Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
I notice that Flint has been allowing a ton of goals against lately. Is this a Popovich issue or team issue? Would they be in the market for goaltending?

It seems Flint is already in the market for scoring as they don’t have anyone close to being among the top scorers in the league this year. It looks like they could use some scoring.

If the Rangers decide to sell, perhaps an expanded deal could be worked out between the two teams.

To Flint:
OA C - Meireles
OA RW - Yantsis
G - Ingham

To Kitchener:
OA G - Popovich
OA F - Phibbs
‘02 F - Vierling
‘02 D - Power*
2nd ‘20 (Soo)
2nd ‘24 (Gue)
2nd ‘24
3rd ‘23
3rd ‘24
4th ‘23*
4th ‘24 (Miss)*
4th ‘24*

Conditions are that if Power reports to Kitchener over the course of his eligibility, the 4th rounders go back to Flint.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
C’mon man. I know YOU know better than that. I like Yantsis, Meireles and Ingham but giving up a 17yo 2nd overall, a 17yo high second rounder, a Chanpionship winning OA goalie AND 3 2nd rounders AND 2 3rd rounders for a pair of OA’s and possibly a mild goalie upgrade? I don’t even think Branch will go for anything close to that. Goaltending has been mostly fine. Cavallin has been solid and I think he’s been outplaying Popovich lately. Popovich has been a bit inconsistent recently but he did play a 3 in 4 this weekend, starting every game and playing every minute. They could definetly use a kid on the wing that could finish though. Dellandrea has looked mostly lethargic up until this weekend, then right before WJC camp decided to turn it on, scoring 6goals and adding 5 assists in 3 games. If he starts producing anything close to what he did this weekend upon his WJC return, it’ll solve a lot of scoring issues. They’re getting depth scoring and it really does look like a few kids just haven’t hit their stride yet this year. Durham, Keppen, Morgan and Wismer mostly. Oksentyuk will continue to improve I think as he adjusts to life in NA as will Othmann who is already producing a decent amount for a 16yo.

My bad. Looking at it from a distance going by nothing only your team’s goals against and Popovich’s stat line. I know he looked good early on but his stat line told me he may be faltering.

Thought an upgrade between the pipes and a couple elite OA scorers would have been welcomed. Didn’t think you’d mind parting with a player sitting at home rumoured to be awaiting a trade and a no-show NCAA commit. I was thinking maybe it would be doable from your end.

If you’re happy with Popovich, then that proposal is wiped out.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Would be highly upset if BB agreed to that trade. See no upside in it for Flint.
yup that is a pretty steep payout for 2 forwards for half a season and a goalie we don't need. That would be what is commonly referred to as getting fleeced. Just for the record Popovich save percentage is virtually identical to what it was when he backstopped the OHL champions last year. The problem if there really is one isn't between the pipes.

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Gogolev and Hillis for Othmann and Vierling. :naughty:

Seriously though, are Flint going to go all in in Dellandrea's final year?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
yup that is a pretty steep payout for 2 forwards for half a season and a goalie we don't need. That would be what is commonly referred to as getting fleeced. Just for the record Popovich save percentage is virtually identical to what it was when he backstopped the OHL champions last year. The problem if there really is one isn't between the pipes.

That’s how I led off that post. Asking if goaltending was an issue.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
That’s how I led off that post. Asking if goaltending was an issue.
took me all of thirty seconds to see how his stats compared this year an last. It's called doing your homework. Simply looking at the save percentages and his GAA for last year and this year and it becomes mathematically obvious that he is facing to many shots. The information is out there you just need to let it in before throwing out such a ridiculous trade proposal.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
took me all of thirty seconds to see how his stats compared this year an last. It's called doing your homework. Simply looking at the save percentages and his GAA for last year and this year and it becomes mathematically obvious that he is facing to many shots. The information is out there you just need to let it in before throwing out such a ridiculous trade proposal.
You guys are being a little harsh to a guy who's just trying to provoke some fun hypotheticals. If you don't like his proposal, put on your pretend GM hat and produce a counter offer. It is all in jest, you know. Have some fun with it.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
You guys are being a little harsh to a guy who's just trying to provoke some fun hypotheticals. If you don't like his proposal, put on your pretend GM hat and produce a counter offer. It is all in jest, you know. Have some fun with it.
No! I am sick of fans of other teams making fun of us and proposing these obviously intended to insult proposals. ;)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
No! I am sick of fans of other teams making fun of us and proposing these obviously intended to insult proposals. ;)

Not making fun. Just a hypothetical. Poppy won a league title last year, but that was more about the stacked team in front of him than his play.

You put that calibre team in front of him in Flint and you’re laughing.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Not making fun. Just a hypothetical. Poppy won a league title last year, but that was more about the stacked team in front of him than his play.

You put that calibre team in front of him in Flint and you’re laughing.
Let me direct your attention to my wink emote. I'm Funnin ya

Reactions: EvenSteven

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
My bad. Looking at it from a distance going by nothing only your team’s goals against and Popovich’s stat line. I know he looked good early on but his stat line told me he may be faltering.

Thought an upgrade between the pipes and a couple elite OA scorers would have been welcomed. Didn’t think you’d mind parting with a player sitting at home rumoured to be awaiting a trade and a no-show NCAA commit. I was thinking maybe it would be doable from your end.

If you’re happy with Popovich, then that proposal is wiped out.
I’ve seen your posts for years. I know you’re a reasonable, intelligent, knowledgeable guy. I just wasn’t impressed with that offer. Personally I wanna see them ride out this season and really go for it next year. Let Popovich, Dellandrea, Durham, Phibbs and 1 or maybe 2 of McCourt/Busby/Kolyachonok graduate. Everybody else returns a year older and better. I don’t wanna see them do what Saginaw is doing or Erie. Saginaw didn’t add enough last year to accomplish anything of real substance, but they burned enough assets so they don’t have enough left to fix all their issues this year. Erie won a title but they burned enough assets that they’re now in year 3 of rebuilding, look likely to miss the playoffs again and are probably two years away from contending again. Flint screws this up, they could have zero titles and totally suck for 3-4 years after. Popovich has played really good to lights out 3-4-5-6 games in a row and then just throws in a weak performance every so often. I don’t care for that but he’s been good enough I’m not complaining at this point. I just think Cavallin has been slightly more consistent, played better, is 2 years younger and will return even better next year. Throw out his first two games this year, where he was returning from injury and the team just fell apart in front of him and his numbers creep a bit closer to Ingham’s. If Kitchener sells, moving Ingham to Sudbury, Windsor, Saginaw, etc seems more logical. Unfortunately I think Branch still goes for it this year and Yantsis or even Meireles might just be what the team needs to really put them in contention. I just don’t think they’ll be good enough adding one or two pieces unless MAYBE Dellandrea consistently performs like he did this weekend and Durham starts to regain his peak form from last year. If Ty comes back from WJC and plays like he did for the first 25 games they are sunk. Period. They won’t accomplish s**t and every piece they spend for just THIS year will be a waste.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
By the way, I know Vierling’s career numbers in the O don’t look impressive. If you watch him though, you can see his vision alone is elite. I could see him leading the league in assists some day. If some of his teammates this year could finish or were just half a second faster, he’d have another 10-15 assists. It was starting to come together for him and it’s dissapointing he’s not in Flint right now.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
What is the story on Vierling? Is he still with the team or gone home to await trade? Two big games coming up with Saginaw so will he be in the lineup?

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
No one knows the official status of Vierling. Just rumors and speculation of what is going on. Was told to talk to his agent if you really want to know. :laugh:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’ve seen your posts for years. I know you’re a reasonable, intelligent, knowledgeable guy. I just wasn’t impressed with that offer. Personally I wanna see them ride out this season and really go for it next year. Let Popovich, Dellandrea, Durham, Phibbs and 1 or maybe 2 of McCourt/Busby/Kolyachonok graduate. Everybody else returns a year older and better. I don’t wanna see them do what Saginaw is doing or Erie. Saginaw didn’t add enough last year to accomplish anything of real substance, but they burned enough assets so they don’t have enough left to fix all their issues this year. Erie won a title but they burned enough assets that they’re now in year 3 of rebuilding, look likely to miss the playoffs again and are probably two years away from contending again. Flint screws this up, they could have zero titles and totally suck for 3-4 years after. Popovich has played really good to lights out 3-4-5-6 games in a row and then just throws in a weak performance every so often. I don’t care for that but he’s been good enough I’m not complaining at this point. I just think Cavallin has been slightly more consistent, played better, is 2 years younger and will return even better next year. Throw out his first two games this year, where he was returning from injury and the team just fell apart in front of him and his numbers creep a bit closer to Ingham’s. If Kitchener sells, moving Ingham to Sudbury, Windsor, Saginaw, etc seems more logical. Unfortunately I think Branch still goes for it this year and Yantsis or even Meireles might just be what the team needs to really put them in contention. I just don’t think they’ll be good enough adding one or two pieces unless MAYBE Dellandrea consistently performs like he did this weekend and Durham starts to regain his peak form from last year. If Ty comes back from WJC and plays like he did for the first 25 games they are sunk. Period. They won’t accomplish s**t and every piece they spend for just THIS year will be a waste.

For a few picks (paid with Vierling trade) replace Phibbs with a high scoring OA to help Dellandrea and improve Flint a lot. One player can make a real difference throughout the line up. Some form of these 12 is a good forward group
Oksentyuk-Dellandrea-(Lodinia or Josling)
Keppen-Roberts-Durham
Othman-Morgan-Wismer
Giroux-Kressler-Pierce

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
For a few picks (paid with Vierling trade) replace Phibbs with a high scoring OA to help Dellandrea and improve Flint a lot. One player can make a real difference throughout the line up. Some form of these 12 is a good forward group
Oksentyuk-Dellandrea-(Lodinia or Josling)
Keppen-Roberts-Durham
Othman-Morgan-Wismer
Giroux-Kressler-Pierce
That would be my hope. Find a landing spot for Phibbs along the way too if they can. He deserves to finish the year out somewhere in the O if possible. We’ve seen how much of a difference throughout the Dcore Owen Lalonde made, it would be nice to replicate that for the forward group. Hopefully at less cost. I’m a big Lalonde fan, he’s made a big impact and he’s likely to be here next year but man was he expensive. In a round about way, he’s costing us Vierling right now too. With Power not reporting, Bianconi traded and Vierling MIA, they are thin at 2002’s. So when 2021-2022 rolls around, they’re not gonna have many OA’s and 19yo’s to recoup picks with at this rate. Kyle Harris apparently retiring from hockey sucked. Keeping Holmes while moving Uba and Winterton looks like a misstep too. Right now an off season Holmes trade for a 12th and Uba on the top two lines doesn’t sound bad.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That would be my hope. Find a landing spot for Phibbs along the way too if they can. He deserves to finish the year out somewhere in the O if possible. We’ve seen how much of a difference throughout the Dcore Owen Lalonde made, it would be nice to replicate that for the forward group. Hopefully at less cost. I’m a big Lalonde fan, he’s made a big impact and he’s likely to be here next year but man was he expensive. In a round about way, he’s costing us Vierling right now too. With Power not reporting, Bianconi traded and Vierling MIA, they are thin at 2002’s. So when 2021-2022 rolls around, they’re not gonna have many OA’s and 19yo’s to recoup picks with at this rate. Kyle Harris apparently retiring from hockey sucked. Keeping Holmes while moving Uba and Winterton looks like a misstep too. Right now an off season Holmes trade for a 12th and Uba on the top two lines doesn’t sound bad.

I like the Uba trade (him or Wismer). He, Durham, Wismer, Pierce at RW is/would definitely be the weak spot of the roster.
(I think) the firebirds are in good shape going forward. There has to be a re-tooling season, looks like 2021-22. It would be sweet if Power is NHL drafted high and plays in the OHL. Late birth though, it would be sweet if Power decided to play in the league in his draft season :)

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I don’t even wanna click the link. I was following the threads on it a bit last night. Don’t hang up the skates kid, and heal up quick. I wanna see the ovation when you start your next home game.
Reports are that the surgery went well and he should make a full recovery. There were reports that a London fan in attendance was heckling the trainers as they worked on him telling them to put a bandaid on it and get the game going. I hope that isn't true but if it is I hope the report that some fans beat the hell out of him is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->