The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Contractual hardball with Charlie McAvoy is not in the Bruins’ future. The past says so

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Simply by virtue of McAvoy having some injuries, on a per game basis McAvoy plays more than anyone else, when he is in the lineup he is the player who plays the most of any bruin other than the goalies.
Chara was the leader for TOI per game last year. And all 3 I have named have had injuries also.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Chara was the leader for TOI per game last year. And all 3 I have named have had injuries also.

Alright you got me, Torey Krug is our #1 defenseman.

I don't know how i can explain this any easier, when the whole roster is healthy, McAvoy plays the most minutes of any defenseman on the team, in the playoffs those numbers go up to 24-27 minutes a game for Charlie.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
He turned it down before the injuries. He doesn’t hold the cards as much as people here think. He’s only recently started to play good hockey. This year has been an underwhelming year. In fact, they should have benched him in the beginning. Count on a bridge deal.
People need to stop labeling this kid as the next one and just label him for what he’s done. They aren’t going to pay him because of the hope of the fans.

He has shown that he's a low end #1 defenceman before reaching the age of 22. Even if his development stalls and he's "just" a regular top pairing defenceman, 6-7 million per year is going to look very cheap with the cap going up and contracts getting bigger and bigger. Any sort of long term deal you can get right now will start to look amazing in about 2 or 3 years. Ask Leafs fans if they are happy that Morgan Rielly is locked up for 5 million per year until 2022, even though it was a slight overpayment when he signed the deal.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not worried one bit about this signing. I think this has been one of Donny`s strength`s, getting solid players under contract for a fair but not outrageous number and I think he`ll do the same with CM

Yeah yeah I know, Backes isn`t/wasn`t the greatest deal but nobody could have predicted all the health/injury issues he would face

Lockheed

Scope Dope
Feb 1, 2007
SW Asia
So do you think the Bruins came in low on money then?

What would make him think they are now going to up the dollar value....
No. Why would he lock himself down with a long contract while he is developing? To maximize his earnings he would want a short term deal. If he develops into an even better player(probably will) he can cash in with a long term deal at a much higher dollar amount.

Reactions: Jamie Rodgers

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
So do you think the Bruins came in low on money then?

What would make him think they are now going to up the dollar value....

None of us know how much per year or for how long a term.
So it makes it near impossible to determine which party is where on the scale.

Having said that if the Bruins are buying UFA years or he is looking for lock out assurance ( both likely) it can be complex.

Reactions: Jamie Rodgers

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Agreed. Tough to see his AAV surpassing the 3 big guns on the top line.

I’m sure they’d understand considering Bergeron might not even play more than 8 years beyond this season, Marchand will likely end up making the same or taking a cut depending on his status in his last year,he won’t be young anymore

And pasta will likely get a raise

I think all three understand business

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He’s going to kick ass this postseason which will only make his number go up.

Gonna put up 7 point in the first round. He’s still needing to be a bit more consistent in the defensive zone but once he does, to quote Lester Bangs, “Boy Howdy!” You can see him trusting his offensive instincts more lately and it’s great.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I've posted this before, but if you look at the second contracts of his comparables, all of them except Ekblad have signed for very similar deals. The cap hit percentage is between 7% and 8%, and the length is 6 years. I believe the cap is going up $3 million, so that would put it at $82.5 million next year. That would put his contract range at $5.775 - $6.6 million for 6 years. I'm sure his agent will try to get him the Ekblad contract, but that's the outlier, both in term and money.

Reactions: GloveSave1

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I’m sure they’d understand considering Bergeron might not even play more than 8 years beyond this season, Marchand will likely end up making the same or taking a cut depending on his status in his last year,he won’t be young anymore

And pasta will likely get a raise

I think all three understand business

I’m sure they would understand because they’re professionals (and Krejci is the highest paid player currently). I just think that is the highest level the Bruins would consider and honestly the upper end of what he’s worth. As the poster a couple above me said, there’s some very comparable contracts that are well below the big 3 contracts.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Bruins will get him at a good number holding all the cards in RFA status

We do this all the time... “that guy would cost a gazzilion bizzilion dollars” or “to trade for that guy you’d have to start with DeBrusk, Carlo, and a 1st” ...

It always turns out to be much less in the real world.

McAvoy will get the next step up on the ladder, not vault to the top.

Sometimes you can give a “bit” more money for term, I hope they do that. That’s all. Add a year or two to that bridge. It’s hard to imagine him signing anything too long at this stage. The following one is his big one.

I’d like to eek out a 5 year deal this time, but I bet we’re looking at 4.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad