Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Vierling and Holmes have also spent time on the left side of Dellandrea/Durham. I'm trying to think of which combo it was when Durham was really going, and I think he was the hottest when Holmes was there before, not Uba. I could be wrong.

I thought the line was good when Vierling was on it, also seemed to be the point Vierling turned the corner on his game. Uba was there for awhile and they were really good for a bit. I thought that line took a step back when Holmes joined it. Maybe my time line is a little off.

Going to try and cross reference twitter lines and box scores and see what I can come up with.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I thought the line was good when Vierling was on it, also seemed to be the point Vierling turned the corner on his game. Uba was there for awhile and they were really good for a bit. I thought that line took a step back when Holmes joined it. Maybe my time line is a little off.

Going to try and cross reference twitter lines and box scores and see what I can come up with.

Essentially, Dellandrea makes his line mates better.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Last 4 games
Ty 2 assist
Durham 0 points
Holmes 0 points

Last 6 games
Ty 1G 4A
Durham 1G
Holmes 1G 2A

Niagra game, twitter shows Ty/Durham/Uba together

6 games together
Ty 3G 11A
Durham 7G 4A
Uba 1G 5A

Jan 2nd shows Vierling with Ty and Jake. Could only find lines for 4 games, Firbirds twitter doesn't show anything prior to the middle of December
Ty 4A
Durham 3G 1A
Vierling 0 points

Reactions: Savard18

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I think Vierling started being more successful when he went to the 3rd line playing C. It’s almost like the vets didn’t have enough confidence in him yet. Uba is older, stronger, and more physical and can handle going up against the opponents top players playing on the 1st line. Vierling definitely is coming into his own being 3rd line C and becoming more confident. I think it’s was a smart move for this year. Let him get more confident and build strength over the summer and see what next year brings. I do have to agree the 1st line was more productive when Uba was on it. Don’t understand the reason for the change, unless they are trying to get ‘more’ out of Holmes?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think that's it. Optimally it would be great if the top line started producing with Holmes there. Wismer-Morgan-Keppen is clicking and should be kept together. While I'd prefer Uba on the top line, I also don't mind him with Vierling either. Vierling is improving and while he can finish, he's special distributing the puck and looks to do that first frequently. Uba is a finisher and clearly looks to shoot first. Watch Uba carrying the puck on 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's. He's shooting it. Which is fine, linemates need to drive the net looking for rebounds. Vierling is pass first and Uba is shoot, so I don't mind them being together. Uba offers a little protection for Vierling too. You'd think Dellandrea and Durham together should be able to produce with almost anybody. It just hasn't happened over the last few and they might need to switch it up again.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Quality of opponent may be a factor. The last 8 or so games have been against better teams than the several previous to that.

One of those games in the middle group Ty 5/Durham 4/Uba 3 point game vs Sarnia. So that boosted it a lot.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
One area that has to be addressed for next season is the other teams shots on goal. 50 plus shots a game is way to many. Makes it very hard on the goalies.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I guess that’s why Wellwood is taking it upon himself to focus on the D. Let’s just hope he stays next season.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I guess that’s why Wellwood is taking it upon himself to focus on the D. Let’s just hope he stays next season.

They (the OHL/Rolf Nilsen) needs to make a commit to Wellwood. He was offered a contract only till the end of this season. Others on here have commented and are right that Wellwood will have other offers to advance his career. This franchise needs to make some commitments for the future whether it be in Flint or some other place. Installing Wi-Fi will not improve the on ice product, establishing long term coaching stability will.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Question: If an OA signs a contract with an NHL team during the season does that automatically send him out of the OHL? Or can the NHL team keep with the OHL team for the remainder of the season?

Rumour of Felhaber signing with Dallas. Wonder if something could happen like this to Durham next year if he returns as an OA?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Question: If an OA signs a contract with an NHL team during the season does that automatically send him out of the OHL? Or can the NHL team keep with the OHL team for the remainder of the season?

Rumour of Felhaber signing with Dallas. Wonder if something could happen like this to Durham next year if he returns as an OA?
They stay with their junior team - once sent back to junior they cannot return back to a pro team until their junior team is done for the year.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

The normal practice is if an overage player signs with a NHL team mid season they complete the season and the playoffs with their OHL team. A number of years back some overage players returned for their overage year because they could not come to term with their NHL team, but were either traded to another NHL team and signed left their OHL teams for the pros or worked out the issues with the team that drafted them and signed and were sent to either the AHL or ECHL. This has not happened in years though.

HockeyForLife14

Aug 31, 2018
They (the OHL/Rolf Nilsen) needs to make a commit to Wellwood. He was offered a contract only till the end of this season. Others on here have commented and are right that Wellwood will have other offers to advance his career. This franchise needs to make some commitments for the future whether it be in Flint or some other place. Installing Wi-Fi will not improve the on ice product, establishing long term coaching stability will.

Wellwood has a contract for next season. He is the only hockey operations person to have a contract beyond this season.

How much less do you actually know??Get your facts straight before putting them on here

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Bus trip all the way to North Bay today...be safe, boys.
For real. I was thinking too....you know what would be perfect for that LW spot on the top line? An 18yo 6-3 power forward taken 3rd overall in the OHL draft. I've heard talk there's a chance he might return near the end of the season.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
....you know what would be perfect for that LW spot on the top line? An 18yo 6-3 power forward taken 3rd overall in the OHL draft. I've heard talk there's a chance he might return near the end of the season.
I've been hearing this for a while now, also. It's encouraging to know that he's been back in Flint for some time now. Heard that he just wants to be around the team even though he can't play right now, which is also encouraging. I'm not sure a late-season re-entry into the lineup when the team's fate is already decided is the best move for someone recovering from a bad injury, but he's got to determine that for himself. Might put a bright light on things going into next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I've been hearing this for a while now, also. It's encouraging to now that he's been back in Flint for some time now. Heard that he just wants to be around the team even though he can't play right now, which is also encouraging. I'm not sure a late-season re-entry into the lineup when the team's fate is already decided is the best move for someone recovering from a bad injury, but he's got to determine that for himself. Might put a bright light on things going into next season.
Exactly what I said when I was told. I'd rather see him return next year 100% if there's a chance he could get Busby'd. If he will be truly 100% late this year though, that's ok too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad