Flex

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Ok here's my situation. I bought a Reebok 7K stick over ebay. I ordered a stiff flex. i recieved a Extra stiff flex. Since im still relatively new to hockey and this is my first time buying a brand new stick. i wanted to know the differnce between regular, stiff and extra stiff flex. Is one suited more for a forward and another for D? Does size and strength have anything to do with it? I'm 5 10 165-170 I'd say i have solid strength. Not very strong but not weak at all. How will it affect my shot? i really don't want to have to package the stick and send it back so any information will be appreciated.

UserName

Jul 4, 2003
Visit site
Ok here's my situation. I bought a Reebok 7K stick over ebay. I ordered a stiff flex. i recieved a Extra stiff flex. Since im still relatively new to hockey and this is my first time buying a brand new stick. i wanted to know the differnce between regular, stiff and extra stiff flex. Is one suited more for a forward and another for D? Does size and strength have anything to do with it? I'm 5 10 165-170 I'd say i have solid strength. Not very strong but not weak at all. How will it affect my shot? i really don't want to have to package the stick and send it back so any information will be appreciated.

The main difference between a regular, stiff and extra stiff is the stiffness :biglaugh:

Think of your stick as a bow and the puck as an arrow. the more the stick flexes during your shot, the harder it is relative to your stick stiffness. i'm 6'0 155 and i use a 85 flex Easton stealth which is a regular ish flex. you should consider a flexier stick.

You can play any position with any stiffness, it's the blade shape that is more important. Usually d men use square blades and forwards use round blades. But i play forward with a square blade so :dunno: .........

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net

Ok, you asked.

For me, I alway tell my new forward players to purchase a stick with flex. Preferably wood! Why? With a wooden stick you want the shaft to flex so that it provides you with more power in your slap shot.

First Example
First: If you place the hand that goes at the butt end of your stick and you try to pick up a five pound bag of sugar with the tip of your stick blade, using only that hand, chances are really good that you will strain your wrist.

Second: However, if you place your skate halfway down the shaft, this becomes a fulcrum point and you will beable to pick up the five pound bag of sugar by just pushing down on the butt end of your stick with the tip of your finger...correct?

Well, the same holds true when you are shooting a slap shot or passing the puck to a team mate.

The bottom hand down the shaft act like a fulcrum point. This provides you the leverage in your shot or pass.

Second Example
Have you every heard of a compound bow? Sure you have, it's that bow with all the string and pulleys.

Now when you pull back on this thing, it feels like it's going to pull your fingers off at the first knuckle. However, when you get to a certain point, it feels like you can pull it back with just two fingers. When you let the arrow go, the speed of the arrow stays constant until it hits the string and pulley force. Then the arrow accelerates at this point fast enough to go through a tree!

Well, this is the same concept on what happens when you hit the ice, about an inch behind the puck during a slap shot. That lower hand down the shaft acts like the pulley system on the compound bow.

If you have a stick that has flex, the stick bends when you make contact with the ice. Then when you follow through with your shot, the bending force of the stick will accelerate the puck once the shaft starts to straighten....get it?

Now, the less flex, the less force. The more flex, the more force, the faster the shot!

So why do defenseman play with less flex? If you are a defenseman and you are trying to push someone in front of the net so that your goalie can see, if you break your stick, it is a dead give-a-way that you just cross checked the player and you will get called.

So in this case, I recommend an aluminum shaft, they don't break as easily.

Head coach
http://www.passthepuck.net

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
Man, go back to e-bay and try to cell it. Beginners need a flexible sticks. I mean you can learn to shoot with Extra Stiff RBK (which is what Jofa use to be), but the frustration you will go through by the time you start getting results is not worth $200US this stick is usually sells for. This is pro stuff for the guys who move weights every day to get proper upper body strength.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
yeah. You should definitely try to trade or sell it for something in a lighter flex. I'm a big guy and I'm not comfortable with an extra stiff flex stick on a shot. 110 flex is about my max and your stick is going to be about a 115 flex.

Pat

Oct 3, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Ok, you asked.

For me, I alway tell my new forward players to purchase a stick with flex. Preferably wood! Why? With a wooden stick you want the shaft to flex so that it provides you with more power in your slap shot.

First Example
First: If you place the hand that goes at the butt end of your stick and you try to pick up a five pound bag of sugar with the tip of your stick blade, using only that hand, chances are really good that you will strain your wrist.

Second: However, if you place your skate halfway down the shaft, this becomes a fulcrum point and you will beable to pick up the five pound bag of sugar by just pushing down on the butt end of your stick with the tip of your finger...correct?

Well, the same holds true when you are shooting a slap shot or passing the puck to a team mate.

The bottom hand down the shaft act like a fulcrum point. This provides you the leverage in your shot or pass.

Second Example
Have you every heard of a compound bow? Sure you have, it's that bow with all the string and pulleys.

Now when you pull back on this thing, it feels like it's going to pull your fingers off at the first knuckle. However, when you get to a certain point, it feels like you can pull it back with just two fingers. When you let the arrow go, the speed of the arrow stays constant until it hits the string and pulley force. Then the arrow accelerates at this point fast enough to go through a tree!

Well, this is the same concept on what happens when you hit the ice, about an inch behind the puck during a slap shot. That lower hand down the shaft acts like the pulley system on the compound bow.

If you have a stick that has flex, the stick bends when you make contact with the ice. Then when you follow through with your shot, the bending force of the stick will accelerate the puck once the shaft starts to straighten....get it?

Now, the less flex, the less force. The more flex, the more force, the faster the shot!

So why do defenseman play with less flex? If you are a defenseman and you are trying to push someone in front of the net so that your goalie can see, if you break your stick, it is a dead give-a-way that you just cross checked the player and you will get called.

So in this case, I recommend an aluminum shaft, they don't break as easily.

Head coach
http://www.passthepuck.net

:bow: :bow: :bow:
best explanation of stick flex I've ever read...it can't be any clearer

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys. The guy i bought it from was being shady and i wasnt sure if he'd let me return it, but after many "friendly" emails:sarcasm: He's gonna let me return it and give me a regular flex.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad