TSN: Florida Panthers: Off-Season Game Plan

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
If we acquire Sharp, then there's no reason to move forward with Boyes. Sharp will play the same role as Boyes, just a lot better. If we acquire Sharp and keep Boyes, then he's essentially playing the same role as Bergenheim Fleischmann did this past season. Just a road block in the way of one of our kids that could probably have a better effect on the team.

Look at the way Bergenheim was used in the playoffs. Look at Fleischmann last night he was lucky to get in the game and started on the Kesler line and by the end of the game he was bumped down to the 4th line.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If we acquire Sharp, then there's no reason to move forward with Boyes. Sharp will play the same role as Boyes, just a lot better. If we acquire Sharp and keep Boyes, then he's essentially playing the same role as Bergenheim Fleischmann did this past season. Just a road block in the way of one of our kids that could probably have a better effect on the team.

Look at the way Bergenheim was used in the playoffs. Look at Fleischmann last night he was lucky to get in the game and started on the Kesler line and by the end of the game he was bumped down to the 4th line.

Flash had a good game last night. He was very noticeable in the first period especially. The commentators were mentioning him quite a bit.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Half those guys have played over 150 NHL games, what are YOU talking about? Hagelin and Shaw can both be argued as NHL vets at this point since they're north of 220 NHL regular season games.

I'm all for giving the kids a shot, but none of those guys play on 4th lines and that's my point. They all play 3rd line or higher on their teams. Howden getting 8 minutes of ice time is completely pointless unless that's the ceiling you see for him.

If anything, we should sign Paille and get rid of Thornton. He's a useless player out there who has absolutely no ability to finish. His "fighting" was basically worthless all season. Our team is pretty damn big already and a guy like him adds nothing to the roster. Waive him. Bring Howden up and have him, Paille and DMac cause fits for the opposition with their speed/grit.

Paille serves a purpose and has been there as a Cup winner with the Bruins. Remember the last time we surrounded kids with NO decent veterans? A guy like Paille won't hurt the payroll and if he isn't performing, it won't hurt to sit him for a game or two in favor of giving someone else a shot like it would if we had to sit Jussi Jokinen or someone else.

I'm just saying, having a solid 4th line is an underrated thing to have in hockey, especially if we are hoping to reach the playoffs next year. Remember how important John Madden's line was for us in 2012? Same idea. Trust me, I'm a fan of Howden, but Paille will not cost a lot and will be a valuable player down the road. If he wants anywhere more than $2 million we don't bother but if we can get him for 2 years at $1.5 Million, where's the harm?

Just like those players, Howden isn't going to magically be given 100+ games. Just like them he's going to have to actually play. And just like those guys, they move up and down the lineup. Lines rarely ever stay the same. Howden can easily log 10-12 minutes.

I'm not exactly sure what you see in Paille. He was terrible last season and we have enough guys who are overpaid and have won the cup.

You can't honestly say he's any better of an option over the mess that was Flash, Bergy, Upshall and Kopecky. Look how that worked out for our 4th line.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Who's to say Sharp will be much better than Boyes? On paper it might seem that way, but a lot of time players tend to not be the player they were predicted to be when they get here. This has nothing to do with moving Boyes, I'm just saying.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
tbh i don't like hayes in a bottom-6 role, i don't mind boyes on the 3rd if we picked up sharp for the 2nd line. he scores in the high-teens and solid in the shootouts and only making 2.6. although I'm fine with upgrading him with a more 2-way oriented vet forward if we can trade for/sign one for cheap, but if not you get good production for boyes salary.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yeah, but we can't suddenly make Boyes disappear, is my point. I mean I guess we could waive him and demote him, just doesn't seem likely. Especially as FF67 says he gives good production for his contract.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah, but we can't suddenly make Boyes disappear, is my point. I mean I guess we could waive him and demote him, just doesn't seem likely. Especially as FF67 says he gives good production for his contract.

Boyes is so underrated around these parts. He gets paid like a 3rd line winger. He performs like a 3rd line winger.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
My mouse was hovering over the "1" in "18" which made me read your post like this:

Exactly. Its not like Howden or Wilson are 8yr olds being forced on the 4th line.

I also agree with ucanthanzalthetruth, Wilson being the guy to rotate with Thorty. Hopefully taking over for Thorton, sooner than later.

Eight year olds don't have the physical strength, skating ability or toughness to succeed in the fourth line role at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad