Flint Firebirds 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Excited for the season, but scratching my head why “10” Wednesday home games when the previous two hockey seasons we only had “4” each season? Now do not get me wrong, Wednesday hockey is better than no hockey, but this may be the Firebirds worst home schedule since their inception. In Flint’s over 50 years of hockey (minor pro and junior), Wednesday’s have always been a bad draw. However, 12 games against our arch-rival Saginaw is a positive. UPDATE: Two of those Wednesday’s should be decent draws November 24th (night before Thanksgiving vs Saginaw and December 29th also vs Saginaw during holiday break).

Be careful what you wish for….Saginaw is not a lay up….far from it….you might go 2-10 in those games

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Be careful what you wish for….Saginaw is not a lay up….far from it….you might go 2-10 in those games

Be careful what YOU wish for......OHL hockey is NOT a lay up.....far from it...how many times (two, thus far) has the OHL announced RETURN TO PLAY dates and as of today has not dropped the puck.....YOU might go 0-0 in those games with the way the Canadian government has put restrictions on RETURN TO PLAY with the OHL, especially if this Delta variant becomes a factor in the coming months in Canada where the OHL and David Branch could find itself once again "lying" to its fans. Remember, nothing in life except death and taxes are a certainty, not even OHL hockey.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Be careful what YOU wish for......OHL hockey is NOT a lay up.....far from it...how many times (two, thus far) has the OHL announced RETURN TO PLAY dates and as of today has not dropped the puck.....YOU might go 0-0 in those games with the way the Canadian government has put restrictions on RETURN TO PLAY with the OHL, especially if this Delta variant becomes a factor in the coming months in Canada where the OHL and David Branch could find itself once again "lying" to its fans. Remember, nothing in life except death and taxes are a certainty, not even OHL hockey.

US vaccination % will be the main factor in border crossing.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

I don't think he implied Saginaw being a lay up at all, more so its a bonus to have 12 games against a close rival. Fans of both sides will end up traveling a bit.

Reactions: dirty12

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
US vaccination % will be the main factor in border crossing.

US vaccination % was NOT the reason why even Canadian based OHL teams did not play each other.

The MAIN factor was that the Canadian government(s) placed restrictions on the OHL playing WITHIN Canada. The proof of that is that there hasn't been OHL hockey for 17 months and counting anywhere. The border won't re-opened until the Canadian government says so and NOT US vaccination %.

The proof in that is travel to/from the European Union is open, while travel to/from Canada is not even with the current US vaccination %.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Affected rate and lack of a vaccine was always the reason Canada was shut down. Monitoring of cases and 75% fully vaccinated will lead to fully re-opening.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
MJ5 you are correct. Saggy was wrong! We have close to a 50 year hockey history playing Saginaw (only 35 minutes from Flint). We are in the same media market sharing “3” television stations and numerous radio stations. This is a rivalry known all over. Some of our biggest crowds are against Saginaw. Saggy really missed this one. I would never ever imply that Saginaw was a pushover!

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Didn’t miss at all….starting some playful banter before season starts. I miss hockey too much

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Looks like they are making a major investment. Costs a lot of money to do that. Completely new iceplant?

Reactions: MJ5

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
The Billionaire who squabbled about the cost of transportation and installation of seats that his arena received for nothing thanks to the demolition of the Palace. A city financed McMorran Arena was far more deserving and thankful of the seats than Rolf.

An ice plant 50+ years old. Nilsen was told to replace what is the oldest ice plant in the OHL.

He is one of the wealthiest owners in the OHL who believes his $$$ deserve privilege.

Last edited by a moderator:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Congrats to Flint’s:

1). Brennan Othmann 16th overall to the New York Rangers.

2). Dmitri Kuzmin 82nd overall (3rd round) to the Winnipeg Jets.

Looking forward to seeing both of you play at the Dort Center this fall!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
UPDATE 8/02/21. I think we have an okay nucleus coming back or starting their careers in Flint:

Othmann
Kressler
Panwar
Hayes, Gavin
Giroux
Piercey
Hay, Ethan.”R”
Kuzmin
Terry
Burtuzzi. “R”
Petrou
Lombardi
D’Amato
Nixon
Deline
Grainer
Harper, etc

*Plus potential OA’s like (Morga,, Keppen, Cavallin, Gretz). Certainly holes to fill, but a decent start if we get a majority of these players to report.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
How about Flint's OA situation? Looks like we currently have 4 possibilities. Keppen, Morgan, Gretz and Cavellin. Pierce would be one as well but I don't think that is going to happen. Not enough production.

Who is the odd man out?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How about Flint's OA situation? Looks like we currently have 4 possibilities. Keppen, Morgan, Gretz and Cavellin. Pierce would be one as well but I don't think that is going to happen. Not enough production.

Who is the odd man out?

Is Kuzmin expected? Perhaps none until Deline, Harper, Bertucci, Petrovsky prove ready to shoulder a bigger load; or, until forced to pare OAs down to three.
Personally, I’d trade the OA that would provide the greatest return, though I think Gretz might be odd man out.

Last edited:

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
It is not the Canadian Government that is issue it is Ontario's health minister. People in Toronto don't get it and the trouble is multiple families in one house. There are many immigrant families with 8-10 wage earners in one house so they can pay the bills. Toronto real estate and rents are completely insane. A small house in Toronto and nothing fancy is a million dollars much like New York . I have friends that ride a train 60 miles to and from work. They end up leaving home at 5.00 am and don't get home until 8.00 pm because they cannot afford to live there. Insane !!!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is not the Canadian Government that is issue it is Ontario's health minister. People in Toronto don't get it and the trouble is multiple families in one house. There are many immigrant families with 8-10 wage earners in one house so they can pay the bills. Toronto real estate and rents are completely insane. A small house in Toronto and nothing fancy is a million dollars much like New York . I have friends that ride a train 60 miles to and from work. They end up leaving home at 5.00 am and don't get home until 8.00 pm because they cannot afford to live there. Insane !!!

What issue are you referring to? It can’t be covid. Fully vaccinated reaches 75% and cases are under control, the border will open to fully vaccinated visitors.
Mult-family homes is an Asian immigrant thing to do. Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, … have done this for a long time; in Toronto, Brampton, New Market. Mississauga, Oakville, Sudbury …
It’s an effective way to care for elders and gain wealth.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Who is the odd man out?
Based on talent, its easily Gretz.

Cavallin I'm really excited about, he was playing the best hockey of his career when everything shut down. He was really pushing Popovich for #1.

Reactions: OshawaFan2019

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Is Kuzmin expected? Perhaps none until Deline, Harper, Bertucci, Petrovsky prove ready to shoulder a bigger load; or, until forced to pare OAs down to three.
Personally, I’d trade the OA that would provide the greatest return, though I think Gretz might be odd man out.

I believe that Kuzmin committed last year at coming over.

Reactions: Toldyaso
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->