Florida, Pittsburgh, Edmonton and Islanders fans, would you take Laine or Matthews?

Add Laine or Matthews?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Current Pens team I take Laine. Deadly goal scoring winger to slot next to Malkin or Crosby.

To start a rebuild, I take Matthews.

I'd still probably lean toward Matthews. The Pens would then be able to essentially roll out three #1 lines, with an elite center driving each one.

Laine would make one line dominant, but they'd be a bit top heavy.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'd still probably lean toward Matthews. The Pens would then be able to essentially roll out three #1 lines, with an elite center driving each one.

Isn't that what the Penguins did when they had Crosby, Malkin and Jordan Staal as their top 3 centres?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Pens have Brassard though, one of the best playoff performers of the last several years.

So they can still roll three great lines if they have Laine.

I also think Laine gives them the best chance to maximize Crosby and Malkin while they are still elite players. Swap out Sheary for Laine and that's a crazy top nine..

With Matthews, he or Brassard are playing out of position.... not sure how well that would work.

Also have to consider how happy Matthews would be playing third line pivot for the next few years. Probably wouldn't be too thrilled about it.

Isn't that what the Penguins did when they had Crosby, Malkin and Jordan Staal as their top 3 centres?

Then Staal got mad and wanted to leave so...

Like I said above, how long would Matthews be happy being a third pivot? He certainly wouldn't push Crosby or Malkin into that role for the foreseeable future.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
You can’t change someone’s mind who clearly has an agenda and won’t listen.

Posters like you are a waste of time to discuss with.

You’re illpucks and asiantuntija level obnoxious.

Laine is a phenomenal goal scorer put in a relatively safe position for him to continue his success.

This 50% shooting 2 week stretch is unsustainable. I don’t doubt he’ll have streaks like this regularly through his career. I think it will be tougher for him when his qoc and zone starts get harder.

Both of which already happened during his rookie season..he had 33 goals and 61 points in 61 games too...before being moved to little line where he faced easier comp and went cold for the remainer until 73 games played lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For all those who complain about the oilers drafting high

If we had been using the old system--Laine would be ab oiler

McDavid to Laine? just think about that
Even if the Oilers got the 1st pick in 2016 which they had a chance seeing as they second last after the Leafs, you think they take Laine or do they trade down and select him at #2? Let's remember in 2015 prior to them winning the lottery everyone said they needed help on defense and if they didn't move up chances are they would have selected Noah Hanifin. However once they knew they were selecting 1st they had to get McDavid, so wouldn't that same logic applied to Matthews? Let's remember everyone had Matthews as the concusses #1 pick and best player available.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Even if the Oilers got the 1st pick in 2016 which they had a chance seeing as they second last after the Leafs, you think they take Laine or do they trade down and select him at #2? Let's remember in 2015 prior to them winning the lottery everyone said they needed help on defense and if they didn't move up chances are they would have selected Noah Hanifin. However once they knew they were selecting 1st they had to get McDavid, so wouldn't that same logic applied to Matthews? Let's remember everyone had Matthews as the concusses #1 pick and best player available.
chances are charelli would swap the 1st pick for the 2nd one just like that.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
You should include some other teams that have amazing Cs but lack winger depth. That should tip the results even further in the direction they are going, as was intended.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Highly doubt that, the poll suggests otherwise. Why would Pittsburgh want Matthews because he’s a Center if he’s

A. Gonna have 3rd line minutes

or

B. Convert to a Winger(which would automatically make Laine better than).

Ugh man, I used to love the Jets but reading fans like you in the mainboards has poisoned them in my mind. I wish it hadn't.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Ugh man, I used to love the Jets but reading fans like you in the mainboards has poisoned them in my mind. I wish it hadn't.

How’s that a false? If Matthews converted to Wing the Leaf fans like yourself would have no more excuses to why Matthews is better.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'm not convinced Laine would even be a better winger than Matthews, who has stronger board play, is the best finisher around the net in the league, and probably has the highest off-the-puck ozone IQ in the league.

member 147413

Both of which already happened during his rookie season..he had 33 goals and 61 points in 61 games too...before being moved to little line where he faced easier comp and went cold for the remainer until 73 games played lol
He has nearly 60% even strength ozone starts, I don’t know his qoc, but I’d assume teams match Sceif/Wheeler ahead of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Well no, because Staal was never a #1 center. Staal was essentially a 2C with Selke defense, but he couldn't really drive a line offensively the way Matthews can.

member 147413

How’s that a false? If Matthews converted to Wing the Leaf fans like yourself would have no more excuses to why Matthews is better.
Higher PPG, tougher matchups, calder, draft pedigree...

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
as a florida fan i say matthews has more value being a centerman, so that was my pick. having said that i would rather laine actually on the panthers because we have barkov that he could play with, and we have trocheck on line 2 anyways.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Higher PPG, tougher matchups, calder, draft pedigree...

1. Laine has the higher PPG out of the two (128/142 vs 119/135)
2. Tougher matchups could be an argument although that's more at the discretion of the coach
3. Calder - fair, Matthews had a better season last season
4. Draft pedigree is a ridiculous argument - by that argument, RNH and Landeskog are better than Kucherov and Gaudreau

I think Matthews is probably a better player right now, but these arguments are extremely weak

member 147413

1. Laine has the higher PPG out of the two (128/142 vs 119/135)
2. Tougher matchups could be an argument although that's more at the discretion of the coach
3. Calder - fair, Matthews had a better season last season
4. Draft pedigree is a ridiculous argument - by that argument, RNH and Landeskog are better than Kucherov and Gaudreau

I think Matthews is probably a better player right now, but these arguments are extremely weak
Didn’t realize his PPG was higher, appreciate the info.

I added the draft pedigree argument because seeing as both players are very close in other aspects, something that happened less than 2 years ago still has some relevance at least in my mind. I understand it’s a weak argument, but so is suggesting “Matthews has nothing over Laine if he were a winger”.

Why is it that when Laine is producing at a solid pace however, Matthews is outproducing him in goals, assists and PPG, there is no comparison threads. Then Matthews gets injured and Laine goes on a ridiculous (unsustainable) streak. There’s polls everywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Critical
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad