Confirmed with Link: Florida Panthers Officially Name Joel Quenneville Their Next Head Coach

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Didn't GR said Tallon wasn't going for Trouba or Subban?

Edler is always an option imo. He's not very durable, but with Yandle and Matheson also on the left side, maybe he wouldn't be overplayed and he could play 60+ games?

He did. Karlsson too. During the Athletic Q&A. @pb1300 posted a transcript. He said they would be too high cap wise.

Reactions: Kellyr

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He didnt necessarily shoot down the Trouba idea. EK65 and Subban were pretty much out of the question. GR thinks we could get our Dman at the draft, so Trouba could be a possibility.

ah.

He said 5 mil so I DQed Trouba...but GR did say a Vet D man for 5 million....so maybe?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Give him credit in general or me personally? I've given him plenty of credit for his coaching hires, bringing in Campbell/Luongo (even tho these were cap causality no-brainers everyone on these boards said should happen before they even happened....but the credit I give is for dumping Olesz in the process), adding Theodore, adding Garrison, drafting Tro in the 3rd round, targeting Jagr, adding Dads/Vatrano and working the phones for Hoff.

Other than that, why should he be granted so much favoritism, because we won the division? Big deal. Let's raise that banner up Nashville Predator-style, 5 more points than the Murray brothers. Other franchises have won the division too in recent years (Avs, Stars, Habs), only to go back to mediocrity the following seasons. Winning some playoff rounds would actually be something, but hey, even Peter Chiarelli has accomplished that. :laugh: The bar is set so low here in Florida (just make the playoffs) and we struggle to even do that. I hardly ever see Dale criticized heavily by the media the way that article did and the breakdowns he made in it is why IMO he is overrated.

I am absolutely ecstatic we got Q here as coach, but I hope he will be the guy doing the majority of the decisions with the roster. If Dale makes all the decisions and we fail again, I foresee the same excuses being used again -- "the players were learning a new system, give Dale one more year".
This was always about starting a rebuild and seeing it through. The division titles were not the end goal, that was just bonuses that we got during a rebuild. Any GM we brought in at that time needed to be able to do a rebuild and see it through. That didn't happen.
I didn't read the article, but the fans mostly call him one of the worst GMs out there. The media rarely openly says that a GM is bad, they will criticize some of his moves, that's about it.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
ah.

He said 5 mil so I DQed Trouba...but GR did say a Vet D man for 5 million....so maybe?

He did say the $5 million range, but when Trouba's name was brought up a couple of times after that comment, there were wait and see answers to it. Trouba could be had, but that would definitely mean we need to get rid of Hoffman. Landing a lower level Dman, at a cheaper rate, could let us keep Hoff.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
He did say the $5 million range, but when Trouba's name was brought up a couple of times after that comment, there were wait and see answers to it. Trouba could be had, but that would definitely mean we need to get rid of Hoffman. Landing a lower level Dman, at a cheaper rate, could let us keep Hoff.
Thats what I want.

Ekblad and Matheson need to improve.. NEED to, and if they do it lets us keep Hoffman and go for a to shore up Pysyk.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

It depends on if we're trying to bring in just bob or also panarin. If we bring in panarin, then there is no room for another dman unless hoffman gets traded. Simply won't fit under the cap for next year.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It depends on if we're trying to bring in just bob or also panarin. If we bring in panarin, then there is no room for another dman unless hoffman gets traded. Simply won't fit under the cap for next year.

Yup. I’ve been over the cap numbers here a few times already. We will see what type of magic Tallon can perform.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We need toughness and stay-home dman?
Penguins eliminated

Gudbranson + 2nd for for 3rd? =)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
LAst rumors I heard were definitely Kitchen and Dineen has a good chance too. Kitchen is an extreme downgrade to McFarland, really unfortunate he lost his job.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
LAst rumors I heard were definitely Kitchen and Dineen has a good chance too. Kitchen is an extreme downgrade to McFarland, really unfortunate he lost his job.

I havent seen anything stating Kitchens was a definite. We know they are all good friends, but his "friendships" seemed to be downplayed a bit when the assistant coaches question came up.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I would think if Q was going to hire Kitchens and Dineen it would be done already.No reason to wait, they are both unemployed. Seems pretty obvious they are not going to be the assistants.

Not necessarily. It’s early in the off-season and Dineen may be waiting to see if any head coaching opportunities arise before he commits to anything.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
"I'm going to spend the entire offseason with a world-class power skating coach to shore up my skating ability" is what I want to hear from Ekblad. I kind of don't like that he's slotting himself on the roster already. I like that he wants to get to that level, I just hope he doesn't want to take a shortcut. I hope he's focused on improving his own game rather than thinking about where his current game fits on the team.

I'll concede outright that I'm probably taking a simple comment too far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->