Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Team should be exciting to watch next year as alot of these guys will have 1 year of growth and experience. I think i may have to figure out a good weekend to do a weekend where i hit up Sagnasty and Flint for some hockey next year.

Reactions: Gensdef

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
For real. I was thinking too....you know what would be perfect for that LW spot on the top line? An 18yo 6-3 power forward taken 3rd overall in the OHL draft. I've heard talk there's a chance he might return near the end of the season.

He has been practicing. Based on what I have seen.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Team should be exciting to watch next year as alot of these guys will have 1 year of growth and experience. I think i may have to figure out a good weekend to do a weekend where i hit up Sagnasty and Flint for some hockey next year.
I think you might be right. With what i have seen i have gone from not renewing my season tics, to probably renewing Defintely if Wellwood is back.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For real. I was thinking too....you know what would be perfect for that LW spot on the top line? An 18yo 6-3 power forward taken 3rd overall in the OHL draft. I've heard talk there's a chance he might return near the end of the season.
I haven’t been here as much lately. Who are we talking about please?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Well looking forward to seeing the birds Friday, they’ve got some good young players. What do you guys think about your big northern roadie? North Bay is ripe for the picking but may play desperate as they need to pick it up.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well looking forward to seeing the birds Friday, they’ve got some good young players. What do you guys think about your big northern roadie? North Bay is ripe for the picking but may play desperate as they need to pick it up.
Wish I could have followed them up there. It's one of the road trips I really wanna do. Just circumstances or possible/definite weather has held me back. Like this week's mess. I think they're capable of winning all 3 but their road record isn't great, North Bay always gives them trouble and Sudbury will have UPL for the rematch which just might change things up. Realistically I won't complain if they can pick up 2pts but I think they can pick up 4 vs NB and Lucas Chiodo-less Barrie. Just no OT losses! I don't want to see them catch and pass Kingston by losing games in OT.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Wish I could have followed them up there. It's one of the road trips I really wanna do. Just circumstances or possible/definite weather has held me back. Like this week's mess. I think they're capable of winning all 3 but their road record isn't great, North Bay always gives them trouble and Sudbury will have UPL for the rematch which just might change things up. Realistically I won't complain if they can pick up 2pts but I think they can pick up 4 vs NB and Lucas Chiodo-less Barrie. Just no OT losses! I don't want to see them catch and pass Kingston by losing games in OT.
Would have been nice to have you up north, maybe next year. Oh and I would think UPL will change things just a little bit :) If only for the way they play in front of him, he doesn’t always have to steal games by any means. Plus they might remember the loss in Flint which was easily their worst game all season.
Wolves with an outstanding home record, nothing like the team you guys saw earlier. Should be pumped after a big win tonight in the Soo. All without Levin and key defenceman Stratis.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Skating or practicing? I'd heard he had started skating recently. Practicing would be even better.

He was on the ice, dress in practice gear and did shoot the puck at the net. Not sure about contact or if it was a 100% shot but it was something.

Reactions: dirty12

Fntfirebirdfan

Dec 16, 2018
The first line stopped producing when they moved Uba and put in Holmes. They need to put Uba back on the first line. He is more productive than Holmes and was more productive on the first line than he has been on the third.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The first line stopped producing when they moved Uba and put in Holmes. They need to put Uba back on the first line. He is more productive than Holmes and was more productive on the first line than he has been on the third.
It's clear the top line for this team right now is Cody Morgan's line. I'm over the Holmes experiment. He hasn't turned it around and now Dellandrea and Durham are suffering decreased production. +/- is often an overvalued stat. Holmes is -50. The next nearest player is -30. When you're -20 worse than anybody else on your team through 53 games, that's not just an aberration. Over the last 9 games Dellandrea 2g-5a-7pts -12, Holmes 1g-4a-5pts -11, Durham 1g-0a-1pt -12 (!!! Makes me wonder if he's playing through an injury), Morgan 3g-7a-10pts +7, Keppen 8g-5a-13pts Even, Wismer 6g-5a-11pts +4. Vierling has 4g-2a-6pts and is Even. Vierling has 1 less point, double the goals and is +12 better than Dellandrea over the last 9. Ty has had a penchant for some turnovers recently too. A few that just looked lazy but I could also say he seemed poised and calm with the puck....at least until it got stripped from him. The only thing from last nights game that really bugged me was lack of situational awareness. Brazeau's line had 3 odd man rushes on Hakon Nilsen. I don't need a coach or video room time to know if you stop the Brazeau line, you stand a good chance of beating NB. Yet 3 times a D got caught up Ice allowing them to break on Hakon. I might be mistaken but I think it was one each for McCourt, Busby and Koly. If the Brazeau's line is on the ice and Hakon is your partner, please play it safe. Forwards! The D might not listen and jump on an opportunity, so watch and be ready to cover. Hey, they made it to OT this time and killed the late penalty though. Time to move on, probably the toughest matchup of the weekend tonight. Definitely if UPL is in net.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Like to know how many games this year we have been with in a goal, tied or ahead. Then lost because of a bad 3rd period. Third period seems to be a problem for some reason. Short line up maybe. We have played short a lot. Defense has been short a lot.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Like to know how many games this year we have been with in a goal, tied or ahead. Then lost because of a bad 3rd period. Third period seems to be a problem for some reason. Short line up maybe. We have played short a lot. Defense has been short a lot.
Good day. I don’t mean to sound condescending but that’s very typical of a young rebuilding team. The Wolves were actually very competitive last year but just about set a record for one goal losses. The good news is the team is competitive but the old adage they need to “learn how to win” is true and should be evident for the birds going into next season. Everything from having the confidence to mount comebacks to holding on to leads late. It will come.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
Short line ups yes, but also certain players are being overplayed, especially in the third. I get it, the coaches want to win, but you can see those players becoming gassed by the full 60 minutes and the teams game unfortunately becomes ineffective.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Well, Sudbury just threw us a softie by not even dressing UPL tonight. That ups the boys chances by quite a fair margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad