Florida Panthers 2019 HFNHL Entry Draft Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
This was/is a huge draft for the Panthers as the team goes through a re-tool process after missing the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

1st round: 7th OV - Trevor Zegras
While not always smart to draft based solely on need, one of the things that I set out to grab in this draft is a future top 6 center. This has truthfully been a weakness in Florida since Mike Richards went off the deep end, with stop gaps galore. But Zegras is a terrific playmaker and the type of guy who projects as a well rounded SIM player. He immediately jumps near the top of Florida's prospect list. The team felt the need to jump up one spot from 8th to 7th to make sure that they got their man.

1st round: 19th OV - Moritz Seider
GM Brock Otten is proud of his German heritage and what better way to celebrate than to select one of the best German prospects of this millenium. Seider has been a huge draft riser in recent months. He's the complete package who is just starting to find his stride offensively. Looks like a future top 4 defender and is another guy that Florida traded up to select.

2nd round: 38th OV - Nick Robertson
Truthfully, not necessarily someone that I entered the draft with my eyes on. But I know his game very well and few players in this draft possess the offensive potential that Robertson does. Thus, by trading down a bit from the 3rd first, I decided to really shoot for the stars in terms of upside. Long term play here.

2nd round: 53rd OV - Nikita Alexandrov

Really enjoyed watching Alexandrov in the few QMJHL games that I caught of him televised this year. Plays with a lot of heart and a lot of energy. Charlottetown wasn't terrific this year so I think that held his numbers down a bit. Really happy to grab him here.

3rd round: 80th OV - Aliaksei Protas
Humongous forward who played with Prince Albert this year. Trended up in the second half, including a terrific playoff performance where he nearly led the WHL in postseason goals. Protas is definitely raw and his skating will need work, but he possesses a lot of potential as he grows into his body and continues to adjust to the North American game.

3rd round: 86th OV - Trey Fix Wolansky
A little ball of energy who was among the WHL's leading scorers this year. I thought about waiting until the 4th round to grab him, but why risk waiting and not end up with someone you really wanted to grab. I've had some luck rolling the dice on smaller players in recent years and I think Fix-Wolansky has the necessary skill set to overcome it.

3rd round: 89th OV - Marshall Warren
Again, not necessarily someone I came into the draft targeting. But I felt like he presented the best value in this range. I expected him to be drafted much earlier as he's a second round player on a lot of scouting agency rankings. I thought he showed a lot of potential offensively at the U18's and is a player with some upside who I can be patient with as he attends Boston College (with fellow Panthers pick Jack McBain).

The Panthers will continue to add players in the list portion of the draft, rounds 4-7. This includes the 94th and 96th overall picks and 18 in total from that point on.

Review to be continued with those picks.

Reactions: Fan.At

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
I really like your first rounders. As I discussed with you had I kept the 5th overall pick with the way thing played out I would have picked Zegras 5th overall. Instead I pulled the trigger on a trade with Alvaro because I didn't think Byram or Turcotte would get to me.

I was really hoping the one of Knight or Seider would slip to me at 24th overall, however I never really thought they would. I think there is a chance Seider goes top 15 in the NHL draft.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
This was/is a huge draft for the Panthers as the team goes through a re-tool process after missing the playoffs for the first time in over a decade.

1st round: 7th OV - Trevor Zegras
While not always smart to draft based solely on need, one of the things that I set out to grab in this draft is a future top 6 center. This has truthfully been a weakness in Florida since Mike Richards went off the deep end, with stop gaps galore. But Zegras is a terrific playmaker and the type of guy who projects as a well rounded SIM player. He immediately jumps near the top of Florida's prospect list. The team felt the need to jump up one spot from 8th to 7th to make sure that they got their man.

1st round: 19th OV - Moritz Seider
GM Brock Otten is proud of his German heritage and what better way to celebrate than to select one of the best German prospects of this millenium. Seider has been a huge draft riser in recent months. He's the complete package who is just starting to find his stride offensively. Looks like a future top 4 defender and is another guy that Florida traded up to select.

2nd round: 38th OV - Nick Robertson
Truthfully, not necessarily someone that I entered the draft with my eyes on. But I know his game very well and few players in this draft possess the offensive potential that Robertson does. Thus, by trading down a bit from the 3rd first, I decided to really shoot for the stars in terms of upside. Long term play here.

2nd round: 53rd OV - Nikita Alexandrov

Really enjoyed watching Alexandrov in the few QMJHL games that I caught of him televised this year. Plays with a lot of heart and a lot of energy. Charlottetown wasn't terrific this year so I think that held his numbers down a bit. Really happy to grab him here.

3rd round: 80th OV - Aliaksei Protas
Humongous forward who played with Prince Albert this year. Trended up in the second half, including a terrific playoff performance where he nearly led the WHL in postseason goals. Protas is definitely raw and his skating will need work, but he possesses a lot of potential as he grows into his body and continues to adjust to the North American game.

3rd round: 86th OV - Trey Fix Wolansky
A little ball of energy who was among the WHL's leading scorers this year. I thought about waiting until the 4th round to grab him, but why risk waiting and not end up with someone you really wanted to grab. I've had some luck rolling the dice on smaller players in recent years and I think Fix-Wolansky has the necessary skill set to overcome it.

3rd round: 89th OV - Marshall Warren
Again, not necessarily someone I came into the draft targeting. But I felt like he presented the best value in this range. I expected him to be drafted much earlier as he's a second round player on a lot of scouting agency rankings. I thought he showed a lot of potential offensively at the U18's and is a player with some upside who I can be patient with as he attends Boston College (with fellow Panthers pick Jack McBain).

The Panthers will continue to add players in the list portion of the draft, rounds 4-7. This includes the 94th and 96th overall picks and 18 in total from that point on.

Review to be continued with those picks.

Always impressive selections and review.

Are you saying you have 18!!! More picks in this draft???

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Alright, get ready for a novel.

The Panthers second day selections...

4th Round: 94th OV - John Farinacci
Talented center who I almost took at the end of the 3rd round. Was impressed with his play at the Hlinka. I have had good luck with players who go to Harvard so I like the gamble.

4th Round: 96th OV - Ronnie Attard
'99 born defender who broke some offensive records in the USHL this year. But played a shutdown role for the U.S. at the World Junior A Challenge, where he was noted as one of the best players for the gold medal winning squad. Was a main target for me at this year's draft. The USHL player of the year is headed to Western Michigan next year.

4th Round: 118th OV - Mike Koster
Another main target of mine because I was really impressed with him at the Hlinka. Puck mover and PP QB who has some warts, but I see high potential. Headed to the U of Minnesota next year.

4th Round: 120th OV - Bryce Brodzinski
Another player headed to the U of Minnesota next year. Brodzinski is a 2000 born that went undrafted last year. But he was the Minnesota hockey player of the year this year and is the brother of Johnny and Michael (two NHL picks and pro players).

5th Round: 146th OV - Max Crozier
Another 2000 born who went undrafted last year, Crozier is a very intriguing defender because of his mobility. He was another big time target for me. Won the Clark Cup this year with Sioux Falls and is headed to Providence next year.

5th Round: 152nd OV - Justin Bergeron
And another 2000 born who had previously gone undrafted. Bergeron was one of the CHL's most improved players this year and was among the highest scoring defenders in the QMJHL this year in the regular season and playoffs with Rouyn Noranda.

5th Round: 154th OV - Josef Korenar
Was shocked to still grab him because I had known of how many GM's had tried to sign him this year and last offseason. After a strong first pro season in the NHL San Jose organization, he will sign a contract with Florida soon and be a depth player for now.

6th Round: 157th OV - Ilya Konovalov
KHL rookie of the year and a long term play here. Has emerged as one of the top young goaltenders in Russia. Not sure what his NHL plans are, but he definitely adds to my goaltending depth (which is already strong).

6th Round: 161st OV - Sasha Mutala
Don't mind taking the odd chance on guys like Mutala, who entered the year as a potential first round NHL pick and is now possibly a guy who goes undrafted. But I really liked him at the U17's last year and the Hlinka this summer. What happened this year in Tri-City, I don't know. But I'm banking on his long term projection.

6th Round: 162nd OV - Brett Stapley

One of the top freshmen in the NCAA this year after a very strong year at the University of Denver. An NHL Montreal draft pick who had not yet been taken in the HFNHL.

6th Round: 164th OV - Angus Crookshank
Another standout freshmen in the NCAA with New Hampshire, Crookshank is an NHL Ottawa draft pick who had not yet been taken in the HFNHL.

6th Round: 166th OV - Joe Carroll
A player that I am very familiar with, as he plays with the Soo in the OHL. Possesses a ton of potential and is a big home run pick. Consistency is a major issue but he has the tool box.

6th Round: 183rd OV - Tyler Tucker

One of the OHL's most improved players this year with Barrie, Tucker is a strong two-way defender who is also one of the OHL's most physical players. Drafted in the NHL by the St. Louis Blues.

6th Round: 185th OV - Cade Webber
Sometimes I like taking a chance on bigger defenders late in the draft in hopes that they fill out and develop well. Webber is that guy this year. Playing with Penticton next year in the BCHL before going to Boston U the year after. With so many picks, have to take a chance on guys who could be long term plays.

7th Round: 193rd OV - Nikola Pasic
High end offensive Swedish forward who is a bit of a home run pick. Truthfully, I expected him to go much earlier as he had been ranked in the 2nd and 3rd round on some scouting agency lists.

7th Round: 196th OV - Nicholas Abruzzese
Leading scorer of the USHL this year. '99 birth date, but I have had some good luck taking these types of undersized forwards over the years. Also, did I mention that I have good luck too with guys going to Harvard?

7th Round: 215th OV - Valeri Orekhov
A KHL regular already ('99 born) and a stand out with Kazakhstan at this year's U20's. This is another long term play on a defender who could make an impact down the line at some point.

7th Round: 216th OV - Martin Pospisil
Hard nosed forward who had a good offensive year in the USHL. Signed his NHL ELC with Calgary after being a draft pick of them. Will play in the AHL next year.

Reactions: albertascout

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
A few guys amongst this massive haul that were on my list. I really like the two goalie picks in Korenar and Konovalev. I was one of those teams that tried or inquired about Korenars eligibility to be signed. I had him him on a list of guys to add into my draft list and I just never did hoping he'd be a guy that slipped through to free agency. Konovalev who knows if he will ever come over, but he sure opened some eyes this past season in the KHL and was inside my top 10 for my day 2 list. Orekhov similar to Korenar though I did have him on my draft list just further down and at the end of the 7th round is probably one of the better gambles you could've taken.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
It came up in chat, but I believe you moneyballed us here, seeing that the rule changes meant you could stockpile an unlimited number of new prospects. There are certainly a few names I had on my shortlist - Attard, Bergeron and Konovalov - but your greater scouting exposure and shotgun approach means you’re bound to have unearthed a few gems late.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
NHL versus HFNHL Draft Results:

Zegras: (9) vs. (7) = -2
Seider: (6) vs. (19) = +13
Robertson: (53) vs. (38) = -15
Alexandrov: (62) vs. (53) = -9
Protas: (91) vs. (80) = -11

Fix-Wolansky: - previously NHL drafted
Warren: (166) vs. (89) = -77
Farinacci: (76) vs. (94) = +18
Attard: (72) vs. (96) = +24

Koster: (146) vs. (118) = -28
Brodzinski: (196) vs. (120) = -76

Crozier: (120) vs. (146) = +26
Bergeron: (Undrafted) vs. (152) = -infinity
Korenar: previously NHL signed
Konovalov: (85) vs. (157) = +72
Mutala: (140) vs. (161) = +21

Stapley: previously NHL drafted
Crookshank: previously NHL drafted
Carroll: (Undrafted) vs. (166) = -infinity
Tucker: previously NHL drafted
Webber: (99) vs. (185) = +86
Pasic: (189) vs. (193) = +4
Abruzzese: (124) vs. (196) = +72

Orekhov (Undrafted) vs. (215) - infinity
Pospisil: previously NHL drafted

Not bad. Out of all the players I drafted, only three didn't get drafted. Ended up with 2 top 10 picks and 9 players selected inside the top 100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad