Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint (415,376 metro population) had better out drawn, small arena or not... North Bay (70,378 metro population), Peterborough (121,721 metro population) and Owen Sound (31,820 metro population).

flint michigan metro population - Google Search

north bay ontario metro population - Google Search

peterbourough metro population - Google Search

owen sound ontario metro population - Google Search
I see you conveniently left Missisauga out and their population of 761,000. Using your logic there is absolutely no reason they are not averaging 10,000 every year and leading the OHL in attendance and not London. Population isn't always indicative of attendance. Just ask Missisauga. There are other demographics you also conveniently leave out. How about economical demographics? Racial demographics? Familiarity of opponents? Ownership? Past history (in our case 40 plus years of minor pro hockey), closeness to major cities, universities, or entertainment? Etc. One shoe does not fit all 20 OHL franchises. Also, you say Flint has not taken to the OHL, I think Flint has done well with attendance despite consistent losing seasons in this our now 4th season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I see you conveniently left Missisauga out and their population of 761,000 Population isn't always indicative of attendance. Just ask Missisauga. There are other demographics you also conveniently leave out. How about economical demographics? Racial demographics? Familiarity of opponents? Ownership? Past history (in our case 40 plus years of minor pro hockey), closeness to major cities, universities, or entertainment? Etc. One shoe does not fit all 20 OHL franchises. Also, you say Flint has not taken to the OHL, I think Flint has done well with attendance despite consistent losing seasons in this our now 4th season.
Size of arena and amount of capacity filled are the only two that really matter. Hamilton and Ottawa are the other two along with Missy that I thought of. Flint would be killing it with junior hockey if at any point they had stability or competence at the helm.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Size of arena and amount of capacity filled are the only two that really matter. Hamilton and Ottawa are the other two along with Missy that I thought of. Flint would be killing it with junior hockey if at any point they had stability or competence at the helm.

pretty sure there has been four GMs and Stephan for the last four drafts, stability would be a good thing.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
League attendance on this site, shows Owen Sound average attendance to be just over 3000 per game, 200 more than Flint.
If Flint had half the competence at running a hockey club or on ice success OS has, they'd close that gap. One of the things I like best about the O is that there are highly populated areas with large modern arenas like London and smaller towns and arenas like OS that can also be successful as a franchise and a business model. It helps the OS road game expierience is one of the best (my personal favorite) in the league.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Wellwood era begins tomorrow. He has obtained his visa and will be behind the bench for the 3 in 3 this weekend beginning Friday in Sarnia.

Any one heard on the import D from London? Haven't heard anything in a few weeks. Are we still waiting on his visa as well?
.....just going through emails and got to the Firebirds Weekend Promotions email. The Pink-Out jersey in the email picture is something 8. There is no #8 on the team. No player that wears a number that ends in 8. Kolyachonok is listed as 18 on the OHL/Firebirds websites. Let's hope that's a good sign.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
.....just going through emails and got to the Firebirds Weekend Promotions email. The Pink-Out jersey in the email picture is something 8. There is no #8 on the team. No player that wears a number that ends in 8. Kolyachonok is listed as 18 on the OHL/Firebirds websites. Let's hope that's a good sign.
I wish they would also pink-out the ice. They have done that for years in Kalamazoo for Valentines Games and always sold out the KWings 5,100 seat arena.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Probably just used that for a photo, since they know it won't be used during the game. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But for real tho, I really wish this kid would play. Busby and McCourt are skating again. We are going to go from 5 to 8 dmen real quick.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Probably just used that for a photo, since they know it won't be used during the game. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But for real tho, I really wish this kid would play. Busby and McCourt are skating again. We are going to go from 5 to 8 dmen real quick.
If Busby's skating, will he make an appearance this weekend? There's the Soo next Wed if not. I mean it's a foot injury. If he's skating....

AnotherDimwit

Sep 13, 2007
Grand Blanc, MI
I personally do not feel that Flint has embraced the OHL and junior hockey, attendance has proved that by finishing near the bottom of overall OHL league attendance since the Firebirds have been in town.

I don't really think that's a fair assessment at all. They've had 3 bad teams and one ok team that was a 7 seed. Attendance always improves with success and Flint hasn't had any. The only consistency Flint has had is drama and upheaval. If anything I would argue ~3,000 a night is pretty strong considering the bs that has gone on throughout their existence. London wasn't anything special at the Garden/Ice House and until they got the Hunters. Ownership matters. Intelligent leadership in management matters. As others have stated, give this team some constancy with a GM that maybe isn't the Hakon Nilsen of the business office. A good coach and a owner that cares, but doesn't interfere just to have his son play. If Rolf can do that with his son gone fine, I just hope Flint gets the shot with a strong OHL contender because I think the fans have done well considering all the failures they've had to endure with this franchise.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I personally do not feel that Flint has embraced the OHL and junior hockey

That's pretty harsh and also displays an extreme lack of connection with Flint. If you were from the area which you clearly are not you would know that is not at all the case. Speaking from the viewpoint of a 4 year season ticket holder I can say that the Flint area has embraced the team. Attendance deficiencies are purely a by product of ownership and league mismanagement. Last year in a season where there was a perceived race to the bottom in the second half the arena was not empty. It wasn't full but it was not empty either. Even with this horrendous start attendance isn't actually looking to awful much worse than the same time frame last year. A couple wins would do wonders. Trying to lay some responsibility at the community's door is ridiculous. The Flint area has been all in and as supportive as anyone of this team and these young men. You sir owe the people of Genessee county an apology.

Reactions: icuwoot

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
That's pretty harsh and also displays an extreme lack of connection with Flint. If you were from the area which you clearly are not you would know that is not at all the case. Speaking from the viewpoint of a 4 year season ticket holder I can say that the Flint area has embraced the team. Attendance deficiencies are purely a by product of ownership and league mismanagement. Last year in a season where there was a perceived race to the bottom in the second half the arena was not empty. It wasn't full but it was not empty either. Even with this horrendous start attendance isn't actually looking to awful much worse than the same time frame last year. A couple wins would do wonders. Trying to lay some responsibility at the community's door is ridiculous. The Flint area has been all in and as supportive as anyone of this team and these young men. You sir owe the people of Genessee county an apology.

I agree. The stands are not empty even with the bad start. 3 year season ticket holder as well. Wins will do great things for attendance but so will getting the bad press out. Get a GM who is around more. With him being a scout as well for Team Canada, it doesn't give him the time he needs to look and better the team. He has been around more the last 2 weeks than I have seen since he was hired.

Reactions: icuwoot

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018

You Toldyaso OWE the people of GENESEE (it's spelled Genesee and not Genessee) an apology. To quote you, "Thats pretty harsh and also displays an extreme lack of connection with Flint" when you can't even spell correctly the county that Flint is in. I am from the area so I clearly know that is the case.

I likewise am a 4 year season ticket holder and I can say that many other season ticket holders around me cannot even give away their tickets that they may not be using to the people of Flint who you say are supposedly "embracing this team".

Attendance deficiencies are purely due to the product on the ice. If this team was 11-0 do you believe that attendance would not be better? Who's responsible for the product on the ice? Who's not doing their job? Who's causing this for people staying away from the Dort?

To quote you once again "Even with this horrendous start attendance isn't actually looking too awful much worse than the same time frame last year. " Last year after 6 home games the Firebirds were averaging 2,707 per game. This year after 6 home games they are averaging 2,240 (nearly a drop of 500 people (17%). I certainly wouldn't call that as the Flint area being all in and supporting of this team. Those numbers show a decrease of interest in this team.

A couple wins will NOT do wonders, all it will do is get you 4 points. This team needs more than a "couple of wins".

You TOLDYASO owe ME an apology. You don't even know who you are talking to, I am not a sir.

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I wish they would also pink-out the ice. They have done that for years in Kalamazoo for Valentines Games and always sold out the KWings 5,100 seat arena.
In Buffalo they dyed the ice green for St. Paddy's day. I had a friend that played on green ice once and said it was very difficult to see the puck...

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
You Toldyaso OWE the people of GENESEE (it's spelled Genesee and not Genessee) an apology. To quote you, "Thats pretty harsh and also displays an extreme lack of connection with Flint" when you can't even spell correctly the county that Flint is in. I am from the area so I clearly know that is the case.
Peeple of Genessee counte mi apologes four mi errer. Mi edjamacation mus bee laking.

I likewise am a 4 year season ticket holder and I can say that many other season ticket holders around me cannot even give away their tickets that they may not be using to the people of Flint who you say are supposedly "embracing this team".
Ok just an opinion with no corroboration. What you meant is that is what you FEEL because in your efforts to support the team (I am being generous with that assumption) is that rather than actually go to the games and try and support them you are trying to give your tickets away. So taken to it's logical conclusion you are sort of correct in a small way. You have failed to to embrace the team and just assume that everyone else is doing the same.

Attendance deficiencies are purely due to the product on the ice. If this team was 11-0 do you believe that attendance would not be better? Who's responsible for the product on the ice? Who's not doing their job? Who's causing this for people staying away from the Dort?
Umm Yea that is what I said " Attendance deficiencies are purely a by product of ownership and league mismanagement." to quote myself.

To quote you once again "Even with this horrendous start attendance isn't actually looking too awful much worse than the same time frame last year. " Last year after 6 home games the Firebirds were averaging 2,707 per game. This year after 6 home games they are averaging 2,240 (nearly a drop of 500 people (17%). I certainly wouldn't call that as the Flint area being all in and supporting of this team. Those numbers show a decrease of interest in this team.
And here is where you go off the rails. You are basing your 17% drop on attendance numbers comparing a full season average to the first six games of this season. Everyone knows Flint attendance is much lighter the first part of the season when it is competing with all the other fall sports events in the area. It was the same last year but the second half of the season pulled the average up last year just like the previous 2 seasons. Pulling numbers from hockeydb.com comparing a 34 game average to a 6 game average is misleading and poor data to base an argument on.
Flint Firebirds yearly attendance at hockeydb.com Link for everyone to see where you pulled your numbers.

A couple wins will NOT do wonders, all it will do is get you 4 points. This team needs more than a "couple of wins".
"More than a couple wins" still needs those first couple of wins before the more can come. They have to start somewhere and that means a couple of wins to pick them up a little bit. Of course if you've already left the building like you appear to have it won't mean a thing.

You TOLDYASO owe ME an apology. You don't even know who you are talking to, I am not a sir.
Ha ha no I don't Sir, Maam, It, They, Them or whatever.

You have a wonderful day. See you at the games this weekend.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
In Buffalo they dyed the ice green for St. Paddy's day. I had a friend that played on green ice once and said it was very difficult to see the puck...

Nice. Kalamazoo formerly of the IHL, now of the ECHL does St. Patrick's day with green ice too. Very cool.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
I did no editing my first post stated...Last year after 6 home games the Firebirds were averaging 2,707 per game. This year after 6 home games they are averaging 2,240 (nearly a drop of 500 people (17%).

My second post stated...
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18 first six game totals

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
13,442 Total Attendance for first 6 games of 2018-2019, average of 2,240.

16,243 Total attendance for first 6 games 0f 2017-2018, average of 2,707.

From 2,707 to 2,240 is a decrease by 17%.

The total numbers match up in both posts.

Below are links to box scores posted on the official OHL site which includes attendance figure for each game.

2018-2019

Game 1 on 9/29 vs. London (attendance 3,854) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 2 on 10/3 vs. Saginaw (attendance 1,657) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Gam3 3 on 10/6 vs. Guelph (attendance 1,816) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 4 on 10/12 vs. North Bay (attendance 1,701) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 5 on 10/13 vs. Kitchner (attendance 2,863) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 6 on 10/21 vs. Barrie (attendance 1,551) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

2017-2018

Game 1 on 9/30 vs. Ottawa (attendance 3,845) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 2 on 10/11 vs. Guelph (attendance 2,034) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 3 on 10/14 vs. Mississauga (attendance 3,418) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 4 on 10/15 vs Kitchner (attendance 1,913) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 5 on 10/21 vs. Peterborough (attendance 3,049) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 6 on 10/22 vs. Windsor (attendance 1,984) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Everything is official from the OHL, verify the information and tell me what is incorrect.

Your credibility is in question. I repeat last year after 6 home games the Firebirds were averaging 2,707 per game. This year after 6 home games they are averaging 2,240 (nearly a drop of 500 people (17%).

Told you so.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I did no editing my first post stated...Last year after 6 home games the Firebirds were averaging 2,707 per game. This year after 6 home games they are averaging 2,240 (nearly a drop of 500 people (17%).

My second post stated...
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017-18 first six game totals

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
13,442 Total Attendance for first 6 games of 2018-2019, average of 2,240.

16,243 Total attendance for first 6 games 0f 2017-2018, average of 2,707.

From 2,707 to 2,240 is a decrease by 17%.

The total numbers match up in both posts.

Below are links to box scores posted on the official OHL site which includes attendance figure for each game.

2018-2019

Game 1 on 9/29 vs. London (attendance 3,854) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 2 on 10/3 vs. Saginaw (attendance 1,657) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Gam3 3 on 10/6 vs. Guelph (attendance 1,816) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 4 on 10/12 vs. North Bay (attendance 1,701) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 5 on 10/13 vs. Kitchner (attendance 2,863) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 6 on 10/21 vs. Barrie (attendance 1,551) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

2017-2018

Game 1 on 9/30 vs. Ottawa (attendance 3,845) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 2 on 10/11 vs. Guelph (attendance 2,034) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 3 on 10/14 vs. Mississauga (attendance 3,418) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 4 on 10/15 vs Kitchner (attendance 1,913) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 5 on 10/21 vs. Peterborough (attendance 3,049) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Game 6 on 10/22 vs. Windsor (attendance 1,984) Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League

Everything is official from the OHL, verify the information and tell me what is incorrect.

Your credibility is in question. I repeat last year after 6 home games the Firebirds were averaging 2,707 per game. This year after 6 home games they are averaging 2,240 (nearly a drop of 500 people (17%).

Told you so.
You are so hell bent on being right. I cannot believed you went to all that trouble to simply say “told you so”!. How about we concentrate on our Firebirds and getting them pointed in the right direction and talking about our new coach who will be behind the the bench this weekend. I hope a couple of our defensemen are back and cannot wait to get the Belarusian D-Man into the lineup too.

Last edited:

jimyco

Oct 6, 2014
Mississauga, Ont
Getting back to hockey, if there was ever a night to get started in the win column, you would have to think tonight or tomorrow is it. You gotta take one out of two against the Sting, don't ya?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Getting back to hockey, if there was ever a night to get started in the win column, you would have to think tonight or tomorrow is it. You gotta take one out of two against the Sting, don't ya?

Hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->