The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Bruins will make a trade, but how much of their future are they willing to cede?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
100% I'm taking a "win now" attitude. We have more good prospects than we'll ever have room for. I'm fine with a high-impact rental if it means Bergeron, Chara et al get to lift another Cup. The window is closing.

With Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Pasta all having great seasons, and Rask playing dialed-in, and a decent (again) back-up in Halak, and some young D-men who are starting to make their presence felt... the time to go for it is now!

I'm ready to swap 5 more years of having a merely competitive team with a Championship.
How about 5 years of just merely a competitive team?

I think the Bruins are still at the point we need to see what we have, and see which guys pan out.

Throwing out the young potential for (what I consider) half-assed win now chances aren't good for the franchise. This team is solid, but not elite. We shouldn't be in the "all-in" mode, as we are still years away.

I'm not against moving any of the young players or prospect. Just if we do, I sure as hell hope it's for someone that's gonna be on this team (and we want them here) for years to come.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Does anyone else have a subscription to the Athletic?

I find their Bruins content to be lacking quality for the most part. At least when compared to the teams I follow from other sports.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I find their Bruins content to be lacking quality for the most part. At least when compared to the teams I follow from other sports.
I am a subscriber but I didn`t subscribe with the belief that Bruin coverage would be plentiful. I love it, in depth stories, not your cookie cutter stuff IMO

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I am a subscriber but I didn`t subscribe with the belief that Bruin coverage would be plentiful. I love it, in depth stories, not your cookie cutter stuff IMO
Same here. When I subscribed they didn't even have writers for the Boston area and many other cities. Easily the best sports app out there and worth the money imo. Just wish they would hire Kirk Luedeke to write about the Bruins.

Reactions: TCB, BMC and Fenway

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
As long as they deal from a position of strength like they did last year for Nash I’m ok with it

Bruins have a lot at left d, I wouldn’t get rid of Senyshyn. No one else has his tool set in the pipeline

I would consider trading JFK, Fitzgerald, Zboril for starters

Reactions: Strafer

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
How about 5 years of just merely a competitive team?

I think the Bruins are still at the point we need to see what we have, and see which guys pan out.

Throwing out the young potential for (what I consider) half-assed win now chances aren't good for the franchise. This team is solid, but not elite. We shouldn't be in the "all-in" mode, as we are still years away.

I'm not against moving any of the young players or prospect. Just if we do, I sure as hell hope it's for someone that's gonna be on this team (and we want them here) for years to come.

You feel winning the Cup is "half-assed"?

Which of our current prospects do you feel will make this team "elite' in 5 years? More elite than Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Rask are now? They won't be as elite in 5 years.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
But if it's a rental, the deal fails for about at least 15/16 playoff teams.
I don’t agree with that thinking. I think you want to show your team that you’re an organization that goes for it. I think it’s important for the young players to know there’s no such thing as a season that doesn’t matter. If a rental can help further that cause then it’s worth it, IMO.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It is the best site for overall NHL coverage

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I don’t agree with that thinking. I think you want to show your team that you’re an organization that goes for it. I think it’s important for the young players to know there’s no such thing as a season that doesn’t matter. If a rental can help further that cause then it’s worth it, IMO.
How has that worked out the past 5 seasons?

Didn't trade Eriksson missed the playoffs.
The years we did make it in, we gave up assets for the likes of Lee Stempniak and a bunch of players I can't/don't want to remember, and rental Rick Nash (yes, I know what happened wasn't planned, but he was still a rental nonetheless). Countless other inconsequential moves that add up to less ability to move out players for actual needs.

With the way the team is built, I'd rather suffer through some of the younger guys learning the ropes and losing, than acquiring or signing Brian Gionta or Lee Stempniak types that don't really push us over the hump. Both scenarios, we don't win, but one gives us better hope when we are ready.

I guess it's where everyone sees this current team. I personally don't think 1-2 players is going to make us a contender, unless those players young enough and are legitimately here for at least a few more years.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
How has that worked out the past 5 seasons?

Didn't trade Eriksson missed the playoffs.
The years we did make it in, we gave up assets for the likes of Lee Stempniak and a bunch of players I can't/don't want to remember, and rental Rick Nash (yes, I know what happened wasn't planned, but he was still a rental nonetheless). Countless other inconsequential moves that add up to less ability to move out players for actual needs.

With the way the team is built, I'd rather suffer through some of the younger guys learning the ropes and losing, than acquiring or signing Brian Gionta or Lee Stempniak types that don't really push us over the hump. Both scenarios, we don't win, but one gives us better hope when we are ready.

I guess it's where everyone sees this current team. I personally don't think 1-2 players is going to make us a contender, unless those players young enough and are legitimately here for at least a few more years.

I agree that meaningless half-way moves at this point probably won't do it. I think the argument for going all in now is that the Bruins have (potentially) 3 HOFers on their lineup right now, and all (except maybe Chara but perhaps on limited situations) are still at an Elite level. Since those players will probably not be at an elite level in a few years, and there is NO guarantee the kids will ever achieve that elite level the Bruins have now, then why not go all in?

Reactions: chizzler

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
What will probably happen is another Sweeney failure. "Prices were too high" "We simply weren't willing to give up our great, young talent". My favorite will be when Pasta comes back. "Pasta returning is like trading for an all-star". The last one has virtually set Sweeney up for an excuse.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
They should pay none. They have to stay the course and eat the bullet for this year. One player is not going to make the team an instant contender. Don't get me wrong: Bruins are a good team but there's too many holes, this year, to consider them as a strong contender and pay a premium for a rental.

Reactions: lxndr and BMC

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
They should pay none. They have to stay the course and eat the bullet for this year. One player is not going to make the team an instant contender. Don't get me wrong: Bruins are a good team but there's too many holes, this year, to consider them as a strong contender and pay a premium for a rental.
Yep add a little spice like a pageau staal type and let's roll . No need to deplete the farm. If rask or Halak hot and D holds we can go quite deep.

Reactions: mg08

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014

Too many holes? I see just 2 holes, and neither is that hard to fill. Third line centre, and competent second line winger (doesn't have to be a star considering that we have 4 star forwards already).

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
I'm kind of soured on the whole "keep our prospects at all costs" mentality. Sweeney and Co. should be going for it all over the next 1-3 years. If this means dealing top prospects and first rounders to land stud players then go for it. If it doesn't; work out, then reload, retool, restock in 3 years. I'm also confident in their drafting ability, which should also help in the long term.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm kind of soured on the whole "keep our prospects at all costs" mentality. Sweeney and Co. should be going for it all over the next 1-3 years. If this means dealing top prospects and first rounders to land stud players then go for it. If it doesn't; work out, then reload, retool, restock in 3 years. I'm also confident in their drafting ability, which should also help in the long term.

That’s pretty much where I’m at.

Aside from Pasta...who, under age 25 projects to be as productive as Bergeron or Marchand?

Heck, I don’t think there’s anyone in the system at this point who will have a career 3/4 as good as Krejci’s.

They need to add to this core now, otherwise we’re 4-6 short years away from lamenting a huge missed opportunity.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Too many holes? I see just 2 holes, and neither is that hard to fill. Third line centre, and competent second line winger (doesn't have to be a star considering that we have 4 star forwards already).
I'm not really sure how someone could watch Jake Debrusk on Krejci's wing all season long and not conclude they also need a #2 LW. This says nothing about him as a person or his future on the team, but he's simply not a second line player this season and that has contributed to the team's lack of scoring.

Reactions: easton117

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Something big to me means Mark Stone or Panarin, who are the two biggest names out there that can produce and are in their primes so they can fit into a team's main core. I would prefer Mark Stone.

A sneaky, cheap move to bolster the third line center spot would be Blake Coleman. Elite penalty killer, 18 goals so far this year, fast, and plays with grit ( 150 hits so far this year, over 200 last year ). The guys is also only 27, so he can help for a few more years and at a fantastic contract of 1.8per until 2021.

Donato, JFK, Zboril, 1st round pick for Mark Stone

Bjork, 2nd round pick for Blake Coleman

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Sarge, let me preface this by saying this is not directed at you and just a general statement.

It seems to me that the majority of people here want their ****ing cake and they want to eat it too. They want the B’s to “maximize the window” of Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, but then get all pissed off when Sweeney makes a deal like the Nash trade last year.

I’m pretty sure that every GM in the league would prefer to deal for younger guys with term and do it without giving up top tier prospects in return. Unfortunately, the guy on the other end of the line is always trying to maximize his return without giving out much as well.

People need to stop trying to play both sides of the fence and pick a stance. I disagreed with @Blowfish last year and was ok with the Nash deal, but at least he was consistent. He didn’t want a rental like Nash before, during, and after the deal.

Either you want the B’s to maximize the window...or you want them to hold onto their assets and draft and develop. There really isn’t an in-between.

Saying you want them to load up, but not give away anything “good” is unrealistic.

I tend to agree with this, and there’s a reality that must be faced on way or the other.

If they want to wait for the youth to develop, then unless the Bruins go on an unexpected run, get ridiculous goaltending and some breaks, the core will likely be looking back at 2011 as their only cup. The youth aren’t simply not developing fast enough.

Reality #2 for me is that the Bruins can absolutely go for broke, to the extent it fits within the cap, and go for it this year and next and try to win with this core group. And if unsuccessful, they can leverage the fact that they have two studs at reasonable salaries (Marchand and Pasta) who would bring a boat load back if the FO significantly weakens the prospect pool in a vain attempt at a 2019 or 2020 title.

I am in the go for it camp. Try to hang on to Vaak and Stud, or at least one, but let’s take a legit shot, knowing it will cost. They have the assets to rebuild in the summer after 2020 season if the plan fails.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I tend to agree with this, and there’s a reality that must be faced on way or the other.

If they want to wait for the youth to develop, then unless the Bruins go on an unexpected run, get ridiculous goaltending and some breaks, the core will likely be looking back at 2011 as their only cup. The youth aren’t simply not developing fast enough.

Reality #2 for me is that the Bruins can absolutely go for broke, to the extent it fits within the cap, and go for it this year and next and try to win with this core group. And if unsuccessful, they can leverage the fact that they have two studs at reasonable salaries (Marchand and Pasta) who would bring a boat load back if the FO significantly weakens the prospect pool in a vain attempt at a 2019 or 2020 title.

I am in the go for it camp. Try to hang on to Vaak and Stud, or at least one, but let’s take a legit shot, knowing it will cost. They have the assets to rebuild in the summer after 2020 season if the plan fails.

I think they are going to go for it.

As I said in the OP there is a pressure to win one more for Papa Jacobs and nobody knows that more than Cam.

I have a gut feeling Tampa is going to get knocked out by Metro 4 ( Wild Card 2 ) and then the Cup is really up for grabs.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Something big to me means Mark Stone or Panarin, who are the two biggest names out there that can produce and are in their primes so they can fit into a team's main core. I would prefer Mark Stone.

A sneaky, cheap move to bolster the third line center spot would be Blake Coleman. Elite penalty killer, 18 goals so far this year, fast, and plays with grit ( 150 hits so far this year, over 200 last year ). The guys is also only 27, so he can help for a few more years and at a fantastic contract of 1.8per until 2021.

Donato, JFK, Zboril, 1st round pick for Mark Stone

Bjork, 2nd round pick for Blake Coleman

Might smart giving up Donato

And Bjork for that matter. But gotta give to get

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think they are going to go for it.

As I said in the OP there is a pressure to win one more for Papa Jacobs and nobody knows that more than Cam.

I have a gut feeling Tampa is going to get knocked out by Metro 4 ( Wild Card 2 ) and then the Cup is really up for grabs.

I hope they do...but we can assess what "going for it" means after we see what transpires.

Giving up some key prospects for Stone, and adding an additional offensive updgrade would be "going for it".

Giving up less to get someone like Dzingel and doing nothing else screams "trying to marginally improve and hoping to get lucky in the playoffs." That's not a recipe for success.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
You feel winning the Cup is "half-assed"?

Which of our current prospects do you feel will make this team "elite' in 5 years? More elite than Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Rask are now? They won't be as elite in 5 years.
I feel like not winning the cup and going after rentals is half-assed.

I don't know which prospects are going to pan out, if I did, I'd be a pro scout. I do know the more they have, the better the odds are. I think at this stage it's better to see what we have, because I think we fundamentally disagree how close we think this team is to being a cup contender.

I think most of the people here agree, the team as it is isn't good enough to get there yet. Where people disagree is how close they are and what they can do to get there. I'll reiterate, I don't think grabbing rentals is in the best interest of this team. That's my opinion, and not much is going to change from what I've seen of this current team as built. They acquire someone that's in the plans moving forward, I'm definitely more open to it, just say no to rentals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad