The Athletic - Boston Fluto: Bruins’ updated depth chart, and what they still need to do

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
In house. JFK, Frederic, or Studnicka.
No way we can open the season with one of those guys. Bergeron and DK are entering their "kind of always hurt" stage. We need someone to fill Riley Nash role, key PK and can slot up if needed.

Reactions: Strafer

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know if I would even trade Krug for Simmons straight up considering what Wayne's ask will be for his next contract.
Especially when he'll be over 30 when he signs it.
Krug's a valuable piece on this team, and to be honest until McAvoy proves he can be as effective on the powerplay as Krug you risk messing up the only part of this team that for sure works if you move him.
No way I move Krug for Simmons. Simmons isnt a big dude despite his play style and is hitting PF drop off age. Philly willing to dump him is telling.

Reactions: Estlin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No way I move Krug for Simmons. Simmons isnt a big dude despite his play style and is hitting PF drop off age. Philly willing to dump him is telling.

Where did Philly say they were trying to dump him.

Hextall was asked that question of Simmonds availabilty on the draft floor and without hesistation said they were going to re-sign him.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes, he is.

I agree.

Fair point. Kuraly has played mostly C here so I'm not sure if they'll move him over, but having another guy who can play center and win draws gives them some flexibility.

Kuraly was a 45% FO guy last year while Wagner is 50% for his career. Obviously it depends on camp performance, but I’m starting off:

Kuraly-Wagner-Acciari
Nordstom

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
No way we can open the season with one of those guys. Bergeron and DK are entering their "kind of always hurt" stage. We need someone to fill Riley Nash role, key PK and can slot up if needed.

They have plenty of PK forwards right now. Heinen & DeBrusk had their 1 year in the AHL then graduated to the show. Not sure why JFK can't do the same. But perhaps Frederic or Studnicka are ready to go. I would definitely not panic at this point & trade assets for a 3C. Give them a chance & let the winner have a 10-15 game tryout & if it's obvious they're not ready, make a trade. Look at all the kids who many were skeptical about make the jump (Carlo, Heinen, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Gryz, Kuraly, Donato). No reason to panic yet. A top 6 winger should be the main priority by far. This team is way too top heavy in scoring lines.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Where did Philly say they were trying to dump him.

Hextall was asked that question of Simmonds availabilty on the draft floor and without hesistation said they were going to re-sign him.
They wont resign him. He's close to done

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
They have plenty of PK forwards right now. Heinen & DeBrusk had their 1 year in the AHL then graduated to the show. Not sure why JFK can't do the same. But perhaps Frederic or Studnicka are ready to go. I would definitely not panic at this point & trade assets for a 3C. Give them a chance & let the winner have a 10-15 game tryout & if it's obvious they're not ready, make a trade. Look at all the kids who many were skeptical about make the jump (Carlo, Heinen, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Gryz, Kuraly, Donato). No reason to panic yet. A top 6 winger should be the main priority by far. This team is way too top heavy in scoring lines.
Bjork was supposed to be a factor last year. You are under rating durability. We can plug kids in at wings, but you need a proven 3C until someone beats him out

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Bjork was supposed to be a factor last year. You are under rating durability. We can plug kids in at wings, but you need a proven 3C until someone beats him out

Just totally disagree. The main area of concern by far is top 6 winger (as evidenced by the Rick Nash trade) preferably acquired by trading Krug. 3C is a concern but a minor one. It is much more easily addressable than a top 6 winger if the kids can't cut it.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Just totally disagree. The main area of concern by far is top 6 winger (as evidenced by the Rick Nash trade) preferably acquired by trading Krug. 3C is a concern but a minor one. It is much more easily addressable than a top 6 winger if the kids can't cut it.
Fair. I see guys like Donato that can snipe and can plug winger holes and maybe upgrade at deadline if your still lacking, but getting someone who could fill in as top 2C is more expensive

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Montreal media fans and Boston media fans very similar to me. Overhyping their talent and teams. 1 cup in 65 years combined

LOL.
Not exactly fair, considering some of those years we knocked each other out of the playoffs!! :)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Do you think those same names will be in the top9? Just in different combos or are you thinking different personnel?

Different combos, same personnel, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Bjork worked his way into the Top 9, provided he’s healthy. They like him, as evidenced by the favorable treatment he got last year.

After seeing him at Development Camp, my darkhorse to win a spot out of training camp is Studnicka. He was a level above the rest of the players, with the exception of Steen. I would have loved to have seen Frederic at the camp to compare the two, but he had a class to attend. I think the B’s would love to leave Frederic in PRO and Studnicka in the OHL for the year, but I also think they have a shot at the 3C spot, barring a trade.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-?
Heinen-Backes-Donato
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Acciari

Krug/Carlo
Chara/McAvoy
Moore/Miller
Gryz

Rask
Halak

It’s certain that there’s a move or two coming on defense...that will clear up L2 RW in the process, I bet. I have a feeling Acciari is going to end up in the 13th spot. Just a hunch, I think Backes still wants to play center.

I’m gonna miss McQuaid.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Just wondering. Does Fluto realize he has Wagner as the 13th forward and on the top PK unit of the regular lineup, while being in the press box? What did I even read?

Really a pretty poor job for a guy who's been their beat writer at the Boston Globe. I don't know if it's his full time gig but he needs to pay more attention to this sort of thing because not knowing the product that you're "selling" is the fastest way out of of a job. With all of the free sites to read and competition for readership I can't see why I or most would pay to read dribble like that. I wouldn't pay a dime for it but "different strokes for different folks" I guess.

Reactions: Grimey and chizzler

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Different combos, same personnel, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Bjork worked his way into the Top 9, provided he’s healthy. They like him, as evidenced by the favorable treatment he got last year.

After seeing him at Development Camp, my darkhorse to win a spot out of training camp is Studnicka. He was a level above the rest of the players, with the exception of Steen. I would have loved to have seen Frederic at the camp to compare the two, but he had a class to attend. I think the B’s would love to leave Frederic in PRO and Studnicka in the OHL for the year, but I also think they have a shot at the 3C spot, barring a trade.

I would LOVE to see Bjork in the top9, but at who's expense? I don't think they'd take Donato out, given the production he put up in his short time. Heinen played more minutes and had more points than DeBrusk and DeBrusk was our best young player in the playoffs.

That leaves Backes. I had this conversation with Dan the other day, after re-watching opening night and being reminded just how fast and dynamic Bjork was at the start of last season. Do you think they'll try to move Backes to make room for Bjork?

Fwiw, I liked Studnicka at camp too, but didn't think his camp this year was as strong as Frederic's camp last year. He's in the mix though. If he doesn't make it I could see him putting up 90+ points.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would LOVE to see Bjork in the top9, but at who's expense? I don't think they'd take Donato out, given the production he put up in his short time. Heinen played more minutes and had more points than DeBrusk and DeBrusk was our best young player in the playoffs.

That leaves Backes. I had this conversation with Dan the other day, after re-watching opening night and being reminded just how fast and dynamic Bjork was at the start of last season. Do you think they'll try to move Backes to make room for Bjork?

Fwiw, I liked Studnicka at camp too, but didn't think his camp this year was as strong as Frederic's camp last year. He's in the mix though. If he doesn't make it I could see him putting up 90+ points.

63-37-10
74-46-88
17-42-43
52-CW-55
JN

Is probably the way I would go. That puts Bjork, Donato, Backes, and Heinen all in the Top 9, but would require Backes to play C. All three players on that line have played center at one time, so I believe it would work, even if the Bruins FO doesn’t :laugh:

As I said before, ideally, Frederic spends the whole year in PRO, and Studnicka the entire year in the OHL.

If the Bruins don’t believe any of those three 3rd liners can play C, then I would try to move Backes for a guy that can fill that spot for 1/2 years. When I heard the Blues wanted to move Sobotka, I thought swapping him for Backes would be a perfect deal. Reasonable salary with only two years term. Tough guy that can give you some offense when he’s paired with good offensive players, plus can kill penalties.

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed, but maybe Backes for a similar player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad