Flint Firebirds 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well.............uhm.......at least Giroux is showing capable. If he wants to move to Michigan this late in the school year, I say find him a billet.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
1:57 left in the game, score is 6-5 Sudbury and Riley McCourt sells a high stick from David Levin. Flint goes on the PP with Popovich pulled. Please, please quit doing that so early Wellwood. It NEVER works for your boys. Like 10 seconds into the PP, Sudbury clears the puck down ice, McCourt skates back to get it and then peels off and pulls up like they were gonna call no touch icing. Wolves player taps into the EN after it bounces off the end boards. 7-5 Sudbury. To top it off, McCourt then loses a foot race to Byfield who out muscles him and puts another one in. Short handed or not, a solid game by Popovich, better decisions by Wellwood or McCourt and they’re coming outta that game with at least a point. They gotta quit having lapses and losing games they could win.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
1:57 left in the game, score is 6-5 Sudbury and Riley McCourt sells a high stick from David Levin. Flint goes on the PP with Popovich pulled. Please, please quit doing that so early Wellwood. It NEVER works for your boys. Like 10 seconds into the PP, Sudbury clears the puck down ice, McCourt skates back to get it and then peels off and pulls up like they were gonna call no touch icing. Wolves player taps into the EN after it bounces off the end boards. 7-5 Sudbury. To top it off, McCourt then loses a foot race to Byfield who out muscles him and puts another one in. Short handed or not, a solid game by Popovich, better decisions by Wellwood or McCourt and they’re coming outta that game with at least a point. They gotta quit having lapses and losing games they could win.
Well fair but the Firebirds only got back into the game because of several weak goals. The game is likely not close with a 60 minute performance by Weeks.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well fair but the Firebirds only got back into the game because of several weak goals. The game is likely not close with a 60 minute performance by Weeks.
I think Sudbury currently has a few flaws. Some or all of which I think will be addressed by the trade deadline. Number one being the goaltending. At which point they will be a much different team. Trust me, after all the crap the two franchises have taken over the years, there’s nothing I’d like to see more than a Sudbury-Flint OHL Final. Last night though, Flint was missing their best forward, Evgeniy Oksentyuk, probably their best all around D in Kolyachonok, Evan Vierling, Braeden Kressler, Marcus Gretz and Luke Cavallin who likely would have been the starter if not injured. As far as goalies go, nobody was confusing Popovich with Curtis Joseph last night. He let in a couple softies too. You could see Week’s confidence deteriorating last night and the team following suit a bit. With two minutes of PP and a 6 on 4 opportunity in front of them (I personally would have kept Popovich in net for close to the first half of that PP) I would have put money on Flint tying it up last night. OT with Byfield, Murray, Dellandrea, McCourt etc and it’s anybody’s game but I think they blew a prime opportunity to pick up at least one point. I mean, Hamilton put up 11 on you guys. I knew Flint had the ABILITY to get back in that game. I told my kid that when they were down 5-1. I know things will be a whole lot different if they see each other again this year and the Wolves have a new netminder. I hope it happens.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Well Ty was certainly looking more like The Ty Dellandrea that we were expecting this year on this road trip. 2 out of 3 on the road isn't bad considering how depleted they are at the moment.

Reactions: MJ5 and Gensdef

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Well Ty was certainly looking more like The Ty Dellandrea that we were expecting this year on this road trip. 2 out of 3 on the road isn't bad considering how depleted they are at the moment.
Completely agree. Plus Giroux more than held his own. Believe he had 1 goal, 2 assists and a plus 1 for the 3 games.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Completely agree. Plus Giroux more than held his own. Believe he had 1 goal, 2 assists and a plus 1 for the 3 games.
if only Giroux were a little bigger. Still he didn't look at all out of place out there. Great to see him get his first OHL goal to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gensdef

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Really impressive debut weekend for Giroux. I wasn’t sure if he was ready for full time OHL duty but it looks as though he may be. Ty....where you been kid? That was a monster weekend. I think he’s still got a little more in him but he had what? 6 goals and 5 assists in 3 games? If he starts doing THAT consistently, I may change my mind about going all in this year. It was impressive. Maybe the best weekend I’ve ever seen out of a Firebird. Let’s hope that was the preview to what he’s gonna look like coming out of the WJC. There’s a few others who I don’t think are quite firing on all cylinders just yet and if they can figure out something with Vierling they may be able to stay atop the West for more than a day at a time.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Great game today with the Firebirds playing three players short on their roster against North Bay, plus others.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Maybe he is dealing with something personal and needs time away for his family? These are young kids remember, who are choosing to "grow up" quickly as they move away and work on their craft. Who knows what may be going on with himself or his family.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
An Insider saying "Really no idea on this one"? I SUGGEST the "Insider" to get in contact with the player agent if he really wants to know the official status of Vierling.

He's been correct before.

You are 0 for your life time here.

I'll trust him on this one.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
An Insider saying "Really no idea on this one"? I SUGGEST the "Insider" to get in contact with the player agent if he really wants to know the official status of Vierling.
I don't believe his agent would say a thing about his current status. If he did Vierling should fire him. Some things are nobody's business and I expect this is one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad