deadline and it didn't matter. DK still gave his usual inconsistent effort. Given that, I'd just roll the dice with whatever young guy earns the spot out of camp.
that's not really the point. it's about finding a balance.

and please, don't pull the willful ignorance BS and ignore that Krejci was playing with two injured linemates in the playoffs. that line looked terrific when they were all healthy together. besides, flaws or not, we're stuck with Krejci. you prefer they change nothing and let the Bruins continue to be a 1 line team? If they can find a mix that makes them deeper and harder to match up against then what's the problem?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think the Tampa series was its own unique thing. After game 1, even the Bergeron line did nothing at even strength. I think that was more just Tampa clamping down across the board, and some unfortunate injuries holding some players back a bit on the Bruins end as well.

I think the team is talented enough up front now that it's not like 2016/17 where they legitimately just had one line. There was a major influx of young talent this year to keep teams on their toes enough now that you can afford to stack the top line.
Tampa had a 3rd pair like every other team does, right? this is the exact reason mixing up the lines makes sense. If you're a 1 line team and that team gets shut down you're finished. if you have balance in your scoring you have a chance even against an elite top 4 as you can hopefully exploit the bottom pair. The Kucherov line did nothing against the Bruins, but their middle 6 roasted us.

If you can ice a still elite 1st line with Marchand and Bergeron and be able to match up Pasta against lesser D then how is that a bad idea? We saw the Bruins can't go deep with 1 great line.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
that's not really the point. it's about finding a balance.

and please, don't pull the willful ignorance BS and ignore that Krejci was playing with two injured linemates in the playoffs. that line looked terrific when they were all healthy together. besides, flaws or not, we're stuck with Krejci. you prefer they change nothing and let the Bruins continue to be a 1 line team? If they can find a mix that makes them deeper and harder to match up against then what's the problem?

If the alternative is to give a great resource to Krejci, just so he can continue to sleepwalk through his contract, then I'd rather keep Pasta with Marchand and Bergeron, and root for the kids to fill that hole on the second line. I don't see how weakening the one thing they have going for them helps. Simple as that.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Don Sweeney is a JOKE of a GM for not putting his full efforts this offseason into working on cloning technology of David Pastrnak.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak

How does "Sweenius" not see this solution? SAD.

FIRE SWEENEY!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Put Pasta with Krejci 5v5 but reunite Pasta with Bergeron and Marchand on the power play, where they put up a large chunk of their points.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Don Sweeney is a JOKE of a GM for not putting his full efforts this offseason into working on cloning technology of David Pastrnak.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak

How does "Sweenius" not see this solution? SAD.

FIRE SWEENEY!
Oh, come on.

They should have cloned Bergeron in 2003. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Wack Edwards

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Hell if your gonna break up the best line in hockey by taking off Pasta go crazy with it and spread the depth all around

Donato Bergeron Kovalchuk
Marchand Krejci Bjork
DeBrusk Heinen Pastrnak
Cehlarik Kuraly Backes

Let’s have some fun haha

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
should marchand/pastrnak be left together? should it be Bergeron that ends up moving to the second line? honestly Bergeron seems the weak link offensively on that line. should Bergeron be used to create a 'second line' who is responsible for more of a 'checking role' while able to provide secondary scoring and should marchand/pastrnak just be allowed to get some guy like riley nash to cover up for them as they weave their offensive magic?

last year marchand and pastrnak didn't slow down 1 step when Bergeron wasn't with them... the line just wasn't as good defensively... but it really doesn't need to be

should we bring riley nash back specifically to play with marchand/pastrnak? should we let backes/Heinen play with Bergeron as a second line with some punch? and that allows krecji/debrusk and maybe donato to have the luxury of 3rd line matchups which should make them more dangerous

/QUOTE]

Dammmn, I like this! :thumbu::clap:specifically, the bolded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad