Florida Panthers have small group of prospects at junior level

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Florida Panthers system has just six prospects playing in junior leagues, though four did recently represent the team at the 2013 Subway Super Series. The group runs the gamut from big stay-at-home defensemen to feisty two-way scrappers, to small goal scorers. The eclectic bunch may not have any budding superstars among them, but they do have the Dale Tallon trademark traits of solid work ethic and hockey smarts.

OHL

Joshua Brown, D, Oshawa Generals
Acquired: 6th round (152nd overall) in 2013

Joshua Brown's contributions to the Oshawa Generals are not counted in goals and assists. The Generals named Brown their team captain prior to the start of the season and the giant defender carries the title well, leading the team through his intensity on the ice.… read more

More...

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
I really think both Weegar and Brown could end up being a 5th or 6th NHL defenseman someday which, given their draft position, is outstanding.

Same goes for Clapperton, I could definitley see him as a 4th line agitator/energy guy. Kind of like Andrew Shaw in Chicago.

Few years away for all of them, but still fun to keep an eye on.

Thanks for the piece!

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Clapperton while small is pretty beefy at 187 lbs. like his energy/ pest/ agitator role. Maybe even a Marchand like player in the future.

I like this group a lot of them are boom/bust guys and seem to be playing well above their draft "pedigree"

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Brown looked awesome in the Subway Series. He was very solid in his own end, kept the play in front of him, was making a lot of good decisions, was playing strong and aggressive, and made a couple nice plays in the offensive zone. I was loving it.

luby3131

Jan 8, 2011
Parkland, FL
Brown has been good in the OHL this year wearing the C for Oshawa. Big shut down type of guy, was a good find in the 6th. Wouldn't shock me if he plays on the bottom pairing in the NHL one day.

I've been a big fan of Weegar since I noticed him while watching Halifax last year. Loved the move to grab him in the 7th. He's still a bit of river boat gambler, but he's the type of guy that could be a power play QB if he develops correctly. Lots of potential there.

Don't understand what all the excitement about Clapperton is about. Yes, he's putting up big numbers, but it's as a 19 year old in the Q. He'd really have to embrace an agitator/bottom 6 role to have a chance. We'll see how he develops.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Clapperton likes to buzz around, crash and bang. His skill level is better than decent, so I'd say he could be a 4th-agitator in the NHL someday. But, he's got a long road ahead of him. I'm more excited to see how Rau and Grimaldi transition to the pro game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad