The Athletic - Boston Fluto: How Charlie Coyle’s deal, and expansion Seattle’s arrival, touch Torey Krug’s future

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
I think the decision is really pretty easy. Similar to Colin Miller. Leave Gryz unprotected. If they take him we slide someone up to fill the slot like Gryz did for Miller.

Reactions: bbfan419

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
I can see the Bruins sending Zboril or pick to Seattle to keep a player like Gryz. Couple of deals like that Vegas took advantage of.

Reactions: bruins19

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So, there's fans elsewhere talking about this: Urho Vaakanainen not exempt because he will have completed his third professional season - meaning he will require protecting.

However, I am of the belief that his first year does not count because of the injury he sustained while up in Boston and thus does not meet the AHL games played to count as a season - which is also why the Bruins were able to slide his contract his first year.

As is always the case when I am not 100% certain, I email someone who would know. Answer to come - hopefully today. Or, throw another monkey in the wrench.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So, there's fans elsewhere talking about this: Urho Vaakanainen not exempt because he will have completed his third professional season - meaning he will require protecting.

However, I am of the belief that his first year does not count because of the injury he sustained while up in Boston and thus does not meet the AHL games played to count as a season - which is also why the Bruins were able to slide his contract his first year.

As is always the case when I am not 100% certain, I email someone who would know. Answer to come - hopefully today. Or, throw another monkey in the wrench.

Hopefully you're right on this because that's frightening if he's not exempt.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hopefully you're right on this because that's frightening if he's not exempt.

Frightening isn’t really the word as we can only lose one of these guys. On our end there is no difference between giving Vegas a choice of 1 really good player or 3 of them.

Reactions: Lo97

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
With 31 teams in the league it’s very likely 6 d men better than Gryzlyk and Urho are available to Seattle. But would they have 12 forwards out there better than Heinen/Bjork?

We’re the best team in the NHL and we are gonna give them a good player but we’ll be OK Backes finally coming off the books and the expansion selection SHOULD pay for everyone’s raises.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Silva

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I miss the old expansion draft standards where the new teams were so moribund they competed for incompetency records. There was something charming about that initiation process. And when the team came together and turned the corner after 3 or 4 seasons, it was usually nice to see that as well.

Last edited:

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Not totally sure how this works, but could Boston not just sign Krug to a short term deal leading up to the expansion so that he's a UFA come draft and then sign him after Seattle has taken from every team. That way, we could just resign Krug even if they take him with the expired contract.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I think the decision is really pretty easy. Similar to Colin Miller. Leave Gryz unprotected. If they take him we slide someone up to fill the slot like Gryz did for Miller.
Yup - what’s the value in having all that nhl level depth on defense if it’s not to have a few guys who can step right in.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Learnt from vegas... its not safe to assume we know anything

Saw 100 mock drafts and they were all off the mark. My own mock draft had maybe 5 picks correct

But also learnt teams shot themselves in the foot giving away kids to protect vets.

If we lose a vet... lose the vet. Keep our cap space. Keep our depth.

Grzelyck is a fine player but not a cornerstone... and he will be paid. At some point you move guys like this and cycle through new elcs

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
GMs aren't going to fall for the same stuff Vegas pulled off.

Every team is going to lose a good player. We can whine about the Bruins losing someone good but every team will lose someone good. Your only losing one player folks. Not two or three.

I suspect most GMs are just going to go with what they can control, which is making their protected list without trying to be all cute about it and let the chips fall where they may.

So if the Bruins go 7-3, they will likely lost a solid D-man.

8 skaters and your down a pretty good forward. I remember Nashville went this route and lost James Neal. I'm sure Nashville fans weren't happy at the time but really it wasn't that big of a loss.

The Bruins have drafted and developed pretty well, your always going to lose quality contributors year-to-year. I don't see the expansion draft as anything to be concerned about.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I was half correct. Got confirmation this morning. Be happy and rejoice

Urho.png

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Something about the expansion process that does bug me a bit is how teams MUST expose one of their two goaltenders. The league now is so tight, it's not even debatable in my mind anyways that if you want playoff success, you need two quality netminders to get you to the dance and still have enough gas left for a big run.

So your looking at 3-4 teams who will lose quality netminders. So an expansion team will be better set-up in goal than 3-4 existing teams. Seems unfair to me.

At the very least I think they should be limited to only being able to select two goaltenders, and not be able to raid the ranks of back-up goaltenders.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I was half correct. Got confirmation this morning. Be happy and rejoice

View attachment 288377

Certainly to me anyways makes the expansion decision pretty clear for Boston.

Go 7-3. Protect Carlo, McAvoy, Krug. Lose one of Gryz/Clifton (likely Gryz). Meaning you still have 4 out of 5, and Urho.

McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Gryz/Clifton
Urho

If that's your Top 5 D-men heading into 2021-22 your in pretty good shape IMO.

Reactions: BAD BOY

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Certainly to me anyways makes the expansion decision pretty clear for Boston.

Go 7-3. Protect Carlo, McAvoy, Krug. Lose one of Gryz/Clifton (likely Gryz). Meaning you still have 4 out of 5, and Urho.

McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Gryz/Clifton
Urho

If that's your Top 5 D-men heading into 2021-22 your in pretty good shape IMO.

I agree 100%. It's what I would do.

However, you play Don Sweeney here. Chara wants to play another year. He wants a NMC. What do you do?

Remember though, the draft takes place in June, the contract is in effect until July 1 so he would require protection. If Krug re-signs, he's going to want a NMC so he'll require protection. That leaves one spot.

I know what I would do. Want to see if we are on the same page.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

However, you play Don Sweeney here. Chara wants to play another year. He wants a NMC. What do you do?

Remember though, the draft takes place in June, the contract is in effect until July 1 so he would require protection. If Krug re-signs, he's going to want a NMC so he'll require protection. That leaves one spot.

Pains me to say it but if Chara is demanding a NMC on a 1-year deal to play the 2020-21 season as a Bruin, and that's the hill he's willing to die on, knowing that he would require protection for the Seattle draft, I have to let the big man walk. Cold but it's a business after all.

EDIT: I assumed Krug is extended in this scenario (although it might not change my decision on Chara).

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site

Same. Especially when all the teams that made a deal with vegas to have a particular player not chosen got burned.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Something about the expansion process that does bug me a bit is how teams MUST expose one of their two goaltenders. The league now is so tight, it's not even debatable in my mind anyways that if you want playoff success, you need two quality netminders to get you to the dance and still have enough gas left for a big run.

So your looking at 3-4 teams who will lose quality netminders. So an expansion team will be better set-up in goal than 3-4 existing teams. Seems unfair to me.

At the very least I think they should be limited to only being able to select two goaltenders, and not be able to raid the ranks of back-up goaltenders.
unfortunately NHL expansion is a business-first proposition. They want these teams to be better-set up than a lot of the existing teams because they know they aren't expanding into traditional top-tier hockey markets and these organizations need every advantage to be successful. We're not in an era where an expansion team can survive with a Scott Melanby type as their best player.

It sucks for fans of the existing teams, but it's ultimately what the league wants.

Reactions: BruinDust

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Pains me to say it but if Chara is demanding a NMC on a 1-year deal to play the 2020-21 season as a Bruin, and that's the hill he's willing to die on, knowing that he would require protection for the Seattle draft, I have to let the big man walk. Cold but it's a business after all.

EDIT: I assumed Krug is extended in this scenario (although it might not change my decision on Chara).
maybe I'm naive, but I've got to think Chara is smart enough to understand all this and that he'd be willing to accept a handshake agreement with Sweeney that they aren't going to move him anywhere when he's 43 and on a 1 year deal. Even without a NMC, it seems really far-fetched to imagine the Bruins moving him when he's going year-to-year until he retires. It would be a massive black eye to the organization if they didn't let him finish his career here on his terms. The NMC seems largely unnecessary.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
maybe I'm naive, but I've got to think Chara is smart enough to understand all this and that he'd be willing to accept a handshake agreement with Sweeney that they aren't going to move him anywhere when he's 43 and on a 1 year deal. Even without a NMC, it seems really far-fetched to imagine the Bruins moving him when he's going year-to-year until he retires. It would be a massive black eye to the organization if they didn't let him finish his career here on his terms. The NMC seems largely unnecessary.
The Bruins will do right by Chara they wouldn’t move him if he didn’t have a NTC and if they tried he could retire if he wanted. They would ask him what team would he be interested in going, He would tell them and they move him out of respect even if it meant getting pennies on the dollar. It’s not happening anyway because the bruins will be in the running for the cup the next three years anyway. I don’t care about the other players age they may be getting old but the still have game and are in great shape. It will be the players that are drafted and how they develop which will be more important when the other players they have now retire or leave.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

If chara is on a 1 year... seattle can talk to him. He might say, yeah i will sign a new deal with you

Or... he might say, go ahead and pick me. My deal expires july 1 and im resigning in boston

I dont see a problem. I dont see why seattle would take any ufa unless that ufa was resigning. Even then... why waste the pick?

Taking a rfa might make alot of sense... but ufa rights expire and you cant force them to stay beyond july 1

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad