Flint Firebirds 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey61fan

Oct 14, 2018
Nilsen was suspended on April 6, 2016 until April 6, 2021 but can appeal to be reinstated in 2019.
The part I find ironic in all of this is the statement that was made by Dave Branch
"I am satisfied that Rolf Nilsen of the Flint Firebirds has on several occasions violated an agreement he signed on the 11th day of November, 2015, between himself and the OHL," said Branch in a statement. "Those violations are contrary to the best interests of the players, the Team, and the OHL."
So does this not also apply to the OHL and BB? Do they really think they are doing what's best for the players, team and league.

I think Nilsen will be reinstated in 2019 as he has kept his nose clean. He will then put the team up for sale once his son is done playing. He is a 98 so it is coming soon.

Remember just my opinion.

Reactions: webegtodiffer

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
There is no place in hockey for Nilsen.

If the OHL has any integrity they will revoke Nilsen's ownership as a league member of the OHL.

The franchise will become dormant until a buyer is found, be it in Flint or some other market.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I think Nilsen will be reinstated in 2019 as he has kept his nose clean. He will then put the team up for sale once his son is done playing. He is a 98 so it is coming soon.

Remember just my opinion.

-Signed
Everyone?

That's basically what everyone thinks will happen. Locally we are hoping someone here will step up and buy the team.

Reactions: sbpointer

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

If the OHL has any integrity they will revoke Nilsen's ownership as a league member of the OHL.

The franchise will become dormant until a buyer is found, be it in Flint or some other market.
Dormant? That's your theory? Just totally adjust to a 19 team schedule? Let every other OHL team draft a Firebird and their prospects? Or are they just sending all the kids home with a "Sorry, you don't get to play this year." ?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Team won’t be dormant sorry

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Dormant? That's your theory? Just totally adjust to a 19 team schedule? Let every other OHL team draft a Firebird and their prospects? Or are they just sending all the kids home with a "Sorry, you don't get to play this year." ?

Draft Dispersal via the leagues by-laws. The OHL has in the past operated with an odd number of teams for many years. Wouldn't be the first time for that to happen. I'm certain that longtime OHL followers will verify that for you.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Draft Dispersal via the leagues by-laws. The OHL has in the past operated with an odd number of teams for many years. Wouldn't be the first time for that to happen. I'm certain that longtime OHL followers will verify that for you.
The NHL has absorbed teams from other leagues before too. Wouldn't be the first time for that to happen either. Google it. Maybe the Firebirds will get to play the Wings and Leafs next year. FHL is a mildly possible and somewhat realistic threat. Dormant is not. I haven't seen an FHL game yet but I'm guessing if Hakon can't make it there on his own, there's a cheaper way for Daddy to pull it off than buying a team. I'm sure every FHL owner could use a little cash influx.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
The NHL has absorbed teams from other leagues before too. Wouldn't be the first time for that to happen either. Google it. Maybe the Firebirds will get to play the Wings and Leafs next year. FHL is a mildly possible and somewhat realistic threat. Dormant is not. I haven't seen an FHL game yet but I'm guessing if Hakon can't make it there on his own, there's a cheaper way for Daddy to pull it off than buying a team. I'm sure every FHL owner could use a little cash influx.

The NHL isn't the only league to have had dispersal drafts. Within the last year, Quad Cities of the ECHL and Mississippi of the SPHL shut down operations and their respective leagues held dispersal drafts.

The FHL may very well be the only league willing to have Nilsen. Otherwise, Nilsen could very well find himself left with a building to play in, but with no team.

There is however, a group that has had preliminary conversations with the ECHL in purchasing a defunct franchise and relocating it to Flint if they are able to get a lease with Nilsen of the Dort.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Jason Robertson (Northville, MI) put on trade wire by Kingston according to OHL Insiders...

Would be shocking if Flint were a possible destination for Robertson, but the idea of having "hometown" kids on this team is intriguing.

MiscAmerica

Oct 3, 2018
There could also be the outside possibility that Rolf wants to rebuild his reputation within the hockey community and so might actually put in the effort to build a successful club in Flint. He could also use the team as a way for Hakon to get into the business side of the game if he still wants to continue on the nepotism train.

I don’t know. It’s just ridiculous. I’m not a season ticket holder, but I have attended 8-10 games a year for the last two years, and had plans this year to visit the Soo, Sarnia, Windsor and of course Saginaw this season, on top of the normal Flint games (not necessarily following Flint to these locations but just to see the league and prospects) but it just seems like a waste, the league and Nielsen before have been such a letdown, it pretty much seems like a waste of time as a supporter. Awful mismanagement, teams that don’t want to send prospects here, lackluster effort, the list goes on, and it sucks.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Jason Robertson (Northville, MI) put on trade wire by Kingston according to OHL Insiders...

Would be shocking if Flint were a possible destination for Robertson, but the idea of having "hometown" kids on this team is intriguing.

Not happening

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The NHL isn't the only league to have had dispersal drafts. Within the last year, Quad Cities of the ECHL and Mississippi of the SPHL shut down operations and their respective leagues held dispersal drafts.

The FHL may very well be the only league willing to have Nilsen. Otherwise, Nilsen could very well find himself left with a building to play in, but with no team.

There is however, a group that has had preliminary conversations with the ECHL in purchasing a defunct franchise and relocating it to Flint if they are able to get a lease with Nilsen of the Dort.
With the ECHL's huge budget and operating expenses, Flint is not a good fit with it's 3,960 seat arena and economical challenges. Nor is the SPHL. We are trying to keep our head above water in the OHL. With Flint's new fan base, junior hockey is the ticket. Just wish there was different ownership.

Reactions: the dog

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You saw the part where I said it would be shocking, right???
What wouldn't be too shocking is to see Dallas push for Robertson and Dellandrea to find a new home together. If there's one NHL team I never wanna see the Firebirds cross paths with again, it's Dallas.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
What wouldn't be too shocking is to see Dallas push for Robertson and Dellandrea to find a new home together. If there's one NHL team I never wanna see the Firebirds cross paths with again, it's Dallas.

Add Montreal and Detroit, two storied franchises as two others who are avoiding the Firebirds

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
With the ECHL's huge budget and operating expenses, Flint is not a good fit with it's 3,960 seat arena and economical challenges. Nor is the SPHL. We are trying to keep our head above water in the OHL. With Flint's new fan base, junior hockey is the ticket. Just wish there was different ownership.

The group in question has met the financial qualifications and also already has a commitment of an NHL affiliation. They are also considering one other market who's arena seats 5,000 but is further away in distance from the NHL club.

I personally do not feel that Flint has embraced the OHL and junior hockey, attendance has proved that by finishing near the bottom of overall OHL league attendance since the Firebirds have been in town. The product on the ice and mismanagement definitely are a cause for that. But with the dismal beginning to the current season I don't see attendance improving from previous years low totals.

In the end, Nilsen will have the final say as to the future of hockey in Flint.

Reactions: LondonKnightsRule

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Wellwood era begins tomorrow. He has obtained his visa and will be behind the bench for the 3 in 3 this weekend beginning Friday in Sarnia.

Any one heard on the import D from London? Haven't heard anything in a few weeks. Are we still waiting on his visa as well?

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Knights fan here. I sincerely hope things turn around because I have been to quite a few games vs Firebirds and love the fans, the team, city of Flint and the arena. This team has the foundation in place and just need a few breaks and hopefully the ship gets righted and it smooth sailing moving forward.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
The group in question has met the financial qualifications and also already has a commitment of an NHL affiliation. They are also considering one other market who's arena seats 5,000 but is further away in distance from the NHL club.

I personally do not feel that Flint has embraced the OHL and junior hockey, attendance has proved that by finishing near the bottom of overall OHL league attendance since the Firebirds have been in town. The product on the ice and mismanagement definitely are a cause for that. But with the dismal beginning to the current season I don't see attendance improving from previous years low totals.

Your above comments are not entirely correct. Flint has the 3rd smallest arena in the OHL. Each of the last 3 years there have been other much more established OHL clubs that Flint had out-drawn in attendance (North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough, and Mississauga) and very close or similar to a few other clubs. Until this year, and it is early, attendance had not been the problem. However, you are correct in that management is.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Your above comments are not entirely correct. Flint has the 3rd smallest arena in the OHL. Each of the last 3 years there gave been other much more established OHL clubs that Flint had out-drawn in attendance (North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough, and Mississauga)

League attendance on this site, shows Owen Sound average attendance to be just over 3000 per game, 200 more than Flint.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Football is also king here.

Until high school football is done with on Fridays (Playoffs start tonight), and college football is over with on Saturdays, crowds will definitely struggle. Moving the Sunday games up to 2 pm didn't make much sense to me, at least if they were at 4, some people would still show up when the lions played at 1.

Through the first 3 yeas, it felt like the night before Thanksgiving game is when the tide started to turn and the crowds got better.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
League attendance on this site, shows Owen Sound average attendance to be just over 3000 per game, 200 more than Flint.
If you read my comments that would qualify as very close. Flint has also finished the season ahead of Owen Sound in the past couple of seasons.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Your above comments are not entirely correct. Flint has the 3rd smallest arena in the OHL. Each of the last 3 years there gave been other much more established OHL clubs that Flint had out-drawn in attendance (North Bay, Owen Sound, Peterborough, and Mississauga) and very close or similar to a few other clubs. Until this year, and it is early, attendance had not been the problem. However, you are correct in that management is.

Flint (415,376 metro population) had better out drawn, small arena or not... North Bay (70,378 metro population), Peterborough (121,721 metro population) and Owen Sound (31,820 metro population).

flint michigan metro population - Google Search

north bay ontario metro population - Google Search

peterbourough metro population - Google Search

owen sound ontario metro population - Google Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad