Florida Panthers: The Perpetual Build

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
They almost win all their 4 games, actually. They looked not worse, than opponents, and it's to say the least. Considering, their 2nd line can't still find any chemistry, and their defense doesn't look great, they aren't that bad. Hoffman, Trochek and Huberdeau can start scoring goals at any moment, their 1st line is great, and their bottom 6 don't look as terrible as they did last year. The team's probably going to start winning pretty soon.

One thing they should probably do is make their 3rd pair 2nd and vice versa.

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
So your logic is that the Oilers schedule is worse, so that means the Panthers isn't bad!

Both schedules are bad. Just because one is potential worse than the other, doesn't mean they are both not bad!

No, my logic is the Panthers' schedule isn't bad. Haven't travelled outside the state. Aside from TBL, the teams they played are pretty average. Only negative part is the relatively long breaks between games. But if you want to use it as an excuse you're welcome to.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
No, my logic is the Panthers' schedule isn't bad. Haven't travelled outside the state. Aside from TBL, the teams they played are pretty average. Only negative part is the relatively long breaks between games. But if you want to use it as an excuse you're welcome to.

Philadelphia is not in Florida.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Not a commentary on their current standing cause it's early, but I never understood why they brought back Dale Tallon.

He was given 6-years before being removed, and he only made the playoffs twice & never won a round. Most GMs would rightfully be fired for such low performance.

His first move after inexplicably being brought back was to then give Vegas 2/3 of their top line for free.

It's been a decade and his rep is still living off of drafting Kane & Toews.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Is that so surprising? You need at least 3 dmen for OT, and Florida also had to kill a full 2 minute penalty.
It’s very surprising. He’s our worst player. But boughner considers him the chosen one. He is the chosen one at f***ing everything up. And if you’re a philly fan you know how badly you exposed petrovic and Pysyk that game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this early on, if they are playing well and losing games, we should just wait on it. I think Arizona is better than their record too. In the past we've seen teams start on huge winning streaks but miss the playoffs (I think there was a year where Minny won 10 and then missed?)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Florida doesnt deserve to be good after the legendary stupidity they displayed by giving Marchessault and Smith to Vegas and protecting guys like Bjugstad and Petrovic. Theyd be quite formidable had they not done that.

Reactions: Bleedred

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Hoo boy, I could not have imagined how rough this start would be after how they finished last year. Yes, you can joke about how Arizona had a hot 2nd half as well last year and isn't starting well either, but they did do that thing where they actually won a game :/

So what's gone wrong? Is it goaltending? Reimer has not been good enough, in most games, especially in that shootout against Tampa, but he also played an admirable game against them coming in relief playing more than half the game and was generally fine against Vancouver. He's gotta be better and I hope Hutchinson can pick it up as well.

But the defense, man oh man, it's been bad. Keith Yandle has probably caused more goals than he's helped create. Mike Matheson, his suspension aside, was not up to par. Unfortunately, Jacob MacDonald, who had a stellar debut, got sent down shortly after to make room for Bogdan Kiselevich, who granted has been decent, but MacDonald deserves to be on this team.

The PP FINALLY got one measly goal on Tuesday. The 2nd line has been fairly brutal, in fact, the 4th line is outplaying them. Yeah, Troy Brouwer is getting more done than Mike Hoffman, who would have thought that. At least Barkov and Dadonov are still their awesome selves.

Don't get me started on Boughner. The Yandle-Ekblad tandem is awful. Vatrano in the shootout was foolish. Benching Sceviour was dumb.

I don't know what is going on with this team, but it isn't as simple as Luongo not playing. If they somehow manage to beat the Capitals, I'll be greatly confused. Of course, they play Detroit on Saturday, so I guess something's gotta give.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
They don't have any consistent good structure. They look structured for a period, then the next period it falls apart. I think it would make a huge difference defensively.
And that's been a big issue, blown defensive assignments.
Somehow, they have to figure that out. And they have to do it quickly.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
The problem with the Panthers started when Vinny Viola quasi-fired Dale Tallon and replaced him with nerds. You can harp on Dale’s failures after he was rehired all you want, and I’ll agree that it hasn’t been smooth, but he definitely had them on the right track before then. There was no reason to fix what wasn’t broken, other than the fact that Viola is a meddlesome owner.

And people still defend the “computer guys” today! It wasn’t Tallon that unceremoniously fired Gerard Gallant.
Florida doesnt deserve to be good after the legendary stupidity they displayed by giving Marchessault and Smith to Vegas and protecting guys like Bjugstad and Petrovic. Theyd be quite formidable had they not done that.
My NHL conspiracy theory was that the Panthers willingly allowed Vegas to get Gallant, Marchessault, and Smith as a pact between two West Point chud owners.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The Panthers botched everything starting in the 2016 offseason. They lost a series to the Isles where they were likely the better team and overreacted or just simply thought they needed to make changes and made the wrong ones. The two deals they made that summer I thought really messed up the D core .

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Florida is just in a bad cycle

No fan support - team loses money every year - team can’t afford good coaching, management, scouts, players - team loses more than it wins - fans don’t support constant losing in a place like Florida - Cycle continues

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets

No fan support - team loses money every year - team can’t afford good coaching, management, scouts, players - team loses more than it wins - fans don’t support constant losing in a place like Florida - Cycle continues
See, they were in the process of getting out of that cycle when they made the playoffs a couple years ago, and I thought they were a team on the up and up a couple of years before that due to shrewd drafting. Then ownership took a sledgehammer to the process for no apparent reason and now they’re back in it.

If they can’t find their groove again, then I hope Viola cuts his losses and either sells to somebody who will put the team somewhere that’s accessible to people in Miami, or moves them entirely to Quebec. As things stand now, they’re not gonna get many fans when they’re 45 minutes away from proper Miami, no matter how good they might be.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Yup. That's the exact point I made. The lack of a proper operational budget really hurts these teams. They have to start making $. Same with Arizona.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The Panthers botched everything starting in the 2016 offseason. They lost a series to the Isles where they were likely the better team and overreacted or just simply thought they needed to make changes and made the wrong ones. The two deals they made that summer I thought really messed up the D core .

what exactly did they do wrong that year.

the biggest problem was the expansion draft.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
the panthers have not won a single playoff series in 22 years. That is just downright sad when the bolts have been to two finals and won a cup in that time span.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad