The Athletic - Boston Fluto: How Charlie Coyle’s deal, and expansion Seattle’s arrival, touch Torey Krug’s future

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If chara is on a 1 year... seattle can talk to him. He might say, yeah i will sign a new deal with you

Or... he might say, go ahead and pick me. My deal expires july 1 and im resigning in boston

I dont see a problem. I dont see why seattle would take any ufa unless that ufa was resigning. Even then... why waste the pick?

Taking a rfa might make alot of sense... but ufa rights expire and you cant force them to stay beyond july 1

They don't have to select an RFA or UFA. I keep bringing this up and most seem to ignore it.

Seattle has a 5 day exclusive window to talk to any RFA/UFA they want. Even the team that owns the players rights can't talk to them. They can sign that player and then that player would count as the player selected from that team.

Before we bring up some conspiracy theory or some back room deal, not a single agent out there is going to risk being decertified and lose their livelihood (I personally asked 3 agents about this and their reply was "are you nuts?"). And no NHL team is going to forfeit a first round pick + a player to Seattle for trying to circumvent the process.

Reactions: Strafer

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i assume guys like krejci and chara would just wait til the expansion draft is over to re-sign
with boston. that is if their first choice is to stay. it's just common sense. allows bruins to
keep the strongest team they can.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
i assume guys like krejci and chara would just wait til the expansion draft is over to re-sign
with boston. that is if their first choice is to stay. it's just common sense. allows bruins to
keep the strongest team they can.
I was just going to write this. There is no reason to sign them before the expansion draft and then have to protect them.

BruinsNetwork

I think the decision is really pretty easy. Similar to Colin Miller. Leave Gryz unprotected. If they take him we slide someone up to fill the slot like Gryz did for Miller.

Don't think it's that simple, honestly. Grzelcyk is an immensely better player than Colin Miller is or was, IMO. I don't think all the "pick this guy instead of this guy" deals worked out for those teams in the last expansion draft, but I think Sweeney will make a deal with Seattle in some capacity. The Bruins have the left-shot depth so potentially replace Grzelcyk with Vaakanainen, Lauzon and maybe Zboril, but losing him to Seattle wouldn't be very fun.

BruinsNetwork

I agree 100%. It's what I would do.

However, you play Don Sweeney here. Chara wants to play another year. He wants a NMC. What do you do?

Remember though, the draft takes place in June, the contract is in effect until July 1 so he would require protection. If Krug re-signs, he's going to want a NMC so he'll require protection. That leaves one spot.

I know what I would do. Want to see if we are on the same page.

If it were up to me, I'd let him walk without hesitation.

Chara has been great in Boston, obviously, but at some point you need to either let the young left-shot forwards get their reps and trust what the scouts saw or you have to use them as currency.

Lauzon can play meaningful minutes in the NHL right now.
Vaakanainen can play meaningful minutes in the NHL right now as well.
Zboril? He's a bit of a question mark, but he's looked like a player in some capacity in his small showing with Boston.

John Moore is currently on a five-year deal and he's certainly an NHL player.

Clifton is proving to be an intriguing player in the NHL.

Grzelcyk can play top-four minutes.

I'm not sure I have an answer for any of this, but it seems like things could get a bit dicey next year while Sweeney has some tough decisions to make.

Reactions: sleepyh

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don't think it's that simple, honestly. Grzelcyk is an immensely better player than Colin Miller is or was, IMO. I don't think all the "pick this guy instead of this guy" deals worked out for those teams in the last expansion draft, but I think Sweeney will make a deal with Seattle in some capacity. The Bruins have the left-shot depth so potentially replace Grzelcyk with Vaakanainen, Lauzon and maybe Zboril, but losing him to Seattle wouldn't be very fun.

I'll be honest I'm having trouble seeing how the Bruins can afford to sign UFA Krug and RFA Gryz for next year, let alone deal with the expansion draft.

Then factor in Chara, Moore still in the mix for now, Vaak looking close to ready, and Zboril and Lauzon needing to clear waivers if they are qualified and re-signed, I wonder if Sweeney doesn't make the Krug vs. Gryz decision this summer.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I'll be honest I'm having trouble seeing how the Bruins can afford to sign UFA Krug and RFA Gryz for next year, let alone deal with the expansion draft.

Then factor in Chara, Moore still in the mix for now, Vaak looking close to ready, and Zboril and Lauzon needing to clear waivers if they are qualified and re-signed, I wonder if Sweeney doesn't make the Krug vs. Gryz decision this summer.

agree, i think gryz is gone if krug stays. bruins can probably get a mid to late 1st round pick
for gryz if they went that route.

Reactions: BruinDust

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They don't have to select an RFA or UFA. I keep bringing this up and most seem to ignore it.

Seattle has a 5 day exclusive window to talk to any RFA/UFA they want. Even the team that owns the players rights can't talk to them. They can sign that player and then that player would count as the player selected from that team.

Before we bring up some conspiracy theory or some back room deal, not a single agent out there is going to risk being decertified and lose their livelihood (I personally asked 3 agents about this and their reply was "are you nuts?"). And no NHL team is going to forfeit a first round pick + a player to Seattle for trying to circumvent the process.

a window for talking is great... but lets ignore that for a second and move to a more human equation

how likely is it for certain ufa to want to go to an expansion team?

obviously vegas had a couple guys embrace going there... but vegas is admittedly a special place. I think Englund was from vegas so it was a homecoming for him. and I think fleury had won his cups and was just seeking a place to be loved

where would we imagine the movitation would be for chara?

as you yourself point out dom... signing an ufa in the exclusive window does count as a pick. so I personally see no danger at all that seattle would sign chara in the window. they can talk to him I guess... measure his interest in signing... but why forego taking a pick and then signing chara in the normal window?

I think this talk of the exclusive window of signing when it comes to chara... is just noise. of course, with an rfa its different

signing rfa under normal circumstances involves a lot of compensation. if vegas could pouch a Charlie McAvoy type or a mitch marner type rfa WITHOUT OWEING ANY COMPENSATION then that would be HUGE

we will need to get our rfa protected for this reason... get them signed... get them protected...

I just cant see how this logic applys itself to ufa though. I would seriously imagine seattle will wait until the july 1st period before signing ufa just so they didnt screw themselves out of the picks they are owed.

and... as I was trying to say earlier... I cant picture a guy like chara wanting to leave boston to go to seattle. if they are foolish enough to 'PICK' him, I simply dont believe he would sign. he would get picked... wait until july 1st as an ufa… and then resign with boston. seattle will waste their pick if they put in a claim on chara.

on the other hand... if im wrong... and if chara DOES WANT TO GO TO SEATTLE??? then... he is an ufa. theres NOTHING we can do about it. We will have to just let him go.

in any case, it makes no sense to use one of our protection spots on him. either he wants to go to seattle or he doesnt. if he doesnt, then they cant make him

and that same logic applies to every ufa in the league

Lo97

May 10, 2019
I honestly can’t remember concern about the expansion draft rules or any complaining about the quality of the team Vegas assembled until they surprised almost everyone and did well.

It’s not like expansion comes out of nowhere and leaves teams scrambling. GMs have had years to prepare for this and work out deals to avoid losing a good asset for nothing.
Exactly? People only complain about the expansion draft after Vegas completely shocked the world and went to the final. Everyone said they would be horrible their first year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->