The Athletic - Boston Fluto: How Charlie Coyle’s deal, and expansion Seattle’s arrival, touch Torey Krug’s future

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This IS going to be a puzzle that will keep Don awake at night

How Charlie Coyle’s deal, and expansion Seattle's arrival,...

Two years ago, they did not want to say goodbye to Colin Miller, one of the pieces they acquired from Los Angeles for Milan Lucic. But they exposed Miller by protecting seven forwards (Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, David Krejci, David Backes, Ryan Spooner, Riley Nash), three defensemen (Krug, Zdeno Chara, Kevan Miller) and one goalie (Tuukka Rask).

Although they lost Miller, they shielded Nash, the unheralded but versatile veteran pivot. Spooner, one of the other protected forwards, became trade collateral to acquire winger Rick Nash from the New York Rangers.

This time, if they repeat the 7-3-1 scenario, it would allow them to protect two more players than the other option: eight skaters and one goalie. The 8-1 format would allow the Bruins to protect more than three defensemen; Nashville did this to keep Mattias Ekholm, Ryan Ellis, Roman Josi and P.K. Subban. But this perk would sacrifice volume and set up the potential of losing an important forward.

Let’s say, for example, the Bruins re-sign Krug. This could make them lean toward the 8-1 model, allowing them to protect Krug, Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo and Matt Grzelcyk.

Up front, they would start by protecting Bergeron, Marchand and Pastrnak. But it would leave them with a difficult decision for the fourth and final spot: Coyle or DeBrusk. Whoever is left exposed will likely be claimed. The Bruins would not find either possibility pleasant. It would also leave Danton Heinen and Anders Bjork unprotected as well.

The 7-3-1 model would ensure the forwards are not raided. But after protecting McAvoy and Carlo, the Bruins would have to expose Krug or Grzelcyk. Like Coyle, the Bruins would not re-sign Krug long term to let him go to Seattle. Losing Grzelcyk, who will be 27 by then, would be a below-the-belt boot.

On the other hand, if Krug does not re-sign, the Bruins would find it easier to go 7-3-1. Up front, they would likely protect Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle, DeBrusk, Heinen and Bjork. On defense, they would make McAvoy, Carlo and Grzelcyk hands-off. In that case, Seattle would probably draft Connor Clifton.

Reactions: TCB and Silva

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The Bruins are going to be one of the teams that will need to make a trade this time around.

yep. Time to get creative.

“here, take this decent draft pick and/or prospect, in exchange for a garbage pick and a promise to poach Kampfer from us.”

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't see it as too complicated this time around. Go 7-3-1 and protect Bergy, Marchand, Pasta, DeBrusk, a hopeful 2RW or similar and Coyle. Only choice then is between Bjork and Heinen, or if no additional winger is acquired then you can protect both. Krejci may be expendable by then but if not he's a UFA in 2021 and thus exempt if they don't re-sign him before July, so that's an option - same goes for Kuraly, and for Rask, if they did happen to have another goalie at that stage they wanted to also protect.

Then on D you protect McAvoy, Carlo & Krug. If Seattle wants a defender from the Bruins, you give them Clifton plus a little something extra as a means of retaining Grzelcyk.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I understand that expansion teams need to be somewhat competitive to start out as a new team in the league, but after seeing how Vegas made it to the SC Finals in their first season is ridiculous when some established teams haven't made the Finals for decades

The NHL needs to relax their rules and make it easier for teams to protect more players ...period

**** expansion

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I understand that expansion teams need to be somewhat competitive to start out as a new team in the league, but after seeing how Vegas made it to the SC Finals in their first season is ridiculous when some established teams haven't made the Finals for decades

The NHL needs to relax their rules and make it easier for teams to protect more players ...period

**** expansion

You make some good points but with how much money Vegas has helped to generate, they’re not going to change the rules. It’s all about money.

Reactions: Tbaybruin and BMC

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
You make some good points but with how much money Vegas has helped to generate, they’re not going to change the rules. It’s all about money.

Each owner gets $21.67 MILLION from Seattle

That's the problem ...everything is all about the money for the poor owners and the poor players ..but screw the fans!

..just another reason why I'm really starting to despise this ****ing league

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I know people are concerned about losing Gryz, but we have Moore, Vaak, Lauzon, and Zboril on the left side ready to step in. I hope they make a trade, but they’re dealing from a position of strength.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If Krug signs, maybe think outside the box a little?

Fire off a 2nd to Seattle and ask them to pick between Clifton and Heinen. Sucks but you’re going to lose someone anyways. Might as well have some say in it

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Why would you pay them to take someone of value? Pay them to take Backes or Moore or Wagner. Not to take a valuable piece.

backes will be gone by then, but your point remains valid. i would give them a 2nd to take moore.
he's a steady player, real character presence and that cap hit is more than reasonable for a guy
that can play up and down your pairings.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

**** expansion

I honestly can’t remember concern about the expansion draft rules or any complaining about the quality of the team Vegas assembled until they surprised almost everyone and did well.

It’s not like expansion comes out of nowhere and leaves teams scrambling. GMs have had years to prepare for this and work out deals to avoid losing a good asset for nothing.

Reactions: Lo97 and Iceage

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Seems pretty simple to me. Protect 7-3-1

Assuming everyone signs on d you protect Krug, McAvoy, Carlo and you expose Gryz.

Looking around the league (again, if everyone re-signs and stays where they are) I can find 8 d-men that I would take before Gryz. Seattle is not going to select 9 NHL d-men under contract and risk exposing one to waivers.

If I'm Seattle and looking at Boston and what's available around the league, I'm looking at one of the forwards or a d-man I can stash in the AHL or maybe, even maybe Daniel Vladar who I can also stash in the AHL for a year IF I think the potential is there.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seems pretty simple to me. Protect 7-3-1

Assuming everyone signs on d you protect Krug, McAvoy, Carlo and you expose Gryz.

Looking around the league (again, if everyone re-signs and stays where they are) I can find 8 d-men that I would take before Gryz. Seattle is not going to select 9 NHL d-men under contract and risk exposing one to waivers.

If I'm Seattle and looking at Boston and what's available around the league, I'm looking at one of the forwards or a d-man I can stash in the AHL or maybe, even maybe Daniel Vladar who I can also stash in the AHL for a year IF I think the potential is there.
true, there's Palm Springs to stock, not just Seattle, unlike Vegas, which had an existing team as an affiliate, then does Seattle foray into the ECHL at some future point, once they're fully ready to go

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Must remember that Seattle also has an exclusive 5 day window in which only they can talk to RFA's and UFA's (as an example, they can discuss contract with David Krejci while the Bruins can't).

If Seattle signs such a player, that would count as their pick from the respective team.

I just feel the article was written with Bruins colored glasses on and didn't look at the full scope - such as "is this Bruins player better then what Seattle can grab from somewhere else"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad