Fluke SCF appearances

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure what your infatuation is with commenting on my posts lately, but if you could just go ahead and assume I have no desire to know any opinion you have about anything ever, that would be great.

I don't have a clue who you are and had no idea I'd ever responded to one of your posts.

You want to post opinions on a discussion board but then have a sulk if people respond not agreeing with you? Maybe this isn't the place for you. Get over yourself.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
They also smacked around a very good New Jersey team who won their division and were on something like a 16 game winning streak going into the second round.

Carolina also was down a point per game power forward in Erik Cole for all but two games of the playoffs.

Funny how almost nobody mentions that.
Im glad there are people here who remember good hockey besides me. Yeah the Canes team was a fluke based off of how they performed after that, but look at that playoff roster. Brind'Amour, Whitney, Stillman, Staal, Cole, Recchi, Weight, Cullen, Andrew Ladd as a g***amn 4th liner.

That team was stacked

Reactions: tarheelhockey

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
102 regular season points
4th most wins in the league from Jan 1st - end of regular season
Kovalchuk #5 in the league in points
Elias #10 in the league in points
Three 30 goal scorers
Best PK% in NHL history
Started on the road in all three of their conference playoff series

Yeah you might want to workshop this one a little more.

20 of those points came through the shootout. ROW was hilariously low. Then proceeded to miss the playoffs for 5 straight years. Definitely a fluke.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
20 of those points came through the shootout. ROW was hilariously low. Then proceeded to miss the playoffs for 5 straight years. Definitely a fluke.
Hilariously low? It was higher than five other playoff teams, they had more ROW's than two division winners and the eventual Cup champions. Tone down the hyperbole.

And yeah, when half your core leaves over the next two years that tends to hurt your chances at competing.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Vegas sucked in the final. I mean I guess you can’t call them a fluke because of how they did in the regular season and what they did to get there, but... wow. What the hell was I watching? If those two teams (Caps/VGK) played that series and then you asked me afterwards to rank them in terms of other teams in the NHL, Caps I’d for sure say are a top 3 team. But Vegas... looked like a bottom 10 team. Zero serious threats on that roster, potato defense and Fleury finally did his Fleury thing in the playoffs.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
For me a fluke run to the Finals in any sport is defined by "did they make the playoffs the season before, or did they make the playoffs the season after?" If the answer to both is "no", you have a fluke team.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Im glad there are people here who remember good hockey besides me. Yeah the Canes team was a fluke based off of how they performed after that, but look at that playoff roster. Brind'Amour, Whitney, Stillman, Staal, Cole, Recchi, Weight, Cullen, Andrew Ladd as a g***amn 4th liner.

That team was stacked

That team was odd. By me definition I'd say "fluke", but the fluke is almost more that the Canes ended up with all that talent at the same time for the playoffs. They were certainly good. Wouldn't say a "great" team, but worthy of the Cup in a weird year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You can have a fluke game. I personally don't buy you can have a full fluke 7-game series, but I can understand that view.

You cannot have a fluke THREE rounds though.

Reactions: 32hunter

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Really? Unlike NFL you get best of 7 if you can't beat a team in 7 then get out you don't deserve to be there period and they do.

Reactions: 32hunter

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
It all depends on what you consider an unlikely chance occurrence when it comes to the playoffs. With how loose the definition of fluke naturally is, you can consider every team in the playoffs a fluke.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I thought both teams in 06 were lucky... not necessarily a fluke. The Golden Knights this year was a fluke.... no expansion team will have any level of similar success that they had.

Washington in 1998 was a fluke. They entered in at the 4 seed. Beat the 5th, 8th and 6th seed to advance and get destroyed by the Red Wings.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The 2006 Oilers. Benefited a lot from none of the top 4 seeds in the West making it out of the 1st round that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad