Confirmed with Link: Panthers vs Islanders playoffs 2: Electric Boogaloo

What would you have preferred?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It would be hilarious if the NHL counted those stats as their own official category and then some team brings it up during a jersey retirement or something 20 years from now.

"Barkov finished his career with <insert numbers> regular season totals, in the playoffs he had <insert numbers> totals, and he's the all-time leader in COVID-19 qualification series points with <insert number>.
He did follow up with this so nothing official yet, I just don't think they will, an extra 5 games could break records that normally would be harder to break.

Make up for missing the ploffs when we tied the Habs with 92 points

Ehh I kind of look at it like Florida not getting screwed over. Arizona, Montreal and Chicago are the big winners. Florida's playoff odds went from 38% to what, 45% or so. If the Rangers were 20th, would they have even expanded the playoffs past 20? Somehow I doubt it lol

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Aside from the play in series, the first two rounds could potentially be best of 5 as well? Damn that would be interesting. The panthers just have to be good for a short stretch and could fall back into the conference finals :laugh: fingers crossed

Reactions: MintyFresh88

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I don't think we have a chance in hell against the Islanders. They absolutely stifle us and we just aren't capable of generating anything against them due to their intense love for the trap.

Like I said earlier, all of our guys are perimeter players. Nobody is willing to get into the tough areas to make a play, which is exactly what you need against a trap system. The finesse and dangling at the top of the circle does little to anything against a team that collapses. Combine that with the trapping in the neutral zone where our team struggles to put 3 passes together and we are destined for failure.

I know a lot of you are excited that the Panthers are back and "in the playoffs" (which they aren't actually), but all I'm afraid of is getting laughed off the ice after being swept in 3 straight games. Coming back after this long haul to lose like that would be just so Panthers.

Also just for fun, Greiss' career numbers against Florida:

upload_2020-5-27_16-9-38.png

And his numbers from our 2015-16 Playoff Series:
upload_2020-5-27_16-12-38.png

Ya.....not a fan of this matchup at all.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I don't think we have a chance in hell against the Islanders. They absolutely stifle us and we just aren't capable of generating anything against them due to their intense love for the trap.

Like I said earlier, all of our guys are perimeter players. Nobody is willing to get into the tough areas to make a play, which is exactly what you need against a trap system. The finesse and dangling at the top of the circle does little to anything against a team that collapses. Combine that with the trapping in the neutral zone where our team struggles to put 3 passes together and we are destined for failure.

I know a lot of you are excited that the Panthers are back and "in the playoffs" (which they aren't actually), but all I'm afraid of is getting laughed off the ice after being swept in 3 straight games. Coming back after this long haul to lose like that would be just so Panthers.

View attachment 347864

View attachment 347865

Bob could carry us... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::naughty::naughty:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
What will be amazing to watch are teams sitting in a playoff spot today losing to teams outside the bubble in the pre-playoff tournament. There's bound to be a couple of upsets.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Damn, if we're gifted a playoff birth and then just give it away...yeah that sounds about right.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL

View attachment 347864

View attachment 347865

So, the team has several weeks, maybe up to two months, to get ready to play the trap and you feel they will get destroyed by the Isles.

Me, I like to think the boys will be hungry and win the series in 4 games. To hell with the Isles and their trap!

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You can't lie a part of you wants to see Edmonton get upset by Chicago and end up drafting 1st overall again
I remember talking with parabola (RIP) about the McJesus draft and which team needed or deserved McDavid the most, this happened around halfway through the season. I said to him "it would be so Oilers to end up with the #1 pick again and poor McDavid for ending up there*", we laughed about it, then both were like imagine if that actually happened though.. and then it did lol.

* = in hindsight looking at the terrible moves Buffalo has made for what feels like an eternity now, idk if even McJesus could carry them out of that flaming dumpster of a franchise

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I remember talking with parabola (RIP) about the McJesus draft and which team needed or deserved McDavid the most, this happened around halfway through the season. I said to him "it would be so Oilers to end up with the #1 pick again and poor McDavid for ending up there*", we laughed about it, then both were like imagine if that actually happened though.. and then it did lol.

* = in hindsight looking at the terrible moves Buffalo has made for what feels like an eternity now, idk if even McJesus could carry them out of that flaming dumpster of a franchise

I'll never forget his face when the draft lottery revealed their logo as #1. :laugh:
That blank, nervous, sweaty, throat clearing, diarrhea look......followed by FML

mcjesus-gif.gif

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

View attachment 347864

View attachment 347865

Bob could carry us... :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::naughty::naughty:

Isles fan here . Hope you Cats are all safe . I am guessing Varlamov will be the #1 goalie . He is signed long term for pretty big money, is going to be the mentor for Sorokin, and Greiss is UFA. He should get every chance to play. Sometimes it's as simple as that .
Also letting you know we ended play by losing 11 of our last 13 games with the 2 wins against the Sharks and Sens. I am an Isles fan since the 70's but feel the Cats will be top of the food chain in this matchup. I hope I am wrong of course . Good luck

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

View attachment 347864

View attachment 347865

Actually I think it would be “so Panthers” to sweep the series (or win it in general), give everyone hope that we can compete, and then get swept or otherwise lose to the lightning.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Isles fan here . Hope you Cats are all safe . I am guessing Varlamov will be the #1 goalie . He is signed long term for pretty big money, is going to be the mentor for Sorokin, and Greiss is UFA. He should get every chance to play. Sometimes it's as simple as that .
Also letting you know we ended play by losing 11 of our last 13 games with the 2 wins against the Sharks and Sens. I am an Isles fan since the 70's but feel the Cats will be top of the food chain in this matchup. I hope I am wrong of course . Good luck[/QUOTE]

You too bud.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
99381851_2562490944006461_4041637020936699904_o.png

Actually I think it would be “so Panthers” to sweep the series (or win it in general), give everyone hope that we can compete, and then get swept or otherwise lose to the lightning.
Is Florida even the underdog in this matchup? Like I'll be surprised if they win but it's hardly a top tier opponent, the Islanders hadn't beat a team higher than 28th overall in a month. Mind you anyone except Montreal could win their play-in matchup and I wouldn't be surprised, it's pretty much a new season.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

View attachment 347864

View attachment 347865

My numbers might be off a touch, but Panthers are a totally different team then when they played their season series versus the Islanders. They just looked like a different team at the end of the regular season, both figuratively and actually.

These are some of the Panthers that suited up in the three games versus the Islanders this season:

1. Brown x2
  2. Malgi x3
  3. Hunt x2
  4. Toni x3
  5. Hawk x1
Not saying that these are the greatest players and would make a world of difference, but the Panthers have had different players in their lineup last time they played.

Also all three games against the Islanders this season were one goal games: one was a shootout, and the other was an empty net (the middle game was a regulation loss.)

Bob only played two of the games (Monty with the other in October) and he had a average SV% of .938 those two games. Pretty good.
The Panthers also out-shot the Islanders in the three games +14.

The season series took place in 2019. This is now 2020 baby :newyear: Panthers are more battle-tested. The only thing I worry about is a slow start after the break, like they had in February.

Other than that, all signs point to a series win IMO.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yeah IDK man, not too happy about the matchup.
Three things for me:
- if Barkov's completely healthy, that raises our chanches significantly
- does some version of "good Bob" show up? This would be the perfect time to redeem himself after a bad season
- Quenneville's first year also left me somewhat disappointed - not in a "hate that guy, bring out the torches!!!" way, but for a 3times cup winning, one of the highest paid coaches in the league, I expected more. Now would be a good time to remind us why we were so excited for him in the summer.

Also I'm in the "dump Matheson on whoever will take him" camp, but some of his best play came in that playoff series against Islanders a few years back. Who knows, maybe he's the star of this series and his career finally takes the turn we've been hoping for recently? Yeah....

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
My numbers might be off a touch, but Panthers are a totally different team then when they played their season series versus the Islanders. They just looked like a different team at the end of the regular season, both figuratively and actually.

These are some of the Panthers that suited up in the three games versus the Islanders this season:

1. Brown x2
  2. Malgi x3
  3. Hunt x2
  4. Toni x3
  5. Hawk x1
Not saying that these are the greatest players and would make a world of difference, but the Panthers have had different players in their lineup last time they played.

Also all three games against the Islanders this season were one goal games: one was a shootout, and the other was an empty net (the middle game was a regulation loss.)

Bob only played two of the games (Monty with the other in October) and he had a average SV% of .938 those two games. Pretty good.
The Panthers also out-shot the Islanders in the three games +14.

The season series took place in 2019. This is now 2020 baby :newyear: Panthers are more battle-tested. The only thing I worry about is a slow start after the break, like they had in February.

Other than that, all signs point to a series win IMO.

I have no idea what to expect tbh, this is uncharted territory. But a hot goalie can win a series especially in the beginning when it's best of five.

Reactions: Cold Cat

goCatsgo4

Jul 5, 2015
Florida
Barkov has clearly been hurt all year, I would THINK this time off gave him a chance to heal whatever has been bothering him. If true, that could be huge for us.

With that said - my expectations are low.
The only thing that's been hurting Barkov all year is a broken heart because that girlfriend he had dumped him!

Reactions: batting1k

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I’ve honestly forgotten hockey so even seeing three games maximum in a sweep is a bonus. That said, I don’t know what to expect from our team. Our team is so consistently inconsistent that I have no clue what will happen.

-ghoste

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
99381851_2562490944006461_4041637020936699904_o.png

Is Florida even the underdog in this matchup? Like I'll be surprised if they win but it's hardly a top tier opponent, the Islanders hadn't beat a team higher than 28th overall in a month. Mind you anyone except Montreal could win their play-in matchup and I wouldn't be surprised, it's pretty much a new season.
According to all odds makers the Islanders are favorites to win the series 3-2. We have the 4th worst odds to win the cup. Only Chicago, Montreal and Blue Jackets are lower.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I’ve honestly forgotten hockey so even seeing three games maximum in a sweep is a bonus. That said, I don’t know what to expect from our team. Our team is so consistently inconsistent that I have no clue what will happen.

-ghoste

Mellanby killed the rat and we got to the finals but swept so Barkov has to kill a gator and we win the whole damn thing?
Let the plastic gators fly!
Strap in man, maybe a 49ers like run for the Panthers?
Anything can happen, it's why we watch.

Reactions: Ghoste

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The only issue is this team is not structurally built for playoff hockey. We just have to hope that the crazy circumstances throw a wrench into everything and it can be anyone’s game. And bob wakes up. And matheson. And Yandle.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHGoalie27

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Mellanby killed the rat and we got to the finals but swept so Barkov has to kill a gator and we win the whole damn thing?
Let the plastic gators fly!
Strap in man, maybe a 49ers like run for the Panthers?
Anything can happen, it's why we watch.

You mean a Chiefs like run for the Panthers? :naughty:

Don't worry folks, I'm a Chiefs and Raptors fan and I now know how to win. :win:

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad