Florida Panthers 2018 HFNHL Draft Recap

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
With the Panthers in the midst of a rebuild, this was a big draft for the team, with a fair amount of picks, even if none fell super early.

1st Round: 25 - K'Andre Miller
Admittedly not my first choice at this pick, but c'est la vie. Decided to gamble on a prospect with a very high ceiling. Miller has only been playing defense for a few years, but was IMO the best defender on the U.S. Development team this year. I'm also betting he goes to the WHL next year.

2nd Round: 39 - Liam Foudy
One of the draft's biggest risers in the second half. Foudy is perfectly suited to the way the NHL game is played now. I'm betting he's an NHL first rounder tonight.

2nd Round: 53 - Jacob Bernard-Docker
Haven't seen him play outside of clips, but I'll take my chances based on what I've read about him. Upside may not be as high, but could definitely be a Dante Fabbro type who can play a solid defensive role at the NHL level. Last time I drafted out of the Western Tier 2 leagues early, it turned out well (Cholowski).

2nd Round: 55 - Jack McBain
At this point in the draft, I think that McBain is a damn good pick-up. Big, rangy centerman who had a bit of a down year playing Tier 2, but he definitely has the potential to break out in a big way as he matures physically. Caught some Jr. A action this year and always left impressed by him.

2nd Round: 58 - Aidan Dudas
Little cannonball with amazing goal scoring potential. Size is an issue. But everything else is not IMO. Probably does not go this high in the NHL draft, but I believe in his long term potential.

3rd Round: 63 - Scott Perunovich
IMO, one of the draft's top powerplay QB options. Was terrific for the Americans at the World Juniors and I caught a few NCAA games where he was fantastic too. Was elated to get him here as he was one of my prime targets at this year's draft.

3rd Round: 74 - Joey Keane
Another one of my prime targets. Maybe took him earlier than I had to, but needed to make sure I secured his rights. This kid could be a top notch prospect at this point next year. Skating is fantastic. Moves the puck. One of the OHL's elite players in his own end.

3rd Round: 78 - Martin Fehervary
A safe pick here, but I like his potential to play in the NHL in some capacity. Probably a #4-5 stay at home guy, but maybe there's more upside than we think because he plays against men. Thought he was good internationally for Slovakia this year.

3rd Round: 86 - Tyler Weiss
Personal favourite of mine dating back to his OHL draft year out of midget. Think this guy possesses a ton of skill. But he's very physically immature. After a few years of college, he could be a big time offensive player IMO.

4th Round: 97 - Olof Lindbom
Don't really need more goaltending prospects, but have to take the BPA. Thought Lindbom was terrific at this year's Under 18's and looks like a potential NHL netminder.

4th Round: 102 - Tyler Madden
Haven't seen him play...but bloodlines man. Like everything I've read about him and was another guy I had targeted at this draft.

4th Round: 104 - Johnny Gruden
Good value at this point. Solid complimentary offensive player who might just be better than we think because he doesn't need to play with the puck.

4th Round: 115 - Alex Steeves
Another player that I have not seen play, but read a ton about. One of the USHL's top performers in the second half. Goal scoring center.

4th Round: 116 - Chase Wouters
Not a great year for WHL forwards, but I like Wouters. Thought he played well for Canada at the U18's in a limited role. Brings energy. Has some skill. Let's see how he develops.

4th Round: 122 - Pavel Gogolev
One of the OHL's best goal scorers 5 on 5. Needs to round out the rest of his game, but I think he has a chance to be a player down the line.

4th Round: 124 - Mitchell Hoelscher
Another personal favourite. Love this guy. Such a well rounded player at a young age. On a strong young team in Ottawa, I see him being a big time point producer down the line and the type of guy who really blossoms as a prospect.

6th Round: 162 - Marcus Bjork
This is just a pick based on digging the Euro goldmines. '97 born Swedish defender who was the Allsvenskan defenseman of the year at a young age. Rolling the dice here.

6th Round: 179 - Riley Damiani
Personal favourite. Plays with so much heart and hustle. Size is an issue. And I do wonder how much his offensive game can grow. But in the 6th round, he's worth a gamble. Reminds me of Jordy Bellerive at the same age, and he's worked out well for me (even if he didn't get drafted and had to sign).

7th Round: 191 - Fedor Gordeev
A way better prospect than people think. Buried in Flint. But this behemoth is going to be an NHL player IMO. 2nd half of the year, he was taking over games with his skating ability. I know analytics guys LOVE him and say he's one of the more underrated prospects around.

7th Round: 199 - Jeremy McKenna
Rolling the dice on a re-entry forward I really liked watching this year out of the QMJHL. One of the top '99 scorers in the Q this year and led the league in shots on goal.

7th Round: 210 - Samuel Harvey
Sure he's a '98 who still hasn't been drafted into the NHL. But this guy took huge steps forward this year and was one of the Q's top goalies. Can't argue with the stat-line. Taking a chance on another goalie prospect here.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
I almost took Fehervary in the 2nd round, but thought he'd make it to me in the 3rd. You took him 2 spots before my pick. I really believe he's going to make it to the NHL. You had so many picks, how is this not going to end up being a good draft.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I had Bjork pegged as my 7th rounder and like you, based purely on those stats in the Allsvenskan which really stood out.

Also was really high on Mitchell Hoelscher as a breakout candidate with a lot of untapped potential.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Looking at the NHL results. Some good early results. Some bad later ones with many players going undrafted.

K'Andre Miller (+3) (25 vs. 22)
Liam Foudy (+21) (39 vs. 18)
Jacob Bernard Docker (+27) (53 vs. 26)
Jack McBain (-8) (55 vs. 63)
Aidan Dudas (-55) (58 vs. 113)
Scott Perunovich (+18) (63 vs. 45)
Joey Keane (-14) (74 vs. 88)
Martin Fehervary (+32) (78 vs. 46)
Tyler Weiss (-23 ) (86 vs. 109)
Olof Lindbom (+58) (97 vs. 39)
Tyler Madden (+34) (102 vs. 68)
Johnny Gruden (+9) (104 vs. 95)
Alex Steeves (-Infinity) (115 vs. Undrafted)
Chase Wouters (-Infinity) (116 vs. Undrafted)
Pavel Gogolev (-Infinity) (122 vs. Undrafted)
Mitchell Hoelscher (-48) (124 vs. 172)
Marcus Bjork (-Infinity) (164 vs. Undrafted)
Riley Damiani (+42) (179 vs. 137)
Fedor Gordeev (+50) (191 vs. 141, 2017)
Jeremy McKenna (-Infinity) (199 vs. Undrafted)
Samuel Harvey (-Infinity) (210 vs. Undrafted)

At the end of the day, the undrafted guys hurt. But you also can't complain when you walk away with three NHL first round picks and five guys inside the top 50, even though you only had 2 picks in the top 50 of the HFNHL draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewFlames

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
No more picks for you. Very surprised all of Steeves, Wouters and Gogolev went undrafted, especially Steeves and Gogolev. With Wouters at least, that's consistent with the general aversion GMs had to whatever scraps were available out of the WHL this year. Also surprised that with all the undersized and over-agers who went, McKenna wasn't one of them.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
No more picks for you. Very surprised all of Steeves, Wouters and Gogolev went undrafted, especially Steeves and Gogolev. With Wouters at least, that's consistent with the general aversion GMs had to whatever scraps were available out of the WHL this year. Also surprised that with all the undersized and over-agers who went, McKenna wasn't one of them.

Jeez, people really hated the WHL players this year, at the high end as well. I've never it before, usually these combative or smaller forwards all start going off the board in the late 3rd and on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->