Flint. 3rd
Hamilton 3rd
(Three 5th rd. picks))

Flint. 1st
Flint. 2nd
Niagara. 2nd
Flint. 3rd
Kitchener. 3rd
Where did Sudbury's third come from? Was it an older deal with the pick traded farther ahead?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Where did Sudbury's third come from? Was it an older deal with the pick traded farther ahead?
The Sudbury 3rd was owned by Hamilton. On 11/25/17 that pick, Connor Roberts, and others were sent to Flint for Hamilton receiving Camaano and Ryan Moore from Flint.

Reactions: hockeynorth

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
The big thing now is what they do with these picks. Lots of first round picks now on the roster both our own and other teams. Need to start seeing the improvement and being able to pull top talent to Flint.

Reactions: Savard18

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
We need something to talk about....

We need defense.
We have an open OA spot.
We seem to have an open trade pipeline with Hamilton.
Hamilton should be in full-blown rebuild mode.
Ben Gleason is a defenseman.
Ben Gleason is going into his OA year.
Ben Gleason is a local kid.

Let's get Ben Gleason in a Firebirds uniform for his OA year.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
We need something to talk about....

We need defense.
We have an open OA spot.
We seem to have an open trade pipeline with Hamilton.
Hamilton should be in full-blown rebuild mode.
Ben Gleason is a defenseman.
Ben Gleason is going into his OA year.
Ben Gleason is a local kid.

Let's get Ben Gleason in a Firebirds uniform for his OA year.
He's a kid I've wanted on the roster for a couple years now. With Nilsen and Alexandrov on the team though, I'm not sure they have a need for defenseman. They have a need for BETTER defenseman though and if Gordeev gets moved at the deadline, having Gleason on the roster would be nice. Gordeev, Gleason, McCourt, Busby would be a solid top 4 but that doesn't leave a lot ice time for Nilsen, Alexandrov and more importantly, the kids that need a little ice time to develop....Gretz, Bianconi, Pilon and anybody else. I know Pilon might be in the bubble, but I take him over Alexandrov and Nilsen (age being a factor there) and I'm just a bit hesitant to let that size and grit go on the backend. I want to see Owen Power put on a Firebird's jersey but I think it might be better for both sides if he's getting good ice time playing Jr in Ontario this year. Also, next year is Flint's go-for-it season, right? They've got a few picks in 2019. How do they play those? Use them and draft a bunch of kids who probably won't make the club or contribute a lot during the 19-20 season? Or should they take a different route? Have next year's 1st rounder as trade bait and use the rest to back up organizational depth or trade those picks now for talent that will be here this year and next?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
He's a kid I've wanted on the roster for a couple years now. With Nilsen and Alexandrov on the team though, I'm not sure they have a need for defenseman. They have a need for BETTER defenseman though and if Gordeev gets moved at the deadline, having Gleason on the roster would be nice. Gordeev, Gleason, McCourt, Busby would be a solid top 4 but that doesn't leave a lot ice time for Nilsen, Alexandrov and more importantly, the kids that need a little ice time to develop....Gretz, Bianconi, Pilon and anybody else. I know Pilon might be in the bubble, but I take him over Alexandrov and Nilsen (age being a factor there) and I'm just a bit hesitant to let that size and grit go on the backend. I want to see Owen Power put on a Firebird's jersey but I think it might be better for both sides if he's getting good ice time playing Jr in Ontario this year. Also, next year is Flint's go-for-it season, right? They've got a few picks in 2019. How do they play those? Use them and draft a bunch of kids who probably won't make the club or contribute a lot during the 19-20 season? Or should they take a different route? Have next year's 1st rounder as trade bait and use the rest to back up organizational depth or trade those picks now for talent that will be here this year and next?

I don't think you can trade first round picks. But the 2nd rounds down, I would be willing to move some of them for sure for established guys.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I don't think you can trade first round picks. But the 2nd rounds down, I would be willing to move some of them for sure for established guys.
It's the other way around. 1st's can be moved, not later picks......I think. They'll all have no trade clauses though because they'll be in HS. They'll have to convince kids to waive them. There's a few options but 2 2nd's and 4 3rds....some decisions gonna have to be made.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Sorry.....you're right. I meant if they move those picks AFTER they use them in next year's draft. If they choose that option.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Sorry.....you're right. I meant if they move those picks AFTER they use them in next year's draft. If they choose that option.

Yeah, you can't trade the actual pick. You can trade the player tho. That was the rumor last year in the deal with Hamilton that Roberts wouldn't waive his no trade clause to come to Flint, but was talked into it later.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Yeah, you can't trade the actual pick. You can trade the player tho. That was the rumor last year in the deal with Hamilton that Roberts wouldn't waive his no trade clause to come to Flint, but was talked into it later.
Right, so I wouldn't move ANY picks farther out than 2019 this upcoming year. Keep EVERYthing from 2020 onwards in the bank for next season when they'll need them. A 1st, 2 2nds and 4 3rds though in 2019? Having 7 high end(ish) 16yo's coming into the org next year makes little sense to me when you can only trade the 1st rounder and it's unlikely more than 2 or maaaaybe 3 actually make the 19-20 roster. I keep the 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd for next year. This year I don't spend big on a one year kid but I do try to add an OA. I dump all the rest plus a 2019 4th-15th or two into a kid that's gonna for sure be around in 2019-20. Or possibly do something like a 2019 3rd + whatever for a 2020,2021 2nd. There are other options too. Just wondering if there's something I'm overlooking and what you guys think.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but at the Canada National Under 17 -Development Camp, both Firebirds signees Evan Vierling (2G, 1A) and Michael Bianconi (1G, 2A) played excellent hockey. Bianconi led all defensemen in scoring. Great job by our Flint prospects!

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Two things:

1) Owen Power has given no indication that he will be reporting

2) I hope Joe Stefan will be given the title as Vice President with Terry Christensen’s departure. Besides Stefan, I am not feeling optimistic in Rolf’making the right decision.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Just wondering have you heard anything about Owen Power coming close to reporting??
There has been no word about Power even considering the OHL as an option at this point (someone please correct me if you've heard something different), and at this point, I don't think we'll see him in Flint for 2018-19 for sure. Flint does, however, seem to be gearing up for a deep playoff run in 2019-20, and that may change his plans for that season, and of course, any NHL team that would draft him may ask him to go the OHL route.

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Two things:

1) Owen Power has given no indication that he will be reporting

2) I hope Joe Stefan will be given the title as Vice President with Terry Christensen’s departure. Besides Stefan, I am not feeling optimistic in Rolf’making the right decision.
Jeremy Torrey has apparently assumed the duties of both Costa Papista and Terry Christensen. Torrey's previous position was as the arena manager for the Dort Event Center. I haven't heard of anyone taking over those duties, so I guess we're left to assume that Torrey now has all three jobs heaped upon his shoulders...???

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I wouldn't mind that if it was a direction Stefan wanted to go. I don't mind the organization being fronted by new faces but I think with Hakon being an OA and then Papista and Christensen both taking off, it points to something different. Possibly. There's still not many realistic viable options for a move next year but it sure would be good to see the team put up some W's and for fans to up the bodies in the building. Show some prospective owners this can easily be a profitable OHL location. I've heard talk of the dude that owns Diplomat lately but I have NO idea how much that is talk or whether there's actually substance behind it. Things look good for the on-ice product. I was happy to see the numbers for Vierling and Bianconi at the U17 camp. Small sample size but still good.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
There has been no word about Power even considering the OHL as an option at this point (someone please correct me if you've heard something different), and at this point, I don't think we'll see him in Flint for 2018-19 for sure. Flint does, however, seem to be gearing up for a deep playoff run in 2019-20, and that may change his plans for that season, and of course, any NHL team that would draft him may ask him to go the OHL route.
I wish Philly would realize the OHL is the better option for Farabee and push him to come here. 70+ games vs 40-45 just for a start.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Very worrisome about Flint’s future with both Costa (President) and Terry (General Manager) leaving. After this season and Rolf’s son playing his OA year, there is nothing keeping Rolf tied to this city except for his owning the Dort Event Center. The next 12 months shall be very interesting. I too have heard some rumblings about the owners of Diplomat Pharmacy having some interest.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
How the heck does one person give 100% to 3 positions if indeed that is true?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
How the heck does one person give 100% to 3 positions if indeed that is true?

You can't.

To me this looks like a cost cutting move, if you are only paying 1, instead of 3.......cutting that payroll.........wonder if anything else will be done half ass around there. If so, it doesn't look good for the future in Flint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad