Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
So now based on this trade we have no 4th or 5 round selections next year. We have multiple 2nd and 3rds.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well that's a bit underwhelming.
For sure. Probably not a bad idea though. I think Cavallin is ready to be the starter and handle the bulk of the workload this year and be successful. You never know with goalies though and Vella is a pretty good insurance policy. There's probably a starter battle in net to start the season. I wonder how they play things with Morrison and Pitre now. Pitre was highly touted coming into the OHL draft.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Vella would have taken over the starter position last year based on performance. With it being Ingham's draft year there was a obligation to stick with him as he will be around for a couple more years likely.

Vella may not be a big name but he was steady last year and at times solid.

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Vella would have taken over the starter position last year based on performance. With it being Ingham's draft year there was a obligation to stick with him as he will be around for a couple more years likely.

Vella may not be a big name but he was steady last year and at times solid.
I would expect a repeat of that with Vella and Cavallin. As a side note, did the league actually change the rules so that OA goalies don't count against the 3 OA rule or was the only actual rule change the one regarding import goalies? I can't remember.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Happy with the deal. If this team is going to be as good as we think next season a 5th rd pick probably wouldnt even make the team any time soon.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Joel Farabee with 2 goals in a 7-5 USA White win over Canada Red in the Summer Showcase. Michael Dipietro was chased from the net in the 2nd.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I would expect a repeat of that with Vella and Cavallin. As a side note, did the league actually change the rules so that OA goalies don't count against the 3 OA rule or was the only actual rule change the one regarding import goalies? I can't remember.

Not sure either, I looked couldn't find anything saying for sure.

So I bumped an old thread........ https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/changes-coming-to-the-chl-next-year.2450759/ See if anyone replies to it.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...did the league actually change the rules so that OA goalies don't count against the 3 OA rule...? I can't remember.
I want to say I recall it being something like, a team can roster 4 OAs as long as one is a goalie, but you can still only dress a maximum of 3 OAs each night...maybe???

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Goalie counts towards the 3, this has not changed at all. This year the allowed goalies in the CHL Import draft.
Ok. There was some discussion about that being a possible rule change in another thread. Couldn't remember if it was actually inacted.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The payoff doesn’t live up to the tease, does it???
Not really but Vella is a solid veteran goaltender who has improved each year he's been in the league. So it really does solidify the net for Flint despite it not being that flashy of a move. It ain't exciting but it is reassuring....and cheap.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Not really but Vella is a solid veteran goaltender who has improved each year he's been in the league. So it really does solidify the net for Flint despite it not being that flashy of a move. It ain't exciting but it is a reassuring....and cheap.
Agree on all points about Vella. Just think that the kind of tease the team gave us all should be saved for when you've just acquired Mitch Marner or Robert Thomas.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Agree on all points about Vella. Just think that the kind of tease the team gave us all should be saved for when you've just acquired Mitch Marner or Robert Thomas.
True. Maybe Jeremy Torrey is in charge of media relations too and hasn't quite got the hang of it yet?

Reactions: Bra Wavers

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Went up to the arena for Dort Federal Member day..wow what a cluster..was better at Trillium...new pocket schedule had Dellandrea on it

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Cluster how?
I stood in line for 2 hours..line started at the back of the building..they need to make it for card members to come in and get the mail vie tickets/hockey vouchers and have a different day for all the kid stuff. Majority of my Wait was outside in that muggy heat..last 2 years when they’ve held it at Trillium I’ve waited 20 minutes max...mypatents wanted to go get theirs but weren’t going to wait on that crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->