Flint Firebirds 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
kolyachonok is a signed player allowing Flint a pick.
This is potentially very good news. In the 1st round Flint has the overall 46th pick which is the 16th pick for OHL teams.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There are words for adults who make petty remarks to a 16 year old kid over making a very reasonable choice, I'll leave it that.
Pay him no attention. He’s not worth even acknowledging. Flint may not be Aaron’s best option this year anyway. Hopefully the club can convince him it’s his best option going forward following the season. We’d love to have him.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
That's always a good sign. Hopefully world gets better and he can play over here for a good year or two and help Flint continue to build a strong culture. So i take it Koly doesnt count as an Import since he is signed to an NHL contract (drafted out of OHL), and Okenstyuk is our other Import?

I see Sagnasty took Wings prospect Albin Grewe with their second round pick. Heard that kid can be a best and is Marchand lite type player. Will make the rivalry more fun if that's the case.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Because Koly signed, you are allowed to protect him while making another selection. However, the 2 import rule remains. If Koly doesn't stick in the NHL and the other two also report, you will have a decision to make as you can't carry all 3 on your roster.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Because Koly signed, you are allowed to protect him while making another selection. However, the 2 import rule remains. If Koly doesn't stick in the NHL and the other two also report, you will have a decision to make as you can't carry all 3 on your roster.
It's the exact same situation that London was in when Chicago's return of Boqvist to London made Koly available to Flint.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The Firebirds have 7 presumed "D" coming back from last years roster and have added:

1) D'amato--5th round pick
2) Kuzmin--Import Draft
3) Terry--Trade with Guelph

This currently gives us 10 (Deline, Koly, Busby, Lalonde, McCourt, Gretz, and Harper). Could this mean we we only keep 1 OA "D" plus OA's Wismer and Roberts? Just wondering about it and missing hockey.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Well you can only keep one of the Import D as you have an Import Fwd already on team. You would have to lose at least 1 2000, most likely Lalonde if Busby doesnt sign. So in reality you have 8 dmen if you keep 2 OAs on back end. Now if you keep 2 OAs up front like Wismer and Roberts, then you will have to get rid of Busby or McCourt.

Do we know if Gretz is 100% and he will be full time reg on blue line?

Wow, we went from 10 dmen to 6 in a flash. :popcorn:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
You said basically what I said, except for your question about Gretz. Not sure about him, but think we would survive if he went elsewhere.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Sell. Move the OA‘s and 19yo’s and prepare for another REAL two year run. I’ll wait. I don’t want to see a title in a socially distanced arena much anyway.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Sell. Move the OA‘s and 19yo’s and prepare for another REAL two year run. I’ll wait. I don’t want to see a title in a socially distanced arena much anyway.
Problem with that is, I think you'll have trouble finding buyers until things are settled. Nobody is going to be looking to shed future assets for current one right now.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Problem with that is, I think you'll have trouble finding buyers until things are settled. Nobody is going to be looking to shed future assets for current one right now.
For sure. Everything is probably in a hold stage right now. If things resume in some form at some point though, I’d rather see them just bail as opposed to taking a half-azz run. There’s a lot of big time players left to move and this probably increases the chances Othmann is here as a 19yo. Let’s just build around the 16-17yo’s and have a real 2 year go at it. Like things were going to be until this March.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The trade with Guelph and the import pick makes more sense after the Koly decision. We may need one more solid defenseman depending who they may lose from Busby, Lalonde, and McCourt.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Canada not allowing Toronto Blue Jays to play their games in Canada. Makes me think its more likely no OHL season. Unless something changes. Unless i am wrong about why Toronto is playing home games in Buffalo NY.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Canada not allowing Toronto Blue Jays to play their games in Canada. Makes me think its more likely no OHL season. Unless something changes. Unless i am wrong about why Toronto is playing home games in Buffalo NY.

One of the biggest reasons for them denying the Blue Jays was the fact that you would have players traveling in from Florida (Marlins and Rays). There is no way an OHL season will start on time, but hopefully we still get at least a half a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->