Florida Panthers: The Perpetual Build

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Panthers are what happens to teams that over emphasise analytics as the only means of determining your roster. This is a bad trend in hockey because coaches fall in love with players that look busy with decent possession numbers but arent that talented. There has to be some middle ground between the modern and classic way of scouting and roster make up. This is not baseball. I would argue that hockey is a much more complex game with more nuance.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Florida is just in a bad cycle

No fan support - team loses money every year - team can’t afford good coaching, management, scouts, players - team loses more than it wins - fans don’t support constant losing in a place like Florida - Cycle continues
They had a great coach. Management is just inept.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Vinny Viola has money, unlike Coyotes ownership. But just like the Coyotes, that arena location is killing them.
Panthers don't havea big budget though. The owners money is only a small reason for a team having "Money".
Vinny being nutty is a much bigger concern.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Trochek and Barlov are wasting their careers. I hope both can get out of there sooner than later.

Same as McDavid.

As to people saying four games, I get it if you are a top team who makes the playoffs all the time, but for the Panthers the early season is crucial for them to bank points so they don't have to play every game at the end as a must win.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
No, my logic is the Panthers' schedule isn't bad. Haven't travelled outside the state. Aside from TBL, the teams they played are pretty average. Only negative part is the relatively long breaks between games. But if you want to use it as an excuse you're welcome to.
Florida still has Europe trip. Doesn’t matter what teams you play. Also have most back to backs in league. Oilers schedule isn’t worse

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The Panthers are what happens to teams that over emphasise analytics as the only means of determining your roster. This is a bad trend in hockey because coaches fall in love with players that look busy with decent possession numbers but arent that talented. There has to be some middle ground between the modern and classic way of scouting and roster make up. This is not baseball. I would argue that hockey is a much more complex game with more nuance.
Panthers ditched the all in on analytics 2 years ago.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Panthers ditched the all in on analytics 2 years ago.
They shouldn’t have done it in the first place, or at least not at the expense of booting Tallon to a position where he had no say in hockey operations. Tallon actually had them on the right track before then. For all the people saying their operational budget restrains the Panthers, he was doing a good job drafting prospects.

And, as I said before, it was the analytics guys who fired Gallant. I’m surprised nobody in this thread is bringing that up. Not only was it done when the Panthers were doing OK, but it was done in a matter that would have been completely unprofessional in any industry, not just in pro sports.

Reactions: PassittoLetestu

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
They shouldn’t have done it in the first place, or at least not at the expense of booting Tallon to a position where he had no say in hockey operations. Tallon actually had them on the right track before then. For all the people saying their operational budget restrains the Panthers, he was doing a good job drafting prospects.

And, as I said before, it was the analytics guys who fired Gallant. I’m surprised nobody in this thread is bringing that up. Not only was it done when the Panthers were doing OK, but it was done in a matter that would have been completely unprofessional in any industry, not just in pro sports.

But Moneyball made Rowe cry so they had to do it.

Great post, could not have put it any better than that.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wouldn’t fix our trash defense.

Drafting Thomas Chabot over Lawson Crouse in 2015 would have gone a long way. Having March and Smith would also give you additional valuable assets that could be used to fix the defense.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Or Canucks who play 6 of their first 7 on the road against far better teams than those.
That's the best kind of start IMO ... get a long road trip out of the way while everyone is still full of energy, get some good teams out of the way while they're working out the kinks. Also good for team bonding, getting rookies acclimated etc.
There's probably a stat that proves I'm full of crap though. :DD

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
See, they were in the process of getting out of that cycle when they made the playoffs a couple years ago, and I thought they were a team on the up and up a couple of years before that due to shrewd drafting. Then ownership took a sledgehammer to the process for no apparent reason and now they’re back in it.

If they can’t find their groove again, then I hope Viola cuts his losses and either sells to somebody who will put the team somewhere that’s accessible to people in Miami, or moves them entirely to Quebec. As things stand now, they’re not gonna get many fans when they’re 45 minutes away from proper Miami, no matter how good they might be.

I'm certain there are more hockey fans in Ft Lauderdale and West Palm than Miami. Best place for a stadium is Fort Lauderdale. Besides, the low attendance is from the continued lack of success, not the stadium being too far from freakin Miami.

Also the Panther's aren't likely relocating until 2023 at the earliest. They must pay large penalties to the County if they do.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I'm certain there are more hockey fans in Ft Lauderdale and West Palm than Miami. Best place for a stadium is Fort Lauderdale. Besides, the low attendance is from the continued lack of success, not the stadium being too far from freakin Miami.

Also the Panther's aren't likely relocating until 2023 at the earliest. They must pay large penalties to the County if they do.
Forgive me, I’m not entirely familiar with South Florida geography and demographics. So it’s not a Glendale problem like the Coyotes have where their fans mostly would live on the other side of the valley.

I’m not saying the Panthers should leave immediately either. But if at that point they’re still not doing so well, I can see a sale happening.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Forgive me, I’m not entirely familiar with South Florida geography and demographics. So it’s not a Glendale problem like the Coyotes have where their fans mostly would live on the other side of the valley.

I’m not saying the Panthers should leave immediately either. But if at that point they’re still not doing so well, I can see a sale happening.

Yeah I agree with the other guy, there are more hockey fans in Fort Lauderdale than in Miami. Even aside from demographics, Miami has too many other distractions. Your more "regular folk" who will invest the time and money in a hockey team is going to be in Fort Lauderdale.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
South Florida is a strangely shaped metropolis. Endless sprawl North-South to take advantage of available land and the oceanfront, very thin East-West because of the Everglades. Then the rough traffic makes attending games even more difficult. Has little to do with the fanbase, a lot to do with geographic circumstances and questionable urban planning.

FL really should have parlayed Marchessault and Smith into usable defensive/goaltending assets.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
South Florida is a strangely shaped metropolis. Endless sprawl North-South to take advantage of available land and the oceanfront, very thin East-West because of the Everglades. Then the rough traffic makes attending games even more difficult. Has little to do with the fanbase, a lot to do with geographic circumstances and questionable urban planning.

FL really should have parlayed Marchessault and Smith into usable defensive/goaltending assets.

Yeah, tri county (PBC, Broward, Miami Dade) has poorly planned public transport. Piss poor.

Ice a winning team for 2 or 3 years straight, I say the stadium sells out regularly right where it is. There are like 3 highways that converge on the stadium. I-75, I-595, Sawgrass Expressway.

I-75 connects west miami dade via 3 highways (826, gratigny, turnpike extension), 595 connects fort lauderdale and north miami via I-95 and the sawgrass connects palm beach via the turnpike and i-95. southbound traffic is not bad on sawgrass evening time. i drive it every day. 595 west can be rough in the evening if you don't need the express lanes, but they do exit right onto the sawgrass. both just completed major upgrade including express lanes and optimizing old-style off ramps. i've heard 75's traffic has improved in both directions since construction completed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->