The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Bruins playoffs report card

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Plus (3)

David Krejci
Playoff Krech sparkled in Round 1 against Carolina … Was happy to get onto the No. 1 power-play unit when David Pastrnak pulled up lame in Game 1. Stayed there, for good reason … Went quiet at a bad time against Tampa … Pulled his weight in Game 5 with a goal and an assist.
Brad Marchand
Best all-around postseason performer on the roster … Relentless in puck pursuit … Accepted, without complaint, a change on the power play from the right-side half-boards to net-front duty. Shone in this role, scoring three power-play goals as a dominant far-post presence.
Jack Studnicka
Only appeared in four games. In retrospect, he could have handled more … The natural center did not look out of place at right wing, snapping pucks on goal and skating well … Should be well in line for a full-time varsity spot in 2020-21 as an energetic and skilled top-nine forward.

Even (8)

Patrice Bergeron
Did his usual sterling two-way work … Made a critical play in the Bruins’ only second-round win by stripping Ryan McDonagh and setting up Marchand’s winning goal … Led all players with 35 shots on net. If only his teammates had followed his shot mentality, the Bruins might have made life harder on Andrei Vasilevskiy.
Anders Bjork
Was a healthy scratch for three games because of quiet offensive play … Rose to the occasion in Game 5, when he landed four shots on goal and missed with three other attempts … Did not answer persistent questions as to what he is as an NHL player.
Connor Clifton
Started the playoffs as a healthy scratch … Brought much-needed energy, skating and puck-rushing ability when activated against Carolina … Always a risk because of his helter-skelter style, and the Bruins were summarily burned on occasion (outscored by a 4-1 margin during 5-on-5 play with Clifton on the ice).
Charlie Coyle
Dependable performance as No. 3 center … Was used as right wing situationally … Played big in Game 5 by snapping a team-high 10 pucks on goal … Could not drag his linemates, namely Nick Ritchie, through Tampa’s traffic.
Jaroslav Halak
Put in a difficult position, to say the least, after Tuukka Rask left the bubble after Game 2 of the first round … Was the victim of rotten luck against the Lightning … Allowed a critical Game 4 goal to Ondrej Palat on a stoppable shot … Did everything he could in Game 5.
Charlie McAvoy
Threw the hit of the playoffs when he dropped Jordan Staal in the first round … Paced the team with 26:17 of average ice time per game … Drew the wicked assignment of playing against Tampa’s No. 1 line … Pushed the pace in Game 5, even after taking a thump from Cedric Paquette, but could have played like that earlier in the series.
David Pastrnak
Got hurt on the game-winning goal in Game 1 of the opening round … Looked like he was missing a gear when he returned … Led all forwards with 22:01 of ice time per game … Needed to produce more at even strength, where he scored just once … Disrupted preparations by missing all but one day of camp by coming into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19.
Dan Vladar
Took it in the teeth in Game 3 when he had to relieve Halak … Looked shaky in his NHL debut, as expected, given the situation and opponent … Was a good teammate and backup.

Minus (15)

Brandon Carlo
Puzzling how such a stout regular season turned into a postseason tailspin for the dependable right-sider … Lack of confidence showed in his tentative play … Not a scorer, but just one assist drove home that Carlo needed to be involved more up the ice.
Zdeno Chara
Handed the difficult job of quieting Palat, Brayden Point and Nikita Kucherov. Tampa’s first line enjoyed chance quality and quantity, but Chara ultimately limited the Lightning to two 5-on-5 goals … Averaged a career-low 20:18 of ice time per game, partly a function of his team repeatedly being behind … Game 5 could have been his last as a Bruin.
Jake DeBrusk
Was part of the team’s best line in the first round. But only one goal against Tampa, which was on the power play … Outscored by a 4-0 margin during 5-on-5 play … Left a very thin final impression as he enters restricted free agency.
Matt Grzelcyk
Should have been able to initiate the breakout and support the rush with his legs and hockey sense, but struggled against Tampa’s forecheck … Zero even-strength points, a damning signal of his inability to contribute offensively, given his skill set … Outscored by a 5-1 margin in the second round.
Ondrej Kase
Good in Round 1, not so good in Round 2 … Only one shot in Games 2 and 4, too low for a high-volume shooter … Ended the season on the fourth line … Did not help matters by being unfit to participate for all but one day of camp and arriving after his teammates in Toronto.
Torey Krug
Scored only one even-strength point, too few when his offensive touch was required to solve Tampa’s 5-on-5 defense … The Lightning outscored the Bruins by a 7-2 margin during 5-on-5 play when Krug was on the ice, per Natural Stat Trick … Could have concluded his Boston career in Game 5.
Karson Kuhlman
Limited to three games … Had a good scoring chance in Game 5 as the No. 4 right wing. But was otherwise nonexistent in terms of offensive presence … On for Anthony Cirelli’s Game 5 goal after an icing penalty.
Sean Kuraly
Limited by an undisclosed injury, which kept the postseason performer out for three games … Moved between No. 3 left wing and No. 4 center … Was missed against the Lightning because of his skating and playoff pedigree.
Jeremy Lauzon
Lost his job to Connor Clifton in the first round … Re-entered for the 7-1 disaster in Round 2, and was never seen again … Shortcomings in foot speed and puck skills were exposed.
Par Lindholm
Played better against Carolina than against Tampa, helping to stabilize the fourth line in Round 1 … Was regularly caught in his own end in the second round … Minimal offensive presence.
John Moore
Only one postseason appearance … Got walked by Point en route to a Kucherov goal … Praised by Cassidy as a zero-maintenance pro.
Joakim Nordstrom
Nightmare … A team-low 25.96 Corsi For rating in Round 2 … On for five goals against and zero for … Startling to see a smart and detailed player become completely unreliable … No chance of a return for the unrestricted free agent.
Tuukka Rask
Leaky in two appearances against Carolina … Sent out warning signs after Game 2 by saying he wasn’t stressing about results … Opted out the morning of Game 3 because of a family emergency, per president Cam Neely … Bruins supported Rask’s decision to leave, but his absence undoubtedly hurt.
Nick Ritchie
Disaster … Was not available for Game 5 because of an undisclosed injury. But helped seal his fate by torpedoing the Bruins in Game 4 with his five-minute boarding penalty on Yanni Gourde.
Chris Wagner
Unavailable for Game 5 because of an undisclosed injury … Committed a critical neutral-zone turnover in Game 4 that led to Tampa’s first goal … On for five goals against and none for.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Nordstrom still has 2nd most blocks out of all forwards in playoffs. 4th liner who blocks alot is not that bad. We were heavily outmatched in Tampa series.

I tried to argue players out of the minus box but I cant. Very good list.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Krejci was arguably the main reason we lost the Tampa series, he got absolutely worked by Point. He showed up in the last game and was excellent in the Carolina series, but I have trouble putting him as a plus.

Reactions: LSCII and Blowfish

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
Krejci was arguably the main reason we lost the Tampa series, he got absolutely worked by Point. He showed up in the last game and was excellent in the Carolina series, but I have trouble putting him as a plus.

I agree, as much as I have loved what Krejci has brought to this team, I feel its time to try and get something for him by shipping him to a cup candidate team next season. His style of play - slow everything down doesn't work against the speedier fore checking teams and he doesn't have the body to play a grinding game. I contend bringing in a younger speedier center would also help the Debrusks, Kuhlman's , Bjorks's , Kase's who have floundered on Krejci's line.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I agree, as much as I have loved what Krejci has brought to this team, I feel its time to try and get something for him by shipping him to a cup candidate team next season. His style of play - slow everything down doesn't work against the speedier fore checking teams and he doesn't have the body to play a grinding game. I contend bringing in a younger speedier center would also help the Debrusks, Kuhlman's , Bjorks's , Kase's who have floundered on Krejci's line.
In fairness to Krejci, 3 of those guys have AHL level shots and have no business being on a second line at this point in their careers.

The other has a half decent shot and has exactly one move to beat a defender that usually ends up in the corners.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I agree with most of these assessments, but I think Fluto is too harsh on Kuraly, Nordstrom and maybe Grzelyck too. Kuraly was one of the better players against Tampa before he got injured, and Fluto's assessing Nordy on things that really aren't that relevant to an grunt 4th liner. At least Nordy brought effort and a willingness to put his body on the line more than most of his teammates. He gets an 'even' from me. And Gryz got a bit beaten up by the Bolts but he never stopped trying and his puck movement was ok. Another pass mark I reckon.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
i put Bergeron in the minus group. He was nothing more than meh for me. only 1 ES goal in 13 games, and looked a step behind Marchand/Pasta
So much this. I friggin love Bergie but he looked done. If he is our number 1 centre and Krejci 2, this team isn’t winning the cup. Bergie as amazing of a career he has had, can not get a free pass this playoffs. He was bad.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

And yet against the Canes he was a huge reason for their success. Match ups change and aren't always favorable. That's why things like last change really become magnified in a series.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nothing Fluto has written here has changed my opinion on his hockey knowledge. Again, he's a good reporter for the human interest side of the team and a lousy evaluator of the on-ice product.

Exactly. You want to know where to get something good to eat? He's your guy. You want to hear about a player's off ice life? Again, Fluto is your go to. You want to learn about the intricacies of the sport? Not your guy.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Hard to trade a $7 million 2nd line player to a contender. None of them have that kind of Cap space.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So much this. I friggin love Bergie but he looked done. If he is our number 1 centre and Krejci 2, this team isn’t winning the cup. Bergie as amazing of a career he has had, can not get a free pass this playoffs. He was bad.

Only player on the team with a plus rating (+2). Part of the successful power play. Our best penalty killer.

How could he be considered bad.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
bergeron krug carlo pastnak chara debrusk kase ritchie and rask are my minuses. the rest were what thry are.
i dont even think id give a plus. maybe marchand. possibly krejci.
mcavoy was msybe a plus but his tampa series knocked him down.
the whole team lokked like they didnt even want to be tbere with exception of #63

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
bergeron krug carlo pastnak chara debrusk kase ritchie and rask are my minuses. the rest were what thry are.
i dont even think id give a plus. maybe marchand. possibly krejci.
mcavoy was msybe a plus but his tampa series knocked him down.
the whole team lokked like they didnt even want to be tbere with exception of #63

Again, cannot see how Bergeron is a minus.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
These playoffs and the finals last year show how important a 4th line is.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Kuraly and Wagner are back and they were good in 2018-19 but they have to be so much better next year. Maybe try Frederic on LW? At least that would add some toughness.

The other big question mark is 2nd line wings. Krejci was fantastic in almost every game and Kase/Debrusk just didn't have it. I'll give Kase some more time but I'm starting to have serious doubts about Debrusk. He just doesn't generate turnovers like he used to, or make plays.

He's got a lot of trade value. Might be time to try someone else in that spot for one last shot with this group. Really wish Rick Nash would have stuck around.

Maybe Hoffman? Toffoli?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
People are insane with the Bergeron talk. He scored their only OT goal, scored a series winning goal, and created the game winner in their only win against Tampa. Offense dried up in the middle of the series outside of that set play on the PP where he's the decoy for Marchand which they connected on twice, but he created a goal in Game 5 with a steal and slot pass. If you're not going offensively, at least contribute at the right times, and I think he definitely did that these playoffs.

Not on the ice for an even strength goal against all playoffs in 132 minutes played (or a goal against at any strength vs. Tampa in a series they were outscored 19-10). The next highest minute total for a forward not being on the ice for a goal against these playoffs is Stephens on Tampa who played 38. Pageau was over 100 minutes without a goal against going into the Philly game yesterday, then got victimized on a backcheck and gave up another goal against on the ice after that. I don't think people realize how rare it is to do what Bergeron did in these playoffs, especially against the best offense in the league and another top 10 offense. The only defensemen over 50 minutes without a goal against were:

Ryan Murray - 82 mins
Oullet - 72 mins
Mete - 69 mins
Vatanen - 61 mins

Not just luck either, the underlying numbers were fantastic as per usual, including microstats (he was 2nd in puck battle wins among forwards, and while getting considerable less ice time than the other two in the top 3). He led the team in shots by a good amount as well.

Only one on the team that actually won the head-to-head match-up vs. Point, who torched the rest of the line-up. Bergeron's shot suppression and generation on the PK were better than the 4th line's shot suppression and generation at even strength in the Tampa series.

Point vs. the Bruins centers:

Opposing CenterES TOIShot AttemptsShot Attempt %Unblocked Shot AttemptsUnblocked Shot Attempt %ShotsShot %Goals
Krejci39:3048-3359.3%32-2259.3%21-1460.0%4-0
Bergeron22:5021-2743.8%13-1743.3%9-1242.9%0-1
Coyle18:1528-1860.9%17-1356.7%11-857.9%1-0
Kuraly/Lindholm14:1529-487.9%22-484.6%16-288.9%2-0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Even when he's off the line, you can see how easy it is for the Bruins to cave:

Marchand and Krejci in deep on an ineffective forecheck, Pastrnak doing f*** all as the high forward. You can just see Pastrnak's lack of awareness with Grzelcyk falling and getting taken out of the play. He doesn't even realize Kucherov is wide open until after Point makes the pass. These are the types of things that Bergeron has to deal with and neutralize with those two to allow them to work as an offensive tandem and not just have it be trading chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: easton117

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Coyle was good they honestly torpedoed any chance he had at being effective by making him drag around Ritchie.

Bergeron was good too, I would’ve like to have seen him bury a few of those chances, but he was reliable as he always is throughout with his play in his own end.

Other pluses are Krejci, Kase (despite not scoring I really like his tenacity and hands), Mcavoy, Kuraly, and Halak. Halak wasn’t necessarily great, but under the circumstances I thought he performed admirably.

My minuses are Bjork, Debrusk (I actually turned sour on him), Ritchie, Carlo, Krug, Wagner, and honestly Rask. To be clear it is not because he left, in those games he played I thought he looked like shit.

EDIT: Nordstrom was terrific too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->