Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
They are teenagers and of course they will party. All hockey players have done this and will continue to do this. The thing is if you are going to do it, don't get caught
The remaining boys who respected the curfew stepped up and played a great game.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
They are teenagers and of course they will party. All hockey players have done this and will continue to do this. The thing is if you are going to do it, don't get caught
The remaining boys who respected the curfew stepped up and played a great game.

If you think only 3 players went to the party you are kidding yourself. More than likely most went and they are rotating nights sitting since they had to dress someone besides Hakon.

Fntfirebirdfan

Dec 16, 2018
If you think only 3 players went to the party you are kidding yourself. More than likely most went and they are rotating nights sitting since they had to dress someone besides Hakon.
I dont think it had to do with partying, more those players didnt get back at the time they were supposed it.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Sure not much of a milestone but with your win, you are not the worst team ever ( Leave that record for London). Hoping this will help turn this around starting with the new year. Just take it easy on Windsor.

Ed Hatfield

Sep 25, 2018
Yesterday's win was more remarkable in how they did it. Three goals in the first four minutes of the 3rd period!! No third period collapse this time. They started the game with four D and finished with one. Bangs was hobbled in the Ottawa game but was iced and still managed to dress. Mid way through the 3rd he limped to the bench and couldn't return. Koly and McCourt were tossed and that left Nilsen with help from Dellandrea on D. Great way to enter the break. This team has some talent and in my opinion have a better than average defense. Too bad the #1 overall rated draft pick is a defenceman. It's not where they need the help but you can't turn down a #1 when the #2 has already committed NCAA.

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
It's exactly where they need help is on D lol....have you seen the GA for this team?? lol
The only two strong & consistent D that are currently playing are #18 and #27.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If Shane Wright gets exceptional status, which it looks like he might, the top rated player will be a forward. So far, the most recent I've seen is Wright stating he'll report where ever drafted. A Sudbury poster posted the link to the interview a few pages back. If Gretz were healthy and IF Busby can ever return and stay healthy, I'd say the team's strength would be on D. Some of the GAA is on the goaltending, forwards and the coaching staff. I do realize that once Wellwood arrived, scoring hasn't been a huge problem though. What concerns me at this point is whether or not Kingston can stay ahead of the Firebirds in the standings until the end of the season.

Reactions: dirty12

Ed Hatfield

Sep 25, 2018
Savard18 is right. Example: Yesterday's goal against came off the rush where the forward was kept to the outside and the pass came from beside the net out to a D high in the slot. Where was the back-checking forward that should have covered that man? That is inexperience on behalf of the forwards who need to play in all three zones. The good news is that since Wellwood arrived there has been a steady improvement.
#27 .... too many turnovers coming out of his zone and in neutral ice. He is a talented player but shows periods where he can be selfish and hold the puck when he needs to dump/pass it off. I really like him and know he can do better. Perhaps he is trying to make up for the games he missed.
PP goals for and short handed goals against are almost equal. That has nothing to do with the D. That's coaching.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If Shane Wright gets exceptional status, which it looks like he might, the top rated player will be a forward. So far, the most recent I've seen is Wright stating he'll report where ever drafted. A Sudbury poster posted the link to the interview a few pages back. If Gretz were healthy and IF Busby can ever return and stay healthy, I'd say the team's strength would be on D. Some of the GAA is on the goaltending, forwards and the coaching staff. I do realize that once Wellwood arrived, scoring hasn't been a huge problem though. What concerns me at this point is whether or not Kingston can stay ahead of the Firebirds in the standings until the end of the season.

Last edited:

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
If Kingston was smart they’d tank the season for Wright and the kid lives in that neck of the woods so he’d probably prefer playing in Kingston. It’s closer to home when you leave at 15. But not so sure he’ll get the status

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
If Kingston was smart they’d tank the season for Wright and the kid lives in that neck of the woods so he’d probably prefer playing in Kingston. It’s closer to home when you leave at 15. But not so sure he’ll get the status

I think both Wright and Savoie (West) will get exceptional status.
Flint needs to ensure they stay in the basement so they can get Wright. If granted exceptional status, Wright will have no choice but to report.
Maybe then, just maybe they can build off that.

On a different note - Nice to see the PowerPlay finally coming together. 3 PP goals this past Sunday against Kingston. Findlay has been working hard with the boys to improve it and it is paying off. Now whoever is working on the penalty kill, please take notes.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
...What concerns me at this point is whether or not Kingston can stay ahead of the Firebirds in the standings until the end of the season.
Was looking at this, and I think it's very unlikely that Flint catches Kingston.

Kingston has won 10 games in the first half. Let's say they drop to only winning 6 of their remaining 34 games in the second half....Flint would have to win 12 of 33 to be one point in front of them. That's both a significant drop for Kingston AND a significant improvement for Flint. Not likely, I don't believe.

If Kingston matches the 10 wins they have in the first half, Flint would have to improve to nearly a .500 club for the second half (16 of 33).

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
How is Hakon Nilsen still on the team ?
Is this a question that really needs to be answered???

Truth be told, Nilsen has worked himself into a player good enough to be a 5-6 D-man in this league. The problem is that the team is handcuffed with the expectation that he be more than that.

That is also compounded by the likelihood that, over the past 3+ years, Flint GM/coaching has been made to pass on opportunities to improve the defense because it would have pushed Nilsen too far down the depth chart. Whether this has actually happened or not is a question that will likely never be answered, but I suspect it to be true.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
With no more games until after Christmas, it seems to be a good time to say this.

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone. Happy Holidays. Hope the boys enjoy the time off and with their families. Can't wait for the 2nd half.

hockjock

Oct 4, 2018
From all indication Hakon is a very hard working and dedicated hockey player. All of these kids make tremendous sacrifices to play hockey, Hakon is no exception. How are you still on this message board? Taking anonymous shots at kids is the sign of a low life moron.
I’ve always said the same thing. These kids do not have it easy. Can you imagine being 17 and having to worry about your “career”. Most 17 year olds are drinking, partying and out all night. When I hear “oh this kid sucks or this kid is a cancer or this boy has attitude” I stop and think of what they could be going through. None of us will ever know.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Was looking at this, and I think it's very unlikely that Flint catches Kingston.

Kingston has won 10 games in the first half. Let's say they drop to only winning 6 of their remaining 34 games in the second half....Flint would have to win 12 of 33 to be one point in front of them. That's both a significant drop for Kingston AND a significant improvement for Flint. Not likely, I don't believe.

If Kingston matches the 10 wins they have in the first half, Flint would have to improve to nearly a .500 club for the second half (16 of 33).
I think it's gonna be close and I won't be surprised to see a repeat of last year with Flint sliding into the number two draft spot at the end of the season. Wellwood is about 3 months behind the rest of the league in implementing his systems. That gap will continue to close as time goes on. What's the record under Wellwood? Like 4-13-2 or something? Flint could be getting Busby back. Vierling is starting to contribute. McCourt is back and starting to round into form. They might not sell much if any at all leading up to the deadline. Kingston just traded away D Jacob Paquette and their best player in Jason Robertson who had 23g in 24 games for Kingston. We've seen how they can play since they've made that trade and they might not be done. I also see probably 4 teams in the East loading up. I think them only picking up 6 or less wins is likely and Flint getting close to 12 W's POSSIBLE. They come outta the break against Erie who they should have beat once at home already, a DiPietro less Windsor who've they already beat at home. If they pick up 3 or 4 points there and Busby returns I think we could be seeing a much different second half.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Believe me, I hope you're both right.
IF they pull it off...IF...they'll need to learn how to finish games.
4-2 L vs London-down by 1 London scores an EN with 1:06 left
5-3 L vs North Bay-down by 1 Flint penalty and NB scores on PP with :41 left
6-5 OT L vs Sarnia
5-4 L vs Missy-tied up Flint penalty and Missy scores on PP with :45 left
5-2 L vs OS-down by 1 OS scores 2 EN's, one SH
8-5 L vs Sarnia-Flint blows early lead and Sarnia finishes with EN
6-5 OT L vs Erie-Otters score in dying seconds and W in OT
5-3 L vs Soo-Greyhounds take lead late and score EN PP with :06 left
4-1 L vs Erie-Otters score EN SH with 2:06 left
4-2 L vs Hamilton-Dogs take late lead and score the EN with :20 left

That's 10 games and 18 more points that were right there in the dying minutes within their grasp. I didn't even look at blown leads, some of which were earlier in the 3rd period. I believe Wellwood was in place for that first Sarnia game, so 8 of those are under his watch. If they finish even half of those, this group is roughly .500 under Wellwood. Hell, if they pick up W's in 5-6 of those instead of 10 L's and we're here wishfully posting about playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad