The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Move David Pastrnak off No. 1 line?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:popcorn:

Shinzawa: Move David Pastrnak off No. 1 line? It's a...

Water is wet. The desert is dry. David Pastrnak plays well with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron.
Yet for as much as Pastrnak’s finishing touch amplifies the rabidity of his linemates’ puck pursuit, the right wing’s spot on the first line is not guaranteed next season. If the unit has a shortcoming, it’s in how it creates deficiencies further down the chain.

The Bruins learned this the hard way in the playoffs. Lines 2 through 4 could not help extend Boston’s season beyond Round 2.

So as general manager Don Sweeney considers how to proceed with Rick Nash, an unrestricted free agent in less than a month, he may be chasing a right wing to play with Bergeron instead of David Krejci.
“It’s a prolific line,” Sweeney said of Pastrnak with Marchand and Bergeron. “It’s very difficult to stop with the chemistry they have created. We had three people at the World Championships [in May] that came back and said, ‘Boy, Krejci and Pastrnak played really well together.’ Those things filter back to the coaches. We know that’s an option for us.”

It leaves Sweeney in a delicate position: Either don’t touch what’s not broken, or look for his toolbox anyway.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think it's time. Can't put all your eggs in one basket. Bergy & Marchand will be productive no matter who you put on that wing, but if you can get Krejci going it's a whole different team.

I've also considered splitting up Marchand & Bergeron at ES for the same reasons. both those guys drive play all on their own. Together they're incredible, but both are capable of carrying a line and Bergeron looked just fine with Heinen & Pasta when Marchand had his 5 game suspension this year.

I'd probably start with putting Pasta & Krejci together but in general I think Cassidy needs to be more willing to mix things up in the top 6 this year.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
If there is a strong enough candidate that opens up that flexibility, sure.

I don't see one on the current roster that can play those top-line match-up minutes.

Keep the line together.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I think it's obvious we need to since our depth scoring got exposed in the playoffs. One line can only be so productive. We won't be splurging for a UFA on the wing. The first line will be fine without Pasta and the 2nd line needs Pasta. David Krejci needs a lifeline and that comes in the form of a Pastrnak.

Also this doesn't mean you can't reunite the trio when you need to. I think of how Kessel is used in Pittsburgh, sometimes he's with Malkin, sometimes he's not to spread the wealth.

I also would love to watch Donato and Bjork fight for playing time on that first line.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I would have no problem with this change. If the Bruins need to score, they could always put Pastrnak back with Marchand and Bergeron.

What is interesting is that Fluto mentioned that the Bruins may still target a RW via trade to play with Bergeron and Marchand.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Nah. I was someone who was always of the thought that you should just put a plug on that line and mask the depth as much as possible (I was good with Connolly there, and kept wanting them to put Hayes up with Bergeron when he was here), but Pastrnak genuinely adds something different to that line and takes it to a new level. Pastrnak was never bad with Krejci, but for some reason they never completely clicked. I would definitely go with Donato on the Krejci line to start, obviously with DeBrusk on the left side.

Bjork puzzles me. I never saw what others do in him to the point where I'd just pencil him in on that line right away.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nah. I was someone who was always of the thought that you should just put a plug on that line and mask the depth as much as possible (I was good with Connolly there, and kept wanting them to put Hayes up with Bergeron when he was here), but Pastrnak genuinely adds something different to that line and takes it to a new level. Pastrnak was never bad with Krejci, but for some reason they never completely clicked. I would definitely go with Donato on the Krejci line to start, obviously with DeBrusk on the left side.

Bjork puzzles me. I never saw what others do in him to the point where I'd just pencil him in on that line right away.

don't you feel though, one of the reasons was bc Pasta didn't peak??

Well last season he peaked and at times was the best player on the 1st line. He could be this player for the 2nd line (along with Debrusk)

The bigger concern is who takes his place in the 1st line and can play at a high level

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Instead of trying to find some magic bullet to get David Krejci going, why not make David Krejci get himself going? Shuffling Pasta down because DK lacks the desire and heart to give a full effort night in and night out is silly, IMO. They went out and got DK Nash at the deadline and it didn't matter. DK still gave his usual inconsistent effort. Given that, I'd just roll the dice with whatever young guy earns the spot out of camp.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
don't you feel though, one of the reasons was bc Pasta didn't peak??

Well last season he peaked and at times was the best player on the 1st line. He could be this player for the 2nd line (along with Debrusk)

The bigger concern is who takes his place in the 1st line and can play at a high level
I think he brings creativity and skill to that line that the other two have never seen (even with Seguin). Pasta has faults in his game like trying to do too much at times and turning the puck over, but a lot of that is masked considering how much the other two tilt the ice. He's the only one on that line in a long time that actually brings something new to the table and isn't just a pylon that stays out of their way and cleans up the garbage. It's more or less a perfect line as far as I'm concerned, and it's tough to go away from that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We always hear about the vaunted chemistry between Bergeron and Marchand (not saying it isn't there mind you) to the point where they haven't been separated in 8 seasons, which is quite amazing.

But you know which two players also have an incredible chemistry IMO? Marchand and Pastrnak. And it's that chemistry which makes me want to keep those two wingers together.

Plus it's time to stop catering to an aging David Krejci. Bruins have enough young wing talent that it's not like Krejci is getting some sort of raw deal being asked to play with the likes of Debrusk/Heinen/Donato/Bjork.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Instead of trying to find some magic bullet to get David Krejci going, why not make David Krejci get himself going?

Yep. He's a $7 mil/yr creative, highly skilled center. It ought to more more about who he CAN'T make look better by playing with him. Every year of late it's "find a winger to get Krejci going." You're right, he needs to get himself going and make the players he's lined up get going.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Gotta love fans.

Leafs fans whining that we don't load up our first line like Boston does.

Boston media pointing out it may be better to spread the offense out. Too top heavy with the loaded up first line.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think he brings creativity and skill to that line that the other two have never seen (even with Seguin). Pasta has faults in his game like trying to do too much at times and turning the puck over, but a lot of that is masked considering how much the other two tilt the ice. He's the only one on that line in a long time that actually brings something new to the table and isn't just a pylon that stays out of their way and cleans up the garbage. It's more or less a perfect line as far as I'm concerned, and it's tough to go away from that.

I understand

but we saw in the playoffs as teams focused to shut that line down (and did a pretty decent job) ....nobody else could score. This is dangerous

having at least 2 capable lines, spreads the opponents energy thin. Then could open things up not for just the top 2 lines but everybody else

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
You will hate me, but chemistry between Marchand and Pasta > chemistry between Marchand and Bergeron. It was pleasure to watch those wingers together. I'm telling what I have seen last season.

Well ehmmmm probably .... I have never seen better coorporation between wingers in hockey!

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I understand

but we saw in the playoffs as teams focused to shut that line down (and did a pretty decent job) ....nobody else could score. This is dangerous

having at least 2 capable lines, spreads the opponents energy thin. Then could open things up not for just the top 2 lines but everybody else
I think the Tampa series was its own unique thing. After game 1, even the Bergeron line did nothing at even strength. I think that was more just Tampa clamping down across the board, and some unfortunate injuries holding some players back a bit on the Bruins end as well.

I think the team is talented enough up front now that it's not like 2016/17 where they legitimately just had one line. There was a major influx of young talent this year to keep teams on their toes enough now that you can afford to stack the top line.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
You do that and don't be surprised when Marchand isn't scoring nearly as many points as he does now, there's a reason that he went from what he was, to what he is now and it's not ALL just him being better.

Also I seriously hate the idea of giving one of our most energetic and creative players to Krejci, he just is so slow and doesn't seem to care much anymore.

Tampa series was a statistical anomaly where every line got cold at ES at the same time.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Is there any reason why they CAN'T just put a young guy like Donato with Krejci?

Or Bjork? I'd see no problems outside of experience with that. Debrusk has already become in one season the engine for that line.

Reactions: Strafer

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Bruins have two of the best wingers in the game with Marchand and pasta.

Either they play on the same line or two different line is a good problem to have...

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Is there any reason why they CAN'T just put a young guy like Donato with Krejci?

Or Bjork? I'd see no problems outside of experience with that. Debrusk has already become in one season the engine for that line.

he is not a RW and looked awkward at times playing it

he looked more natural as a LW.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Keep the top line together.

Talk Krejci into waiving his no trade, ship him somewhere he claims he will be happy with his wingers, and sign Tavares.

You're welcome, Don. :laugh:

*Retreats back to cave*

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
You will hate me, but chemistry between Marchand and Pasta > chemistry between Marchand and Bergeron. It was pleasure to watch those wingers together. I'm telling what I have seen last season.

Well ehmmmm probably .... I have never seen better coorporation between wingers in hockey!

I agree...but overall there was synergy between the three

I guess with your point.....why not try and flip Krejci and Bergeron around

Marchand Krejci Pasta
Debrusk Bergeron ?

When Bergeron was out with injuries and we saw on rare occasions (with goalie pulled etc) the line of Marchand Krejci Pasta....looking real good (i mean these wingers made Riley Nash look good)

Bergeron on the flipside has a bit more skating speed and I think he would mesh well with Debrusk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->