The Athletic - Boston Fluto: How the Bruins’ trade deadline moves solidified their Seattle Kraken expansion draft plans

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Right now for me I'd protect

Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Smith, DeBrusk, Coyle, Frederic
McAvoy, Carlo, Grz
Vladar

Zboril is still the guy I think I see what it would take for them to select him. That leaves you with Grz/Lauzon and if you re-sign Reilly then you're in good shape on your left side.

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
I still think Lauzon is the one who goes. If they resign Reilly your top four is

Gryz-Mac
Reilly-Carlo

Very strong defensive group tailor made for today’s NHL
Tailor made to get absolutely destroyed by Washington for the next five years. With Mantha, Ovechkin, Wilson etc all locked in for a little while I find this top 4 pretty soft and underwhelming (besides McAvoy).

Reactions: The National

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Don’t give Seattle anything.

Let them take whoever they want not protected.

Bruins in great shape whatever happens.
Absolutely! Been saying this for a long time.

Vegas totally took advantage of some bad decisions from other clubs in regard to this. I don't want the Bruins to make the same foolish mistakes.

I'd much rather accept that the Bruins lose their eleventh best player (at worst) and go rolling right into next season.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
Is Booth the goalie we expose? the goalie either has to have a contract or in the case of restricted, been made a QO.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Tailor made to get absolutely destroyed by Washington for the next five years. With Mantha, Ovechkin, Wilson etc all locked in for a little while I find this top 4 pretty soft and underwhelming (besides McAvoy).
Is that the same capitals that this Bruins team is 4-1-2 this season? The same Capitals team that has losing or mediocre record against every other team in playoff contention? Are those the capitals your afraid of?

Honestly what are you watching? The Islanders are much more of a threat than Washington and they haven’t been the same since Lee went down.

The only regulation to the Caps this season was the 8-1 game where the Bruins best defenseman in that game was Lauzon.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Ovechkin is literally a UFA lmao

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
Ovechkin is literally a UFA lmao
And I “literally” can’t see him not resigning. Oshie 5 years, Mantha 4, Wilson 4, Hathaway 3, and Ovechkin most likely resigned. Reilly was awful in the last Caps game, Carlo is a good defender but overmatched against bigger teams, so I’m hoping Grz is exposed over Lauzon. Hate that contract.

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
Is that the same capitals that this Bruins team is 4-1-2 this season? The same Capitals team that has losing or mediocre record against every other team in playoff contention? Are those the capitals your afraid of?

Honestly what are you watching? The Islanders are much more of a threat than Washington and they haven’t been the same since Lee went down.

The only regulation to the Caps this season was the 8-1 game where the Bruins best defenseman in that game was Lauzon.
4-1-2 is a skewed way of looking at it. So they are 4-3, basically even over a spread out season series. It’s a helluva lot different in a seven game series getting pounded constantly () by their oversized forwards. I’m pretty sure we saw that against the Blues not too long ago.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Why protect DeBrusk?

Use his $ to sign Hall and keep Lauzon.

Is Carlo still an auto protext over Lauzon? Hmmm?

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why protect DeBrusk?

Use his $ to sign Hall and keep Lauzon.

Is Carlo still an auto protext over Lauzon? Hmmm?

Well in both cases, I think you are talking about players who if you make the decision to move on from they have good to substantial value in the trade market.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
4-1-2 is a skewed way of looking at it. So they are 4-3, basically even over a spread out season series. It’s a helluva lot different in a seven game series getting pounded constantly () by their oversized forwards. I’m pretty sure we saw that against the Blues not too long ago.
Their exact record against a team is a skewed way of looking at it? That’s certainly a “this doesn’t jive with my opinion so it’s wrong” way of looking at things.

All of the best teams in the NHL this season are strong in transition and move the puck extremely well. That is where the league is going. Outside of Washington none of them play an overtly physical game either.

So the Bruins should model their defense to play against one team with a 35 year old winger? A head case who is one bad decision away from a 20+ game suspension, and a big soft marshmallow winger?

Im sorry your still scarred from that cup run, I am too, but the Bruins are building this the right way. Even if you don’t agree, I would be surprised to see that capitals team get out of this division.

Also nothing for nothing, but if you were to ask me who intimidated me the most on the capitals, my answer wouldn’t be Ovechkin, Wilson, Etc. The scariest guy on that team IMO is Oshie, he kills Boston

Reactions: inactive user

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I still think Lauzon is the one who goes. If they resign Reilly your top four is

Gryz-Mac
Reilly-Carlo

Very strong defensive group tailor made for today’s NHL

Is it though? You’re missing nasty in there and come playoffs, that is needed. McAvoy is the only one here that plays with any type of nasty/physicality.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Is it though? You’re missing nasty in there and come playoffs, that is needed. McAvoy is the only one here that plays with any type of nasty/physicality.
I can’t fight this battle on two fronts lol if you don’t think they’re physical enough that’s fine, it’s a fair point and I won’t disagree.

I personally think that a transition game is more important in today’s NHL than an overtly physically aggressive one. Lauzon and Miller play a physical game, but I understand they both can’t be relied upon all the time for a variety of different reasons.

The best teams in this league right now aren’t “nasty” or especially physical IMO, but if this is how you feel I won’t outright disparage it. Just don’t share the same view on it

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I can’t fight this battle on two fronts lol if you don’t think their physical enough that’s fine, it’s a fair point and I won’t disagree.

I personally think that a transition game is more important in today’s NHL than an overtly physically aggressive one. Lauzon and Miller play a physical game, but I understand they both can’t be relied upon all the time for a variety of different reasons.

The best teams in this league right now aren’t “nasty” or especially physical IMO, but if this is how you feel I won’t outright disparage it. Just don’t share the same view on it

I think your competition to the Cup has a mix of everything. Bruins do have nasty/physicality but I still think it lacks in the top 4 defense. Also, when I say nasty/physicality I don’t just mean big hits and after the whistle stuff. Net front battles are crucial come the SC playoffs.

If you go through the Eastern conference and look at these teams rosters (especially defensively) they all seem consistent in having bigger defensemen who are tough on the puck in the Top 4. Boston lacks this if Lauzon isn’t in there.

But I definitely agree that you need transition back there too. Bruins are definitely a contender with their additions. It’s going to be a war.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Someone that doesn't get mentioned much if at all in these discussions but who I can see Seattle taking a definite interest in is Connor Clifton. The way his game has come along this season he has to be on the Kraken radar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad