Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

33MaxO

Jul 26, 2004
On a similar note, is Lehtonen Calder eligible, cause i think he is.

That would be sweet to see a race between these two young goalies for the calder.

I still think Fleury is far better then Lehtonen. Much faster and more flexible.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Lehtonen only played four games, so yeah he's Calder eligible.

Fleury is not "far better" than Lehtonen either.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Still is classified as a rookie by NHL rules and is Calder eligible.

Why HF downgraded him to graduated after his ninth game is beyond me...

Everyone who starts a season with the team gratuates, if im not mistaken

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
33MaxO said:
On a similar note, is Lehtonen Calder eligible, cause i think he is.

That would be sweet to see a race between these two young goalies for the calder.

I still think Fleury is far better then Lehtonen. Much faster and more flexible.
I wouldnt say Fleury is far better than Lehtonen, but Im glad you think so. You must also take into account Lehtonen's size and pure skill.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Teemu08 said:
Everyone who starts a season with the team gratuates, if im not mistaken

Which is stupid, if a guy starts with the team and gets sent down after 2 games...then what?

He's graduated because he played 2 games with the NHL team?

Stupid, Fleury is still a teenager and still eligible for the Calder, if that doesn't scream prospect I don't know what does.

33MaxO

Jul 26, 2004
I guess i kind of meant to say that Fleury has more potential. I just think he is soo quick in his movement. I really like him and Ouellet being top goalies in this league. They both play a pretty similar style.

I did kind of forget about Lehtonen's athleticism and flat out talent though. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Pat_Habs

Aug 7, 2004
Fleury is already a choker.

He failed in 2004 playoffs with his big team in the Q and he failed with Team Canada in the most important game of Tournament.

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
Pat_Habs said:

He failed in 2004 playoffs with his big team in the Q and he failed with Team Canada in the most important game of Tournament.

Of course he is. What else can an 18 year-old goalie who stumbled and tripped up during his junior, still-formative hockey days be classified as anything but a "a choker"?

I mean, Joe Thornton only scored a measly 6 points during his rookie campaign. What a wasted talent that lumbering centerman was and how stupid of the Bruins management to not ditch his choking ass at the first opportunity. :shakehead

Last edited:

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
tallpenguin said:
Of course he is. What else can an 18 years old goalie who stumbled and tripped up during his junior, still-formative hockey days be classified as but a "a choker"?

I mean, Joe Thornton only scored a measly 6 points during his rookie campaign. What a wasted talent that lumbering centerman was and how stupid of the Bruins management to not ditch his ass at the first opportunity. :shakehead

:handclap:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Pat_Habs said:

I heard Theodore couldn't pull the trigger at one of his "jobs".

Pathetic choker.

Pat_Habs

Aug 7, 2004
Moskau said:
I heard Theodore couldn't pull the trigger at one of his "jobs".

Pathetic choker.

I hate Theodore for this reason...he's the biggest choker of the NHL.

Our Habs will never advanced in playoffs with Theo, they can pass the first round versus Bruins because it's a choker team, but that's it.

I cryed when we trade Garon, seriously, check Garon at LA, he will become a great #1.

So, it's already done, I cannot make anything. For Fleury, I hope that he will be able to perform in playoffs in the future, but at this time, he failed at 2 occasions with a big team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pat_Habs said:

Damn it. 4 posts in and already a choker yourself.
Go back to minors, you should be reassigned.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
IMO Lehtonen is superior to Fleury. Not only that but he's shown time and time again that he is a big game player - MAF has shown otherwise (losing twice in the finals of the WJC and being out played by JDD and his weaker team in the playoffs). The goalie that I expect to be the next best thing is Lehtonen - I think he'll emerge as the best goalie to ever come out of Europe to play in the NHL.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
thome_26 said:
IMO Lehtonen is superior to Fleury. Not only that but he's shown time and time again that he is a big game player - MAF has shown otherwise (losing twice in the finals of the WJC and being out played by JDD and his weaker team in the playoffs). The goalie that I expect to be the next best thing is Lehtonen - I think he'll emerge as the best goalie to ever come out of Europe to play in the NHL.

I agree lehtonen is going to be a great prospect and a great goalie however for him to ever come anywhere near what hasek has done (Top goalie in the nhl for basically a 10 year stretch, likely one of the best ever as well) that is not very likely in my eyes.

I also think that Fleury is going to be a little better then Lehtonen when all is said and done but for now its a toss up. as well Lehtonen has had very little chance to play in big games and didnt look all that good in his last year of the world juniors when Fleury by far out played him and won the goalie of the tourney award.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
33MaxO said:
I guess i kind of meant to say that Fleury has more potential. I just think he is soo quick in his movement. I really like him and Ouellet being top goalies in this league. They both play a pretty similar style.

I did kind of forget about Lehtonen's athleticism and flat out talent though. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Yeah Lehtonen is pretty good...just not as good as Fleury :yo:

33MaxO said:
I still think Fleury is far better then Lehtonen.

I like the way you think :handclap:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
nurminen31 said:
Yeah Lehtonen is pretty good...just not as good as Fleury :yo:

I like the way you think :handclap:

Sorry man, but Lehtonen is better than Fleury.

Fleury has alot of weight to add, and if he can add that weight without losing any speed has yet to be seen.

Pat_Habs

Aug 7, 2004
Evilo said:
Damn it. 4 posts in and already a choker yourself.
Go back to minors, you should be reassigned.

I have only 4 posts...my god!

I'm not a reference, I just have 4 posts on this board!

So, I have more than 10000 posts on hockey on other boards.

I received the confirmation for my inscription to HFBoards today.

For Fleury, I said it because he choked at the most important tournament of junior hockey and he choked in the Q with a big team. It's a fact.

But, like I said, it's possible that he will be a great goaltender in the future in playoffs and win the cup...I hope!

33MaxO

Jul 26, 2004
I cant believe im a caps fan who is supporting a penguins goalie. :)
(my fav goalie is obviously Maxime Ouellet, as you can tell by my name)
I dont really think Fleury is a choker yet. He is still way too young to be called that.
I just love Fleury's quickness. In my opinion, Fleury never let his team down while he was playing with the Penguins. He never truly had an outright awful game. He proved he should be in the NHL at some points (like his first ever game).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh i remember he had a pretty crap game against the rangers...he's had his bad games already in the NHL

i think you gotta realize that lehtonen is probably further along in his development than fleury though...he's a bit older (about a year) and has played at a higher level than fleury throughout his "career"

give fleury some time and he'll probably be a good goalie...dunno really who will be better between fleury and lehtonen though :dunno:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Moskau said:
Sorry man, but Lehtonen is better than Fleury.

Fleury has alot of weight to add, and if he can add that weight without losing any speed has yet to be seen.
What do you mean, weight to add? He's not a power winger. He doesn't exactly need strength on the puck.

He might need endurance, but that comes from conditioning, not mass. 6'2" 172 is fine for a goaltender.

For Fleury, I said it because he choked at the most important tournament of junior hockey and he choked in the Q with a big team. It's a fact.
No, that's what you call an "opinion".

In my opinion, Fleury never let his team down while he was playing with the Penguins.
There's truth to that and it goes against the "choker" tag in many ways. There's not much doubt Fleury was sub-par at the WJCs, while I refuse to believe that Fleury choked in the Q finals (at least not nearly as much as the team in front of him did). But really, what kind of goaltender can step in and dominate the NHL for a month at the age of 18? The answer is the big game type of goaltender.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->