The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Bruins left shorthanded after missing out on Ilya Kovalchuk

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Wow. So in Fluto’s eyes not signing this 35 yr old returnee to a risky contract contributes to a “bad weekend”.

Either the article is designed to create a stir of Fluto is clueless.

Maybe sticking to “best food around the NHL” types of reporting would be a better fit.

Reactions: LSCII

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Was this team's success really hanging on signing a 35 year old that played in a beer league the last 6 years??
The keys to this organization taking its next steps are not from without, but within.

In hindsight, it might have been nice had they “missed out” a bit more often these last few off seasons.

When it comes to free agency, I either want the big fish, that is the generational talent along the lines of Chara or Tavares or the bargain bin one year deal. Where you get in trouble with salary and especially term are the guys who fall somewhere in between.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
tumblr_inline_n5077rWxKq1sdxy78.gif

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The keys to this organization taking its next steps are not from without, but within.

In hindsight, it might have been nice had they “missed out” a bit more often these last few off seasons.

When it comes to free agency, I either want the big fish, that is the generational talent along the lines of Chara or Tavares or the bargain bin one year deal. Where you get in trouble with salary and especially term are the guys who fall somewhere in between.

The are plenty of those in between guys available this off-season.

Bruins management need to step away from the phones once they have a back-up goaltender signed.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Bruins management need to step away from the phones once they have a back-up goaltender signed.
It’s just diminishing returns.

How much more are you really going to get from one of the mid range free agent options versus what you get from someone internally, and at what cost?

I want them to have the utmost flexibility a year from now, three years from now when it comes time to lock up their own. It would be a shame to have to lose a talented player that you’ve drafted and developed because you have too many spare parts.

See what’s out there after the dust settles and maybe you roll the dice on the next Riley Nash type for a year or two at short money.

Worst case scenario, you give someone internally a chance to step into a bigger role and if need be, you add at the deadline.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Are you happy with the depth guys we have, including those kids in Providence who might step in? We have to replace Nash Schaller and Kuraly (though I expect the Bruins to re-sign him). I think Nash probably priced himself out of Boston with his season last year, and I'm 50/50 on them bringing Schaller back. Say we don't bring any of those three back - do you think we can fill all those spots from within?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I’m a pretty firm believer the Bruins are fine up front, even if they don’t replace Rick Nash...with guys like Donato and DeBrusk.

If you can get a guy like Tavares, you have to try, because that is a true championship move, but the area to target for upgrade is defense. The offense is already highly productive.

Missing out on this guy is fortunate in my book.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Are you happy with the depth guys we have, including those kids in Providence who might step in? We have to replace Nash Schaller and Kuraly (though I expect the Bruins to re-sign him). I think Nash probably priced himself out of Boston with his season last year, and I'm 50/50 on them bringing Schaller back. Say we don't bring any of those three back - do you think we can fill all those spots from within?

You might need a depth guy or two, kinda like Schaller was two years ago.

As it stands today I see them with 11 NHL forwards (including Kuraly). They'll need two more at least. Question is do they need another center of some form or fashion.

In the event of injury I'm fine with the Providence crew. JFK, Senyshyn are in the 2nd pro years and should be ready for a call-up look due to injury.

This is all stuff that they can approach once the dust settles after July 1st and other GMs are done tossing around foolish money and term at aging low-to-mid range players.

Just don't get left without a back-up goaltender, the UFA guys will all be scooped up very quickly and Sweeney cannot afford to be left empty-handed at the end of Sunday.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
You might need a depth guy or two, kinda like Schaller was two years ago.

As it stands today I see them with 11 NHL forwards (including Kuraly). They'll need two more at least. Question is do they need another center of some form or fashion.

In the event of injury I'm fine with the Providence crew. JFK, Senyshyn are in the 2nd pro years and should be ready for a call-up look due to injury.

This is all stuff that they can approach once the dust settles after July 1st and other GMs are done tossing around foolish money and term at aging low-to-mid range players.

Just don't get left without a back-up goaltender, the UFA guys will all be scooped up very quickly and Sweeney cannot afford to be left empty-handed at the end of Sunday.
So do you think they get those two more players from within, or some minor moves in early July?

Also, on the back-up: couldn't agree more.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So do you think they get those two more players from within, or some minor moves in early July?

Also, on the back-up: couldn't agree more.

I think at least one forward will need to be brought in from the outside with a small trade or signing.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
TheAthletic-Boston does well and I like Joey MacDonald, but I find myself not caring for Fluto more and more.

I'm the exact opposite. Joey Mac seems like a nice guy, but he has the most milquetoast old-school hockey takes and his analysis kind of stinks. Fluto, even when I disagree, always has something insightful, or at the very least, interesting to say.

Reactions: Strafer

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thank god this slappy left the Globe to go to a place that lets him write more in depth quality articles like this gem.

Seriously. The only thing they missed out on was grossly overpaying in dollars and term for a complete unknown. End of story. Good luck with the Kings, but I'm glad the Bruins didn't do this deal.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm guessing a 4th liner, with the remainder of the spots being filled from within. I'd like a veteran as our 13th forward too, so we don't have a kid sit out instead of getting valuable playing time.

Ideally my 13th F is Noel Acciari.

The big question is Backes. Because if they would put him back in the middle on the 3rd line, the top 9 F are pretty clear if they don't bring one in. The Bergeron line, with Donato/Debrusk/Bjork/Heinen mixing and matching between the two vet Cs in Krejci and Backes. And I'd be fine with that.

But if Backes is a winger, then I think they need a center.

I'd really like to see one of JFK/Cehlarik/Fitzgerald grab a spot among the regular 12 F. If it's JFK, I don't think they need a C.

But if it's say Fitzgerald, I think he'd make a fine 4th line LW with Kuraly and Backes, but they'd then need to find a center who can play on the 3rd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad