The Athletic - Boston FLUTO: Bruins will make a trade, but how much of their future are they willing to cede?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There is an elephant in the room that looms over this process. Charlie Jacobs has made it clear he wants his parents to win another Cup. That is his #1 priority and it won't change.

SCJ11_07a.jpg
SCJ11_07c.jpg

Shinzawa: Bruins will make a trade, but how much of their...

upload_2019-2-14_7-35-36.png

upload_2019-2-14_7-36-22.png

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Going be hard not to do that. I’m all for it for a stone but I want to know he is willing to work out deal.

I guess I'd qualify my comment by saying that if they know somehow, that they have a good chance at re-signing the guy, I'm okay with it.

Reactions: Strafer

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
you think Panarin, still in the mix but can bruins afford him and what they need to give up?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't mind them overpaying for a good player with term.

I don't want to see a first or top tier prospect like Vaakanainen going for a rental.

Sarge, let me preface this by saying this is not directed at you and just a general statement.

It seems to me that the majority of people here want their f***ing cake and they want to eat it too. They want the B’s to “maximize the window” of Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, but then get all pissed off when Sweeney makes a deal like the Nash trade last year.

I’m pretty sure that every GM in the league would prefer to deal for younger guys with term and do it without giving up top tier prospects in return. Unfortunately, the guy on the other end of the line is always trying to maximize his return without giving out much as well.

People need to stop trying to play both sides of the fence and pick a stance. I disagreed with @Blowfish last year and was ok with the Nash deal, but at least he was consistent. He didn’t want a rental like Nash before, during, and after the deal.

Either you want the B’s to maximize the window...or you want them to hold onto their assets and draft and develop. There really isn’t an in-between.

Saying you want them to load up, but not give away anything “good” is unrealistic.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Sarge, let me preface this by saying this is not directed at you and just a general statement.

It seems to me that the majority of people here want their ****ing cake and they want to eat it too. They want the B’s to “maximize the window” of Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, but then get all pissed off when Sweeney makes a deal like the Nash trade last year.

I’m pretty sure that every GM in the league would prefer to deal for younger guys with term and do it without giving up top tier prospects in return. Unfortunately, the guy on the other end of the line is always trying to maximize his return without giving out much as well.

People need to stop trying to play both sides of the fence and pick a stance. I disagreed with @Blowfish last year and was ok with the Nash deal, but at least he was consistent. He didn’t want a rental like Nash before, during, and after the deal.

Either you want the B’s to maximize the window...or you want them to hold onto their assets and draft and develop. There really isn’t an in-between.

Saying you want them to load up, but not give away anything “good” is unrealistic.

Agree about everything you posted.

I'm talking about "overpaying" however. And this overpayment would be for the purpose of taking advantage of the time that the core has left.

I know we all feel differently about how best to improve the team...who should go, who should come back, etc.

I'm probably different than most as I don't really get attached to the unproven guys for a couple of reasons:

First - I don't have a ton of time to watch much more than the Bruins. So the first time I see any of our prospects is often not until they get to Boston.

Second - I'm probably not alone in this - and I think maybe for some reason, I'm more attuned to it, but I've been burned too many times to care about the guys who haven't proven themselves yet. Until they prove otherwise --- every Lauzon is Jon Rohloff and every Anders Bjork is Mariusz Czerkawski. So, when I suggest a deal involving anyone who I haven't seen play 100 games or more in the NHL, it's typically because I don't really expect them to be anything special. I'm not saying that this is the right way to look at this. I'm just saying it's how I do it.

Which brings me to the "overpayment" aspect of my original post. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if somehow, they were able to make a deal for a legit first or second line forward with time left on his contract.......whatever most people are comfortable (or a tiny bit uncomfortable) with in sending out to acquire that guy....I'm okay with adding another player or pick, because to me, that player or pick isn't likely to be anything special.

For instance.......IF Panarin was available and he had 2 years left on his contract (I know he doesn't). I'd be fine moving a first, Donato, JFK or Bjork and a lesser prospect for him and something to offset the sheer number of assets going out -- (maybe a 3rd or one of their 2nd tier prospects). Even though I think I've said differently in the past, I think I'd even substitute DeBrusk or Heinen if it were a deal breaker.

I know most wouldn't, which is where I differ.

Again, not saying I'm right in my way of thinking, but to me, getting the best (by far) player in a deal is the key.

Last edited:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I'd be down to bring in someone big, but I don't want them coming for a 2-3 month vacation to bean town. I want it for a while. They will be trapped here forever until we raise Lord Stanley's Cup.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If they are going to use young assets, then fine, but if they are going to do it, then go for it and focus on two things.

1) Bring in at least 2 forwards, a Center and a natural RW.

2) At least one of them absolutely needs to be signed for one more year. Ideally both though. I would not support two pure rentals.

If they simply decide to try to walk that happy-middle ground and just get one player and not two, it's a waste especially if that one player is a rental.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

It seems to me that the majority of people here want their ****ing cake and they want to eat it too. They want the B’s to “maximize the window” of Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, but then get all pissed off when Sweeney makes a deal like the Nash trade last year.

So true. Nash was the best player out there last year and filled the exact hole the Bruins had and everyone is still whining. I've watched that TB series a few times. The Bruins were in every game and it was close. There were some terrible calls no doubt. If they had a healthy Nash and Carlo (and Krug at the end, plus Riley Nash wasn't the same after the puck to the head) and a few bounces, that series goes the other way and then who knows.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
People brag about how well DS did with the contracts of Pasta and Marchand, but I believe, unfortunately, most UFAs/rentals will be greedy and not bite on similar negotiations for an affordable renewal to stay in Boston.
A major DS home run would be to find and land a big name(s) and then sign them. While pretty unrealistic, that would certainly impress a lot of critics.

Reactions: bbfan419

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

100% I'm taking a "win now" attitude. We have more good prospects than we'll ever have room for. I'm fine with a high-impact rental if it means Bergeron, Chara et al get to lift another Cup. The window is closing.

With Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Pasta all having great seasons, and Rask playing dialed-in, and a decent (again) back-up in Halak, and some young D-men who are starting to make their presence felt... the time to go for it is now!

I'm ready to swap 5 more years of having a merely competitive team with a Championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad