"Flipping the Switch"

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
One of the more interesting topics I found coming into these playoffs was the idea that the Bruins would, or wouldn't, be able to "flip the switch" and start performing like they have, and like we all know they can.

Most found the idea ludicrous.

I ask you now, on the cusp of potentially completing something fairly magical - does it not appear as though they have "flipped the switch" and returned to the form they took in 2011?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
One of the more interesting topics I found coming into these playoffs was the idea that the Bruins would, or wouldn't, be able to "flip the switch" and start performing like they have, and like we all know they can.

Most found the idea ludicrous.

I ask you now, on the cusp of potentially completing something fairly magical - does it not appear as though they have "flipped the switch" and returned to the form they took in 2011?

I don`t think so Dan, I think that the 1st round woke this team up, they saw just how incredibly close they came to having their summer begin. And I also think it gave them tons of confidence moving forward to where they are now with the Pens as the Bruins were/are, by far, the biggest under dog team according to everyone I listen to but they seem to have taken that Leaf team as a great example of inferior talent being able to do damage.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
the Islanders and Oilers from the 80's could flip that switch; the later Celtics dynasty teams could

the 'switch' is really nothing more than behavior adjustments specifically three- discipline, focus, and desire/(wantability). Many brides 'flip the switch' when they are motivated for their weddings...new jobs....meeting someone special

the switch as relates to the Bruins specifically the Krejci line added importance and supplementing high end talent with increased focus and discipline. A fantastic mix that is why David Krejci and Nathan Horton can excel- the talent is always there but those behaviors 'come and go' with not just them but most folks

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I don't think they "flipped the switch" until they came back from 4-1 down to beat Toronto in game seven.

What I felt at the time, and I still feel this way, is that during the regular season, the Bruins never were able to overcome adversity, and because of that, they never had a unifying moment that brought them closer as a team.

I think the comeback against the Leafs was just such a moment. After that, they believed in themselves as a team, and knew that as a team, they could overcome anything. It sounds corny, but I think there is some truth to it.

After that win, they just continued to build the momentum, and right now they are playing at a ridiculously high level. But that wasn't the level they were playing at against Toronto. They had to find themselves and build from there, and they came within about ten minutes of finding themselves too late.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't think the switch flipping was intentional-I think they had the crap scared out of them in the first round and during that game 7 their mental focus came together as one. I believe much like the Ference flip in Montreal (that is when I think that series turned around and the Bruins never looked back) I think Looch was the catalyst for the game 7 win against the Leafs and so far at least they haven't looked back.

I don't think they were sleepwalking on purpose with at some point the intent to flip the switch-I think it took facing the reality of a loss to make them flip it.

Ference flipped the switch in 2011 and I think Looch flipped it in 2013. The real question is whether they can stay focused and on top of their game because if they let up they may not get that switch back on again.

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
Ference flipped the switch in 2011 and I think Looch flipped it in 2013. The real question is whether they can stay focused and on top of their game because if they let up they may not get that switch back on again.

Their resolve seemed to be galvanized in 2011 after Horton was lost for the series. Maybe the loss of Campbell this time around, although under different circumstances, will lead to the same result.

member 96824

I don`t think so Dan, I think that the 1st round woke this team up, they saw just how incredibly close they came to having their summer begin. And I also think it gave them tons of confidence moving forward to where they are now with the Pens as the Bruins were/are, by far, the biggest under dog team according to everyone I listen to but they seem to have taken that Leaf team as a great example of inferior talent being able to do damage.

Even more than just summer though, I think they realized that if they didn't get their heads out of their ***** in game 7, they wouldn't be together as a group anymore. I think I remember Lucic saying something to this affect and it's the complete truth.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Even more than just summer though, I think they realized that if they didn't get their heads out of their ***** in game 7, they wouldn't be together as a group anymore. I think I remember Lucic saying something to this affect and it's the complete truth.

He did, still don`t believe they flipped a switch, but I do believe they realized just how a 1st round exit at the hands of the Leafs would impact things moving forward.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I said in the first series prediction thread, that the FIRST round was the one I was worried about the most. If they could get through it, the team would start to look better and better as the playoffs progressed. But they had to get through that first round.

Thought that the team looked disorganized in the final third of the regular season as it faced changes. It needed to sort its **** out and it needed time to do so - but the playoffs came so quick.

I don't think it was a switch. I think they worked for it.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
Think the way the regular season schedule began slow and then accelerated into hyper-drive exhausted many of the players. Also, a few peaked too early or went to seed during the lockout and weren't served well by an abbreviated training camp.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
He did, still don`t believe they flipped a switch, but I do believe they realized just how a 1st round exit at the hands of the Leafs would impact things moving forward.

Perhaps - but that would be more a catalyst for the switch.

Regardless of catalyst, I don't think we can sit here and say the Bruins now are the Bruins of the regular season - and that makes me wonder a bit.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The thing that worries me is that we've seen them turn it on at times all season, finding their game, and we've seen them then lose their game and fall back into playing like an overly conservative club that plays not to lose. Hoping they can continue to ride out this latest wave to the promised land.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

I don't know, ODAAT. This team crawled into the playoffs. This city had been bombed. We took a huge punch in the gut. This city was begging for something to cheer for, anything, something. And, the B's couldn't find a way to beat even the Sabres. They didn't look like they could beat a well motivated high school team coming into the playoffs.

I know that's regular season, and believe me, I always wanted to be in a place where the reg season meant little. But, the division title and home ice were still on the line. Meanwhile, this team looked absolutely atrocious. Couldn't score, lines in disarray, couldn't defend, couldn't manage the puck. You'd of shocked me just saying we went up 3-1 against the leafs at that point, but they did.

Now you'd have a hard time convincing me they aren't the best team left in the playoffs. That's pretty drastic.

Andrew83

Dec 15, 2010
Boston
I think they first flipped the switch in Game 1 against Toronto but then had to do it again in Game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad