Floyd Mayweather Jr. in talks for UFC deal, Dana White says

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/...weather-jr-discussing-mixed-martial-arts-deal

UFC and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are discussing a deal that would bring the undefeated boxer into mixed martial arts, according to UFC president Dana White.

"We're talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal," White told ESPN. "It's real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real? Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren't real? He usually tips his hand when he's in the media and then that s--- ends up happening.

"We're interested in doing something with Floyd. Everything is a realistic possibility. Mayweather vs. McGregor f---ing happened. Anything is possible."

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) is less than four months removed from an extremely lucrative boxing match against McGregor, UFC's biggest star. After winning the bout via TKO in the 10th round, the 40-year-old promised it would be the final fight of his career.

During a live social media stream earlier this month, however, Mayweather said he could sign with UFC.

"They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back," said Mayweather, via Fight Hype. "I can come right back. If I wanted to, I can come right back to the UFC. I can go fight in the Octagon. I can do a three- or four-fight deal in the Octagon and make a billion dollars. Remember, I'm Floyd 'Money' Mayweather."

During the buildup to the McGregor fight, which drew 4.3 million domestic pay-per-view buys according to Showtime, Mayweather said on several occasions that the two could fight in MMA. Those claims were widely met with skepticism.

Even if Mayweather is serious about a UFC deal, it is highly unlikely he would face McGregor (21-3), UFC's lightweight champion.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission sanctioned a boxing match, but it would be much harder to justify sanctioning an MMA fight, where Mayweather would face an even greater disadvantage than McGregor did in the boxing ring.

According to Showtime, the Mayweather-McGregor event generated more than $600 million in revenue. White told ESPN that global pay-per-view buys settled around 6.5 million.

"There was no way I thought that fight was going to happen, but when you sit down with a smart guy like [Mayweather adviser] Al Haymon, a very intelligent guy, anything is possible," White said. "And Floyd, as much as he does the money thing and this and that, Floyd was actually very easy to work with. I was impressed."

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I would really enjoy seeing him get embarrassed so I hope this actually happens. But I firmly believe this is just a bunch B.S from Dana lol.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Even if he fought, they would have to give him some drunk, out of shape, amateur fighter for him to have a chance of winning, and the UFC would be a laughing stock for giving him an opponent like that.

I could see Mayweather become a partner if Zuffa Boxing ever gets off the ground. I could also see him buying into ownership as well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I just want this nonsense to go away. So many good MMA fights coming up in the next month or so and we're talking about freak show fights again.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I don't mean to always bash MM on here but I love how he'll jump up 20 pounds to fight Mayweather in a second but still won't fight TJ. And yes obviously it's because of the money, but if you consider yourself the P4P GOAT, you shouldn't be running from TJ.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't mean to always bash MM on here but I love how he'll jump up 20 pounds to fight Mayweather in a second but still won't fight TJ. And yes obviously it's because of the money, but if you consider yourself the P4P GOAT, you shouldn't be running from TJ.

Dana is putting all the risk on DJ and all the reward on TJ. DJ would not be getting a raise or monetary incentive to fight TJ, but TJ would, at least according to DJ. If true, I'd tell Dana to pound sand too.

Reactions: LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dana is putting all the risk on DJ and all the reward on TJ. DJ would not be getting a raise or monetary incentive to fight TJ, but TJ would, at least according to DJ. If true, I'd tell Dana to pound sand too.

He just signed a new contract a year ago, if he doesn't like it he only has himself to blame.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing PBF getting destroyed in the octagon. He needs a good beatdown for his damn ego and big mouth.

Connor's reaction was classic. :thumbu:
Floyd will never put himself in a situation where he could get hurt, not after he talks about the way Roger is now. It was very obvious he would never fight in MMA, he hasn't put himself in danger of getting stopped since his PBF days.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Didn't he swap Roger for his father after he bled a little against Cotto? I think that's the last fight he was trading punches against his opponent. I know health problems have been cited but I feel like he got demoted because Roger is more offensive minded than Floyd Sr and was pushing him to fight more offensively.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Nobody serious thinks Floyd would fight in an MMA match.

I fully believe that the UFC and Floyd could be talking about a boxing match under Zuffa Boxing, though. If they are serious about getting into boxing, what better way than with the biggest PPV draw ever? Give Floyd enough money and/or a stake in Zuffa boxing and I'm sure he'd at least listen.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Dana White can shove it,i lost ALL respect for him with his treatment of Gsp and opposite treatment of mcweasel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad