Floor Hockey

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by ILflyersfan12, Jan 13, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. ILflyersfan12

ILflyersfan12 Registered User

hey guys, i have always been a hockey fan. i am wanting to start playing some floor hockey. it has been awhile sence i have played any sport, so i am out of shape. i have some upperbody strength and great strength in my legs. my question is what are some good excersies i can do to get in shape?

also for floor hockey, what all do i need? other than stick and gloves.

thanks guys, and sorry for dumb questions.

2. Khabby

Khabby Registered User

One of the main things for floor hockey is pretty decent cardio, floor hockey requires a pretty steady pace of running around the whole time, unlike ice where you can glide a bit to catch you breath at times before you take off again. Good strength in your upper body and legs are good for your shot, But usually in floor hockey your not laying people out. So I would say good cardio is probably your main priority.

As for equipment for Floor hockey, the main things are stick and gloves as you have mentioned. Some people I play with tend to wear some type of shin pad, Be it bulky ice hockey shin pads, slightly smaller ball hockey shin pads, or just some thin soccer shin pads (which wont hinder your running as much.)

3. ILflyersfan12

thanks alot. what are some good exercises to do to get into shape?

4. doobie604

doobie604 Registered User

play lots of floor hockey :laugh: or start running

5. GLG

GLG Registered User

Hey welcome aboard!

Being out of shape: Try to do some bike riding or even brisk walking to get the cardio going. Weights are also a good way to get some strength in your arms & chest by doing some bicep curls and bench press. For your legs, bike riding will help so will and doing some squats - check out this site for some other lower body exercises: http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ig/Lower-Body-Exercise-Photos/

I would suggest the following equipment (add Helmet if you're playing in a league)
    * Gloves
    * Shin Pads
    * Cup
    * Stick

6. ILflyersfan12

thanks alot guys, i am excited to death about getting ready to start playing.

what kind of gloves and sticks do you guys have?