Florida Panthers 2011 HFNHL Draft Review

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The 2011 HFNHL Entry Draft is complete and the Florida Panthers have begun analyzing their haul.

Round #1 (15) - Defenseman Nathan Beaulieu
I'm really happy with this pick. I was targeting four guys with that pick (Scheifele, McNeill, Klefbom) and Beaulieu was 2nd behind Scheifele on my list. I've got a lot of great depth among defensive prospects, but I don't think I have that one bluechip guy back there. This gives me that (I hope).

Round #2 (37) - Goaltender John Gibson
With Jonathan Quick in net and looking like a potential franchise guy, the need for immediate goaltending help isn't pressing. But it's always good to have quality depth and Mike Murphy is really the only solid guy I've got now. Gibson impressed me at the Under 18's and looks like a pretty solid prospect.

Round #2 (46) - Defenseman Ryan Sproul
A ton of upside with this pick. Tall and lanky offensive defenseman who's raw but can skate and shoot the puck. Boom or bust pick who adds further to my defensive prospect depth.

Round #2 (51) - Forward Nikita Kucherov
I'm pretty sure this is the first Russian player I've ever taken in the live portion of the draft. High skill and upside, but the never ending concerns about all Russian prospects weigh in. As a Cup contending team, I think I need to be taking chances on guys like this (especially with a lot of first day picks).

Round #2 (54) - Forward Travis Ewanyk
I'm hoping he moves to center at some point, but he's a hard nosed physical forward who projects as a real solid two way guy. I'm hoping there is more offensive upside than what we've seen thus far. Another guy I liked at the Under 18's.

Round #4 (112) - Forward Seth Griffith
He's undersized, but he scored a lot of points for London this year and plays hard and at both ends of the ice. I'm not really sure what type of role he'll play in the NHL, but I think he's a solid pick in the middle rounds in the hopes that he finds a spot or develops a niche.

Round #5 (134) - Defenseman Josiah Didier
I've had a ton of success drafting USHL defenseman in the past few years, so I figured why not? Stats look great on paper, good size, physical. He's heading to Denver next year. Can he be another Matt Donovan for me?

Round #5 (139) - Forward Chase Balisy
A former highly touted forward coming out of the GTHL, Balisy kind of faded. But he put himself back on the map with a fantastic freshman season at Western Michigan. Could he have finally figured it out? A 1992, overager, but a guy I think has solid long term potential.

Round #6 (153) - Defenseman Kevin Tansey
I've heard good things about him being a sleeper to watch for. Put up solid numbers in the CJHL. Heading to Clarkson next year.

Round #6 (166) - Defenseman Eddie Wittchow
Honestly, don't know much about him other than what I've read about him being a good sized defenseman with skating ability and a lot of raw tools. He was a very high pick of the USHL this year and doesn't have a college commitment yet.

Round #6 (173) - Defenseman Matt Petgrave
I wanted Petgrave last year, but didn't end up putting him high enough on my list. Made sure he was up there this year after the season he had in Owen Sound. I think he's got a lot of potential and it appears Hockey Canada agrees with me after putting him on the Summer Camp roster.

Round #6 (175) - Defenseman David Shields
A St. Louis Blues draft pick in the NHL, Shields is a very solid and underrated prospect. He was voted one of the best defensive defenseman in the OHL this season and I think projects well as a stay at home guy. The Blues signed him so they must think highly of him too.

Round #7 (183) - Forward Dylan Wruck
Why not? Take the little guy with the solid offensive skills. Who knows how he develops, but I've had a lot of success with my Brandon Kozun pick, so why not roll the dice again on a little dude from the WHL?

Round #7 (205) - Forward Mitchell Theoret
A personal favourite of mine. Didn't see a ton of ice time this year in Niagara, but he's got potential as a bruiser with hands. Hoping he gets drafted into the NHL to give me some sort of vindication.

So there you have it, a team with a very strong pool of defense prospects takes 7 more. BPA all the way baby!

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Liking Balisy and Wittchow, but I must admit many of the names on your list are guys I didn't get to in my (cursory) scouting. More interested in the numbers of OHL guys you *didn't* appear to have very high on your list, based on where they went to other teams.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Liking Balisy and Wittchow, but I must admit many of the names on your list are guys I didn't get to in my (cursory) scouting. More interested in the numbers of OHL guys you *didn't* appear to have very high on your list, based on where they went to other teams.

Truthfully, I'm not that enamored with the crop of mid round talent the OHL has to offer this year. A lot of the guys I would have been highly interested in went later in the live draft (like Pedan).

The two OHL guys I really wanted in rounds 4-7 were Joe Cramarossa (I was trying to acquire another 3rd on draft day to get him) and Matt Mahalak. Both I missed out on, unfortunately.

Barclay Goodrow and Keevin Cutting were two other guys I had interest in, but just didn't get far enough down my list to them.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Here's how things broke down on NHL draft day for the HFNHL Panther picks.

Round #1 (15) - Defenseman Nathan Beaulieu
NHL = #17 (-2)

Round #2 (37) - Goaltender John Gibson
NHL = #39 (-2)

Round #2 (46) - Defenseman Ryan Sproul
NHL = #55 (-9)

Round #2 (51) - Forward Nikita Kucherov
NHL = #58 (-7)

Round #2 (54) - Forward Travis Ewanyk
NHL = #74 (-20)

Round #4 (112) - Forward Seth Griffith
NHL = Undrafted (-infinity)

Round #5 (134) - Defenseman Josiah Didier
NHL = #97 (+37)

Round #5 (139) - Forward Chase Balisy
NHL = #170 (-31)

Round #6 (153) - Defenseman Kevin Tansey

Round #6 (166) - Defenseman Eddie Wittchow
NHL = #154 (+12)

Round #6 (173) - Defenseman Matt Petgrave

Round #6 (175) - Defenseman David Shields
NHL = #168 (2009) (+7)

Round #7 (183) - Forward Dylan Wruck

Round #7 (205) - Forward Mitchell Theoret
NHL = #185 (+20)

Happy that all of my first day picks went roughly around where NHL teams took them.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Not really a Brock Otten draft. WHen was the last time you used a first rounder on a Q player? I think Beaulieu and Sproul were good picks though. Upside's always good, and if they pan out they'll be very good sim players with size, offence and defence.

I'm surprised Griffith and Petgrave were undrafted. Particularly Petgrave. With all the over-agers being selected in recent years, and the fact he's on the Canada summer camp list, I figured he was a lock, and wondered if he could slide in to the 3rd round like TJ Tynan did. Mobile blueliners always have value. Frankly he's probably a good guy to hold onto in case he gets signed anyways.

At least you weren't completely out to lunch about Theoret. Maybe your pimping got him drafted though. The Isles scooped up Mike Remmerde from his blog (and from Red Line of course), maybe they're readers.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I love the Sproul pick, there's a lot of upside there. I always like those guys who are, for whatever reasons, CHL rookies in their draft years and get better with each game (Johansen, Scheifele, Sproul etc.). They don't have the benefit of a prior season to get used to the competition, and people sometimes forget that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad