The Athletic - Boston Fluto: It’s not bad luck. The Bruins are not as good as the Lightning

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's not bad luck. The Bruins are not as good as the Lightning

There is no argument here if, in the Round 2 duel between No. 1 left wings, you declare the Bruins’ Brad Marchand (four goals, one assist) and the Lightning’s Ondrej Palat (four goals, two assists) a tossup. Both have been excellent. Perhaps even the best players for their respective teams.

But consider the following matchups between starting goalies, No. 1 centers, top-line right wings, No. 1 defensemen and power-play quarterbacks in the series:

Andrei Vasilevskiy (.927 save percentage)
Jaroslav Halak (.891)

Brayden Point (1 G-5 A—6 P)
Patrice Bergeron (0-1—1)

Nikita Kucherov (2-5—7)
David Pastrnak (1-4—5)

Victor Hedman (3-1—4)
Charlie McAvoy (0-0—0)

Mikhail Sergachev (1-2—3)
Torey Krug (0-3—3)

In the playoffs, the teams whose best players are the best players usually win. It is why Tampa Bay is up 3-1 in Round 2 following Saturday’s 3-1 Game 4 win.

The Lightning are better than the Bruins.​

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
It's not bad luck. The Bruins are not as good as the Lightning

There is no argument here if, in the Round 2 duel between No. 1 left wings, you declare the Bruins’ Brad Marchand (four goals, one assist) and the Lightning’s Ondrej Palat (four goals, two assists) a tossup. Both have been excellent. Perhaps even the best players for their respective teams.

But consider the following matchups between starting goalies, No. 1 centers, top-line right wings, No. 1 defensemen and power-play quarterbacks in the series:

Andrei Vasilevskiy (.927 save percentage)
Jaroslav Halak (.891)

Brayden Point (1 G-5 A—6 P)
Patrice Bergeron (0-1—1)

Nikita Kucherov (2-5—7)
David Pastrnak (1-4—5)

Victor Hedman (3-1—4)
Charlie McAvoy (0-0—0)

Mikhail Sergachev (1-2—3)
Torey Krug (0-3—3)

In the playoffs, the teams whose best players are the best players usually win. It is why Tampa Bay is up 3-1 in Round 2 following Saturday’s 3-1 Game 4 win.

The Lightning are better than the Bruins.​
You just need to watch the games from the 3rd period of game 1 the Bruins were chasing pucks and picking them out of their net!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It’s true, but it’s also about matchups. I think the Islanders have a tougher time with Boston than Tampa. But Bruins keep losing to teams that abuse the Bruins small D and make them defend instead of breaking out. We talk about the secondary scoring as a problem, and it is, but if the Bruins are giving up 1-3 goals instead of 3-4 goals you can cover that weakness better.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Love how he leaves off Marchand, because that f***s up his argument. I'd also say that it's laughable that he's drawing a negative for Krug against Sergachev when they have the same number of points. Pasta and Kucherov are a near dead heat too. In reality the Bruins are getting beaten because the foot speed of Tampa is allowing them to get to the loose pucks before the Bruins D can, and they've been able to sustain offensive pressure into 3, 4, 5 chances at a time at points. It's hard to win when you struggle getting out of your own end for long stretches. I fully expect them to roll over next game anyway, and that will end this odd year for them.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It’s true, but it’s also about matchups. I think the Islanders have a tougher time with Boston than Tampa. But Bruins keep losing to teams that abuse the Bruins small D and make them defend instead of breaking out. We talk about the secondary scoring as a problem, and it is, but if the Bruins are giving up 1-3 goals instead of 3-4 goals you can cover that weakness better.
I rewatched the first 8 minutes of the second period when they didn’t play Chara and the Bruins dominated and had fantastic breakouts

at the 8 minute mark Clifton got a retaliatory penalty Chara came out till kill penalty and they never got back to that

when they sit him they move the puck

I coached D for years and learned the best defenseman are the ones that get it out and are in the other
zone

The Bruins were in the same style they were against Carolina when they scored 4 goals with Chara sitting

it was so dominant that Carlo almost scored playing like a center

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I rewatched the first 8 minutes of the second period when they didn’t play Chara and the Bruins dominated and had fantastic breakouts

at the 8 minute mark Clifton got a retaliatory penalty Chara came out till kill penalty and they never got back to that

I coached D for years and learned the best defenseman are the ones that get it out and are in the other
zone

The Bruins were in the same style they were against Carolina when they scored 4 goals with Chara sitting

He just flips the puck out if they don’t get to him. Not good for transition. Constantly gives up possesion.

Fluto.......sigh.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Fluto's a really bad writer. No one is arguing it's about luck, but these specific player comparisons are nonsensical. The top line has factored into 6 of the 8 goals. The top guys have been fine, it's the depth that is killing them, and Cassidy's inability to properly match-up against Tampa's best players. Why do you think the Krejci line has been so bad? It's because Cassidy is doing nothing to avoid them being out against the Point line. Why has Cirelli, a Selke candidate, been so bad? It's because he's primarily seeing the Bergeron line.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

zone

I hear you on Chara, but Krug has also struggled this time and in 2018. I don’t know enough to say it’s Carlo or if Krug’s quick clever moves don’t work when the other team can skate with him AND play the body...maybe it’s both...but to me it looks like McAvoy, Gryz and Clifton are doing a lot more of the lifting and the Krug/Carlo pairing is having a tough time in addition to Chara.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Fluto, Fluto, Fluto. I actually like him for the most part because he writes some interesting stuff about the players and the team off the ice. When it comes to actual hockey though, he is not that great.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I hear you on Chara, but Krug has also struggled this time and in 2018. I don’t know enough to say it’s Carlo or if Krug’s quick clever moves don’t work when the other team can skate with him AND play the body...maybe it’s both...but to me it looks like McAvoy, Gryz and Clifton are doing a lot more of the lifting and the Krug/Carlo pairing is having a tough time in addition to Chara.

Krug is struggling badly out there. I agree with Dan, Chara is a liability at this point everywhere except on a penalty kill (once it settles into the box that is), and in front of the net on a defensive zone draw. However, no one should be surprised by that. The guy is 43 for crying out loud, HOFer or not. Krug, though, has been terrible. Carlo too, but are they making each other worse, or just independently awful? I would think Cassidy would have broken up that pair at least for a game, or most of a game to find out.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Love how he leaves off Marchand, because that f***s up his argument. I'd also say that it's laughable that he's drawing a negative for Krug against Sergachev when they have the same number of points. Pasta and Kucherov are a near dead heat too. In reality the Bruins are getting beaten because the foot speed of Tampa is allowing them to get to the loose pucks before the Bruins D can, and they've been able to sustain offensive pressure into 3, 4, 5 chances at a time at points. It's hard to win when you struggle getting out of your own end for long stretches. I fully expect them to roll over next game anyway, and that will end this odd year for them.

Marchand is compared to Palat in the opening sentence.

Reactions: LSCII

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thought it was a pretty good piece actually - just some hard truths some fans don’t want to face IMO. Boston’s best haven’t been good enough and it works right on down the line...
Marchand and Pastrnak have been the whole offense and Bergeron is the only player that hasn't been on the ice for a goal against at any strength (outside of Kuhlman playing 12 minutes last game without a goal against). This series is on the depth.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I don't have the pleasure of reading Fluto anymore but it's not a fallacy.

The eldest part of the Bruins core is either off the score sheet (Bergeron), off in their own world (Krejci), off the pace (Chara) or effectively off the team (Rask).

Bergeron has the least excuses as he's playing with the best. Krejci could definitely be better despite DeBrusk not playing to potential and Kase doing nothing at all. Chara's minutes are on the coach. There's nothing that can be done about Rask. Age is catching up.
Time to fully introduce Studnicka, and he needs to be at center in the next regular season.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Marchand and Pastrnak have been the whole offense and Bergeron is the only player that hasn't been on the ice for a goal against at any strength (outside of Kuhlman playing 12 minutes last game without a goal against). This series is on the depth.
Great stat for Bergeron but he’s also got juts 1 assist through 4 games. That’s your #1 Hall if Fame center. Marchand and Pasta are great but getting evenly matched by Tampa’s top guns. From there all the way through the rest of the roster they’re just getting beat.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Great stat for Bergeron but he’s also got juts 1 assist through 4 games. From the top of the roster all they way through they’re just getting beat.
That line isn't getting beat though. They're the only ones carrying play and not giving up anything against. They aren't going to produce every night, someone else needs to step up. 2 of the PP goals were identical set plays with Bergeron drawing Hedman into the slot as a decoy. Who cares if he's getting a point on that or not, he's still a focal point of how that play develops. 4-0 with Bergeron on the ice, 4-16 with him off the ice.

Marchand, Pastrnak and/or Bergeron factored in on all 13 goals last time the Bruins lost to the Lightning in 5, and that didn't matter. Tampa's depth burns the Bruins depth every time.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Admittedly it’s poor form for me to suggest this as a possibility, but I would consider asking my elite if they’d be open to moving and trying to stay ahead of the window closing curve.

In my opinion, it’s time to move on - and frankly I’d rather see that be a holistic move on - from coaching and management as well.

Yes, I know, cynical of me. But arguably pragmatic, too.

Reactions: LouJersey

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
That line isn't getting beat though. They're the only ones carrying play and not giving up anything against. They aren't going to produce every night, someone else needs to step up. 2 of the PP goals were identical set plays with Bergeron drawing Hedman into the slot as a decoy. Who cares if he's getting a point on that or not, he's still a focal point of how that play develops. 4-0 with Bergeron on the ice, 4-16 with him off the ice.

Marchand, Pastrnak and/or Bergeron factored in on all 13 goals last time the Bruins lost to the Lightning in 5, and that didn't matter. Tampa's depth burns the Bruins depth every time.
I hear you but they’re without their #1 goalie, their #1 center has one assist and their #1 defenseman has been shut out. I mean we can cry “depth” all we want but fact of the matter is they’re just flat out getting beat.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
They’re without their #1 goalie, their #1 center has one assist and their #1 defenseman has been shut out. I mean we can cry “depth” all we want but fact of the matter is they’re just flat out getting beat.
I think placing the blame on the first line in this series is absurd considering they're the only ones that bothered to show up on either side of the puck. When the rest of the lineup is getting outscored 16-4, you may want to look somewhere else for the blame game. The 4th line has been outscored 5-0, the 2nd line has been outscored 4-0 and the 3rd line has been outscored 4-2. The Lindholm/Nordstrom unit is the one getting victimized on the PK.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think placing the blame on the first line in this series is absurd considering they're the only ones that bothered to show up on either side of the puck. When the rest of the lineup is getting outscored 16-4, you may want to look somewhere else for the blame game. The 4th line has been outscored 5-0, the 2nd line has been outscored 4-0 and the 3rd line has been outscored 4-2. The Lindholm/Nordstrom unit is the one getting victimized on the PK.
The blame runs top to bottom. Sure the top line has been better than the rest, but let’s not confuse that with being better than Tampa’s

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The blame runs top to bottom. Sure the top line has been better than the rest, but let’s not confuse that with being better than Tampa’s
I think that factors into how bad the Bruins depth has been though. Look at the goals the Point line is scoring, it's basically like the Bruins are scrimmaging, big breakdowns.

4th line

3rd line

2nd line

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
I hear you but they’re without their #1 goalie, their #1 center has one assist and their #1 defenseman has been shut out. I mean we can cry “depth” all we want but fact of the matter is they’re just flat out getting beat.

The top line has been involved in 19 of the 21 goals against Tampa in 2018 and 2020 playoff series. It's pretty obvious where the issue is when three players are responsible for over 90% of your team's offensive output.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Admittedly it’s poor form for me to suggest this as a possibility, but I would consider asking my elite if they’d be open to moving and trying to stay ahead of the window closing curve.

In my opinion, it’s time to move on - and frankly I’d rather see that be a holistic move on - from coaching and management as well.

Yes, I know, cynical of me. But arguably pragmatic, too.

After a very, very good 15 year run, that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen IMO. Might be time for new eyes/ideas. Let's see if they can't come back first, but it could be time.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad