Florida pitfall?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...n-tickets-0820110820,0,430803.story?track=rss

New club area has some fans very upset. Like one guy who paid $5k for his row 15 pair of seats and to keep them is looking at $22,500 PER seat. (But that includes many other events in addition to hockey games.)

"Obviously, it's going to be a significant revenue generator for the organization. We also think it's going to create a very unique experience for those people that become members," said Michael Yormark, president and COO of the Panthers and SSE. "We did do focus groups, we talked to our season-seat holders. This was not something that was done in haste."

Yormark said a decision hasn't been made to go ahead with Club Red but could come by the end of the month. There would be 672 seats in the area. The change would affect about 180 current account holders who occupy about 360 seats in the area, according to the Panthers.
Mickey Kay, of Coconut Creek, said he won't renew his two season tickets and that friends who have six seats feel similarly. White said he has been in contact with holders of 52 other season tickets in section 134 who are upset about having to give up seats they have occupied for years.

"I don't know who they got feedback from because it wasn't me, it wasn't the 50 people I polled in my section," White said. "We've been sitting together the whole time in the arena. We've become good friends. We meet once a month in and out of season to get together."

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...n-tickets-0820110820,0,430803.story?track=rss

New club area has some fans very upset. Like one guy who paid $5k for his row 15 pair of seats and to keep them is looking at $22,500 PER seat. (But that includes many other events in addition to hockey games.)

But at least the Panthers are trying to do right by the STHs displaced - working with them to relocate and giving them a 50% discount for a year.

Season-ticket holders in three prime sections at BankAtlantic Center received a letter more than a week ago advising them of tentative plans to convert part of the lower bowl into an "ultra-premium, all-inclusive" area to be known as Club Red beginning in July 2012. They were given first right of refusal or the option of choosing comparable seats at a 50 percent discount for the 2012-13 season.

Yormark said he understands the emotional response and that efforts are being made to find acceptable seats in other sections for those who want to move.

"We've come up with attractive options that in many cases would actually save these seat-holders money moving forward if they choose to take advantage," Yormark said. "I am a firm believer that we'll satisfy every single one of our season-seat holders, and that ultimately we're not going to lose anybody."

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If the "comparable seats" are indeed comparable, those fans should be stoked. Same quality at half the price.

If they're slightly worse though, then I can understand them being more than being a bit peeved by this. Still, half off ain't exactly something to ***** about.

Plus, it's not like they're being forced to pay a huge amount more for their seats. That'd only be the case if they wanted the exact same spot in the new area they're working on.

That being said, hard to think that the Panthers are going to get that many takers for seats that expensive regardless of how much they add to it.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
If the "comparable seats" are indeed comparable, those fans should be stoked. Same quality at half the price.

If they're slightly worse though, then I can understand them being more than being a bit peeved by this. Still, half off ain't exactly something to ***** about.

Plus, it's not like they're being forced to pay a huge amount more for their seats. That'd only be the case if they wanted the exact same spot in the new area they're working on.

That being said, hard to think that the Panthers are going to get that many takers for seats that expensive regardless of how much they add to it.

It's not a new arena. They are just converting parts of three prime lower bowl center ice sections into virtual luxury boxes - an exclusive private club and admission to all BankAtlantic Center events at luxury box prices ($22.5K/seat is about equivalent to a $250K luxury box).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
It's not a new arena. They are just converting parts of three prime lower bowl center ice sections into virtual luxury boxes - an exclusive private club and admission to all BankAtlantic Center events at luxury box prices ($22.5K/seat is about equivalent to a $250K luxury box).

I know. I said "area," not "arena." :P

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Certainly interesting, however..... who would pay close to $50,000 in Miami for a couple of seats to Panthers games & concerts when you can get equally good seats for $5000 & hand pick whatever other events you might want to attend?. Sure its all inclusive, even still...... Yormark in conjunction with Zimmerman Advertising down there are most definitely targeting the wealthy, what with the sale of the "ice surface naming rights" to Lexus & now this. They've put together an entire campaign around "We See Red", with "Club Red Zone", a video they put out called the "We See Red Manifesto", a 2011 special edition "We See Red Jerseys" etc etc etc. I like the concept, but when you can buy a 1200sq ft condo on the beach in Miami for less than 50 grand that 4yrs ago was listed at $300K then one has to wonder how realistic it is to be expecting anyone to buy into the Club Red Zone, even on a limited & exclusive basis.

Note; and in another first; "the Panthers off-Season is brought to you by JetBlue". Incredible. Yormark strings together a bunch of non-events during the Dog Days of Summer, turns around & sells the "Off-Season" to a corporate sponsor. Slaps their name on some banners & pop-ups on the Panthers website, logo ID on press releases etc . The guys like Nascar on Acid.... :laugh:

Last edited:

matCH penalty

May 25, 2011
I like the concept, but when you can buy a 1200sq ft condo on the beach in Miami for less than 50 grand that 4yrs ago was listed at $300K then one has to wonder how realistic it is to be expecting anyone to buy into the Club Red Zone, even on a limited & exclusive basis.

They better hope this marketing push is backed up in the standings, or this is going to be one gigantic load of pure, non-stop jokes.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
This affects like 600 people out of the thousands of season ticket holders. Overall, nobody should be complaining. It's their building and their product, they can make the cost whatever they choose.

If an Ipad was $1000 a year ago and is $500 now, do those people who bought it originally get screwed over? Yeah, but are they complaining about?

It's not like this is Toronto, where once you give up season tickets, you likely aren't getting them again. Yormark has said that every displaced season ticket holder can move to another section and get a discount. What more can a company do?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Certainly interesting, however..... who would pay close to $50,000 in Miami for a couple of seats to Panthers games & concerts when you can get equally good seats for $5000 & hand pick whatever other events you might want to attend?. Sure its all inclusive, even still...... Yormark in conjunction with Zimmerman Advertising down there are most definitely targeting the wealthy, what with the sale of the "ice surface naming rights" to Lexus & now this. They've put together an entire campaign around "We See Red", with "Club Red Zone", a video they put out called the "We See Red Manifesto", a 2011 special edition "We See Red Jerseys" etc etc etc. I like the concept, but when you can buy a 1200sq ft condo on the beach in Miami for less than 50 grand that 4yrs ago was listed at $300K then one has to wonder how realistic it is to be expecting anyone to buy into the Club Red Zone, even on a limited & exclusive basis.

Note; and in another first; "the Panthers off-Season is brought to you by JetBlue". Incredible. Yormark strings together a bunch of non-events during the Dog Days of Summer, turns around & sells the "Off-Season" to a corporate sponsor. Slaps their name on some banners & pop-ups on the Panthers website, logo ID on press releases etc . The guys like Nascar on Acid.... :laugh:

If you look at it like this say they are $22 grand per seat you get home games and access to a lounge for some this could be very appealing and be well worth it when you add everything up.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm sorry the part that blows me away is, people are paying 5 grand for an entire row of seats for the season. No wonder I hate revenue sharing.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If you look at it like this say they are $22 grand per seat you get home games and access to a lounge for some this could be very appealing and be well worth it when you add everything up.

Well sure, and if they can put together a dynamite package of events on top of the hockey games, maybe hire Bobby Flay to provide the feast, with an open & all inclusive bar that includes several brands of 75yr old Scotch, minimum 30yr old wines, valet parking, take-home Red Packs with goodies from DeBeers, Tiffany&Co, Armani & Hugo Boss, then they might be on to something. You'd better have some really, and I mean REALLY serious perceived & intrinsic values (along with a competitive team, which Tallon seems to be laying the groundwork for) with all kinds of flexibility provided to the purchaser in such a package. Can it be accomplished?. Quite likely, but its going to take a few years to fill those section's, and based on Yormarks' comments, he's well aware of that. Logistically, in terms of actual execution, its highly problematical.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I'm sorry the part that blows me away is, people are paying 5 grand for an entire row of seats for the season. No wonder I hate revenue sharing.

You read it wrong. They're paying 5 grand for a PAIR of seats in the 15th row.

I support a revenue sharing team. I pay right at $4200 for 2 seats on the third tier. They aren't giving seats away just because there is revenue sharing involved.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

This is obviously targeted toward the small corporate market - they can buy 2 or 4 seats and get most of the amenities of a luxury box, at roughly the same cost per seat, without having to shell out $250K for a whole suite.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This is obviously targeted toward the small corporate market - they can buy 2 or 4 seats and get most of the amenities of a luxury box, at roughly the same cost per seat, without having to shell out $250K for a whole suite.

That was my initial reaction & assumption kdb, yet Yormarks' comments seem to imply not. That Club Red Zone is geared towards individuals & not corporations, large or small. Superficially it looks like a comfortable price for small-med sized business's to be buying in at but for those comments. Maybe I mis-read it or else he was mis-quoted.....

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

mod del

this promotion is simply for corporate folk - there's no doubt about it. no sane individual is going to shell out that type of $$ for season tickets. but corporations will. they claim they've done their due diligence and will be able to sell enough seats to make this plan viable. if they do - the plan should give them a ridiculous boost in revenue. that's almost a 10x jump in price per seat, in 3 sections. to lazy to do the math, but it's alot of money.

what i dont get about the fans complaining....why not just move to the other side of center ice?

Last edited by a moderator:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
this promotion is simply for corporate folk - there's no doubt about it. no sane individual is going to shell out that type of $$ for season tickets. but corporations will. they claim they've done their due diligence and will be able to sell enough seats to make this plan viable. if they do - the plan should give them a ridiculous boost in revenue. that's almost a 10x jump in price per seat, in 3 sections. to lazy to do the math, but it's alot of money.

what i dont get about the fans complaining....why not just move to the other side of center ice?

People get familiar with the folks sitting around them...something like this shakes up the status quo. Some may move across the arena, some may move to a corner, some may take the opportunity to downsize. It is a forced change, though, and people balk at that. It took me 3 years to move from one area to another simply because I didn't want to lose what I had. Now I'm glad I did and wish I'd done it years before, but I still miss seeing some of the people in my old section.

Last edited by a moderator:

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
People get familiar with the folks sitting around them...something like this shakes up the status quo. Some may move across the arena, some may move to a corner, some may take the opportunity to downsize. It is a forced change, though, and people balk at that. It took me 3 years to move from one area to another simply because I didn't want to lose what I had. Now I'm glad I did and wish I'd done it years before, but I still miss seeing some of the people in my old section.

:nod:

This team has been pretty ****** for about 10 years, so I'm sure for many of these fans, the best part of these games is just getting together with the group they've become familiar with and talking about hockey. That's being taken away from them. Of course they can just move to another area of the rink and do the same thing there..but like you said, forced change..

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

eh...at a 50% discount, i'd welcome that "forced change" with open arms. you can still see the same people before/during intermissions/after if it's really that big a deal.

i wish it was me who was getting "evicted" (i sit in sect. 132 haha)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That price tag isnt just for Panthers games, it'll include innumerable concerts & events, so ya, it'll probably be appealing to a certain segment of the business community who may not have the budget or inclination to go with a suite. What still confuses me however are Yormarks' comments, that no, in fact the Club Red Zone packages are geared towards individuals & not the corporate sector. Color me confused. :dunno:

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
That price tag isnt just for Panthers games, it'll include innumerable concerts & events, so ya, it'll probably be appealing to a certain segment of the business community who may not have the budget or inclination to go with a suite. What still confuses me however are Yormarks' comments, that no, in fact the Club Red Zone packages are geared towards individuals & not the corporate sector. Color me confused. :dunno:

If I am understanding it right:

Club Red: Coporate

Red Zone: Individuals

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
You could well be right TL. Makes sense. :thumbu:

The difficulty is that they both have "red" in the name, so there's that. I mean if you called the Club "Club Red" and the fan zone "Panther Den" (but some might feel that sounds like a kids club :laugh:).

Now I'm gonna get some smartie saying that Panthers don't live in dens, they live in trees ;)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
eh...at a 50% discount, i'd welcome that "forced change" with open arms. you can still see the same people before/during intermissions/after if it's really that big a deal.

i wish it was me who was getting "evicted" (i sit in sect. 132 haha)

Maybe they're seeing if they can pout long enough to get a 75% discount. Worth a shot, I guess.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Maybe they're seeing if they can pout long enough to get a 75% discount. Worth a shot, I guess.

nah - they're legitimately angry. i dont get it though, id take the 50% off and move to the other side of the arena and say "thanks!" - but maybe thats the poor college student in me :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->