The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Jarome Iginla retiring as a Calgary Flame, but impact in Boston went beyond his ice time

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
You have to wonder how things would have played out if Iggy had come to the Bruins in 2013 instead of Pittsburgh.

Jarome Iginla retiring as a Calgary Flame, but impact in...

There were no hard feelings. The Bruins were still big on Iginla, even after he had seemingly used his no-trade protection to land in Pittsburgh.

The Bruins didn’t have much cap space to chase Iginla. But on July 5, 2013, the Bruins signed Iginla to a one-year, $1.8 million base salary. The trick Chiarelli used was with bonuses.

By appearing in 10 games for the Bruins, Iginla would receive an additional $3.7 million. It was easy money for Iginla. For the team, the payout would be tabulated at year’s end.

The Bruins had traded Seguin. But they believed that with Iginla, Loui Eriksson, and Reilly Smith, they would still be strong at right wing.

Iginla, riding mostly with Milan Lucic and David Krejci, scored 30 goals and 31 assists. The Bruins dispatched Detroit in the first round. Carey Price and the Canadiens upset them a round later.

By the time the financial books closed on 2013-14, the Bruins were facing a bind for the following season. Mostly because of Iginla’s bonuses, the Bruins had exceeded the cap by approximately $4.5 million. The penalty would be applied to 2014-15. The financial infraction was compounded when Iginla signed with the Avalanche.

Iginla’s departure and the dead money hurt the Bruins deeply in 2014-15. Smith, who scored 51 points as a first-year Bruin, slipped to a 13-27—40 total. David Pastrnak scored 10 goals as an 18-year-old rookie. Chiarelli’s last-gasp swing to reinforce the right side by acquiring Brett Connolly blew up when the ex-Lightning took a puck off his right hand in his first practice.

The Bruins missed the playoffs. Chiarelli was fired.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I saw in another article that he introduced Chara, Bergeron, and some other guys to a coach that helps them work on their shots. Wonder if that's how Bergeron developed his snipe from the side of the right circle.

It's sad when a guy of his stature never wins Stanley. Especially when they leave a team they were with for a long time to chase it. Not everybody gets Bourque's results.

Reactions: BMC and Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I saw in another article that he introduced Chara, Bergeron, and some other guys to a coach that helps them work on their shots. Wonder if that's how Bergeron developed his snipe from the side of the right circle.

It's sad when a guy of his stature never wins Stanley. Especially when they leave a team they were with for a long time to chase it. Not everybody gets Bourque's results.

If he had chosen Boston in 2013 they might have beaten Chicago. Then Seguin might not have been moved - but then how could they have signed him in 2014?

The Cup was there to be taken in 2014 but once again Poutineville was in their heads.

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
If he had chosen Boston in 2013 they might have beaten Chicago. Then Seguin might not have been moved - but then how could they have signed him in 2014?

The Cup was there to be taken in 2014 but once again Poutineville was in their heads.
Good points. I have said for a long time that if Iggy would have stuck to his word and signed with the Bruins in 2013 instead of letting Crosby change his mind we would have won the cup that year. He would’ve added just enough offence and grit to take out Chicago, meanwhile Jagr was pretty much useless and a wasted roster spot . Iggy’s 30 goals the next season with us proved he had lots left in the tank . Woulda , coulda , shoulda ...

Reactions: Chief Nine

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
what was the package that the B's were going to send to Calgary? Would have been more than we gave up (MacDermid, Payne and a 1st) to get Jagr.

edit: looks like it would have been Bartkowski, Koko and a 1st. that would have been a steal in hindsight

Reactions: KnightofBoston

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
what was the package that the B's were going to send to Calgary? Would have been more than we gave up (MacDermid, Payne and a 1st) to get Jagr.

edit: looks like it would have been Bartkowski, Koko and a 1st. that would have been a steal in hindsight

Yea and for the record I’m not sure Iginla said yes to the trade and then changed his mind, pretty sure their GM said yes but Iginla chose Pitts over Boston, their gm had no choice but to make the call.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

If Sequin wasn’t partying every night and puking in a toilet every morning and playing to just 75% of his potential they would of won in 2013.

Still a crappy trade though.

I am sure Iginla will always regret it like Will Smith turning down The Matrix to make Wild Wild West

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Iginla absolutely cost us a cup in 2013.

For one, he probably produces more than Jagr, and secondly, he hurt Horton's shoulder in a fight during the regular season matchup against Pittsburgh. Horton wasn;t the same the rest of the way.

Then he goes and ruins our cap for one year of cup chasing, which I guess is more Chiarelli's fault, but it screwed us for two years afterwards.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Iginla absolutely cost us a cup in 2013.

For one, he probably produces more than Jagr, and secondly, he hurt Horton's shoulder in a fight during the regular season matchup against Pittsburgh. Horton wasn;t the same the rest of the way.

Then he goes and ruins our cap for one year of cup chasing, which I guess is more Chiarelli's fault, but it screwed us for two years afterwards.
You guess it was Cia’s fault? It was completely his fault. What did you expect Iglina to do? Turn it down saying “I cant take that money and chance for the cup. It will hurt your cap”

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017

I think they would have beaten Chicago in 13 with Iginla. Had he been here a little longer I think he would been Recchi-like as a veteran well past his prime while providing a lot of leadership. Maybe, for example, Thornton wouldn't have done the childish water squirting at PK Subban.

Reactions: Krupp

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
I think they would have beaten Chicago in 13 with Iginla. Had he been here a little longer I think he would been Recchi-like as a veteran well past his prime while providing a lot of leadership. Maybe, for example, Thornton wouldn't have done the childish water squirting at PK Subban.

Oh yeah, they lost because Thornton squirted water ....

Did they win in 2011 because Feremce gave the finger?

Reactions: McGarnagle

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Yea and for the record I’m not sure Iginla said yes to the trade and then changed his mind, pretty sure their GM said yes but Iginla chose Pitts over Boston, their gm had no choice but to make the call.

Aaron Ward of TSN who was the 1st to break the news he had been traded to Boston was talking about this on TSN 690 yesterday. From what he said I came away with the same impression.

Here's the link https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/ward-iginla-and-i-are-forever-linked-1.1148036

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Oh yeah, they lost because Thornton squirted water ....

Did they win in 2011 because Feremce gave the finger?

The most frustrating thing in my lifetime as a Bruins fan is the number of times the Bruins have led 3-2 after 5 games going to a Game 6 in Montreal and they have failed to win that game forcing a Game 7 in Boston. Taunt them in the handshake line after you beat them - not before.

Reactions: BMC and BigGoalBrad

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
It's taken me 5 years, but I've finally been able to re-watch some of the Hawks/Bruins Final from 2013.

I know it sometimes feels better to have a scapegoat. But just as I don't subscribe to the belief in another thread that Tim Thomas' White House snub cost the team a Cup in 2012, after reviewing the 2013 Final, I'm not convinced Iginla changes the outcome.

Sure, it was a winnable series, but sometimes you just lose to the better team. And that Hawks team was absolutely stacked, with multiple future Hall of Fame players in their peak years.

Now the 2014 loss to the Habs at home after winning the President's Trophy, that is inexcusable.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's taken me 5 years, but I've finally been able to re-watch some of the Hawks/Bruins Final from 2013.

I know it sometimes feels better to have a scapegoat. But just as I don't subscribe to the belief in another thread that Tim Thomas' White House snub cost the team a Cup in 2012, after reviewing the 2013 Final, I'm not convinced Iginla changes the outcome.

Sure, it was a winnable series, but sometimes you just lose to the better team. And that Hawks team was absolutely stacked, with multiple future Hall of Fame players in their peak years.

Now the 2014 loss to the Habs at home after winning the President's Trophy, that is inexcusable.

Most Blackhawks fans will say that 2013 was the hardest final they were in. The Bruins with a couple of puck bounces could have swept the Hawks in 4. If they had Iginla instead of Jagr :dunno:

I first became aware of Iginla when he starred for Canada in the World Juniors that was played in Boston in 1996.

Reactions: Aeroforce

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

How can you say that? Daugevins puts the puck in the empty net and it's 3-1

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Most Blackhawks fans will say that 2013 was the hardest final they were in. The Bruins with a couple of puck bounces could have swept the Hawks in 4. If they had Iginla instead of Jagr :dunno:

I first became aware of Iginla when he starred for Canada in the World Juniors that was played in Boston in 1996.

Of the Hawks' three Cups, I definitely agree the Bruins gave them the toughest test.

In the dark days before high speed internet, NHL Center Ice, NHL Network, and such (otherwise known as the 90's ;)) I started following the Dallas Stars since they were closest to me and I could get many of their games on cable.

I was aware of Iginla's name when they traded him, their top prospect, for Joe Nieuwendyk.

In hindsight, I guess that was a fair trade. The Stars lost what will turn out to be a Hall of Famer, but got a Cup.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

That was my intro to him as well, me and a gang of young punks packed up the Partridge family mini van and headed to Boston, great team, terribly unfortunate that at that time, the tourney just hadn`t caught steam yet in the USA, not the case these days thankfully, we typically and easily found our way down to seats at C ice, rows from ice level

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
How can you say that? Daugevins puts the puck in the empty net and it's 3-1

Not sure I follow. If he buries that and they win Game One, there's no way to predict how the rest of the series unfolds. In all likelihood, the Hawks still get a split of the first two.

Watching in hindsight, Chicago carried the play for stretches, and outshot Boston 5 of 6 games.

I wish they won, but that Hawks team was very good.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I dunno. I often wonder if Boston could've taken the Hawks with Iggy...

But it's moot point now. I wish the fella the best of luck and happiness in retirement. It's sad he didn't get a cup before he went on his way out, but he' still had a hall of fame-worthy career, so there's that at least.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
We had to screw up our team for 2 years to get him to sign for one the dude reamed us hard on the contract after he left us at the altar for Pittsburgh. Was a huge fan of his when he was a Flame but the Iginla saga had a lot to do with us not getting a second Cup. Do we make the Boychuk trade if we aren't saddled with a huge cap hit for Iginla in 2014/2015 when hes not even on the team?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

there was 1 game decided by more than 1 goal

4-3 L 3OT
2-1 W OT
2-0 W
6-5 L OT
3-1 L - with an empty netter
3-2 L

As said above, if they get Iginla, they also dont lose Horton to a shoulder injury. So the lineup becomes:

Horton - Krejci - Lucic
Marchand - Bergeron - Iginla
Seguin - Kelly - Peverley
Thornton - Campbell - Paille

Iginla choosing Pittsburgh in the 11th hour almost certainly cost him that Cup he so desperately chased.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Iginla still had 12pts in 15 games even though I remember Pens fans saying he was being horribly misused on his offwing.

I have to imagine he would've looked better than Jagr on Bergeron's right side.

Reactions: Chief Nine

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Good on Chiarelli for looking to cash in on the window and try for multiple Cups. When the window is open in a cap world, you have to go for it. I don’t begrudge him at all.

As for Iginla, I look at him as a mercenary towards the end. I’m not losing any sleep over the fact that he didn’t get his Cup. He can pound sand as far as I’m concerned especially considering him taking the money at the end with Colorado.

That’s his prerogative.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Not sure I follow. If he buries that and they win Game One, there's no way to predict how the rest of the series unfolds. In all likelihood, the Hawks still get a split of the first two.

Watching in hindsight, Chicago carried the play for stretches, and outshot Boston 5 of 6 games.

I wish they won, but that Hawks team was very good.

You're right, I thought that was Game 4.

But this is Game 4 and all Kelly has to do is slide it over to Seguin and it's the same thing.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad