Fleury willing to forgo bonus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
- This kid as just impressed me BIG TIME... I wish more pros (rookies & veterans) would have the same mentality and just play the game that they love (and the game that has given them so much)... just glad to see that more and more kids coming onto the NHL are just happy to bet there and aren't worried about how many millions they'll take home every year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canadian Press

12/2/2003

PITTSBURGH (CP) - Rookie goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury wants so badly to stay in the NHL that he's possibly willing to forgo a $3-million US bonus in his contract.

Once Fleury appears in 25 games this season, his bonus package will kick in. "So far, there wasn't any talk about what they will do with me," Fleury said. "I don't know, so ... maybe when they will do something, we'll see if we can talk (about the bonus).

"Because I don't want to leave. I just want to stay here. We'll see what will happen."

The Penguins, who revealed Monday they expect to lose $5 million this season, are making no secret of their reluctance to add to that deficit by paying Fleury his bonus.

"We have to make tough decisions along the way, which we have," team president Ken Sawyer said. "I don't know if Fleury's going to spend the rest of the season here or go back to juniors. We haven't made that decision yet. But, in part, it will be a financial issue."

Fleury could still represent Canada at the world junior championships in Helsinki later this month. Pens GM Craig Patrick has spoken to Hockey Canada about it.

Fleury said he is trying to block out thoughts of the world juniors.

"I know training camp (Dec. 11) is coming soon. But I don't know ... we'll see what happens," Fleury said

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, for anyone who questions Schremp’s desire and determination read the following quote, "I'll play for pocket change if I have to, just as long as I can get to the highest level that I can," he adds. "I'd just like to make enough money to take care of my parents and my family. "My parents are not that well off and I'd really like to pay them back for all the things they've done for me. They've been the biggest part of my success."

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Also, for anyone who questions Schremp’s desire and determination read the following quote, "I'll play for pocket change if I have to, just as long as I can get to the highest level that I can," he adds. "I'd just like to make enough money to take care of my parents and my family. "My parents are not that well off and I'd really like to pay them back for all the things they've done for me. They've been the biggest part of my success."

That could mean 1 or 2 things:

1) Schremp is getting a bad rap.

2) Schremp's agent as instructed him to blow smoke up people's butts leading up to the draft.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Jim Bob said:
That could mean 1 or 2 things:

1) Schremp is getting a bad rap.

2) Schremp's agent as instructed him to blow smoke up people's butts leading up to the draft.

I agree, its gotta be one of those two reasons... if the 2nd one is true, its gonna look kinda funny if he has any contract problems right off the start.

GoRyanMalone

Very surprising news. At such a young age, though, suffering a pay cut already. ;) Could be a bad decision if he can't light it up in the next couple of years.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
brazor said:
Very surprising news. At such a young age, though, suffering a pay cut already. ;) Could be a bad decision if he can't light it up in the next couple of years.

I think what some of you are not realizing is: 3M a season or 5M a seasons its still enough to live on... so BIG deal he'll lose out on a few Million, it is alot of money to anyone, but when your being paid Millions and Millions to play a sport you LOVE, it doesn't matter - he'll be well off if he decides to retire after this season... that's the point I'm trying to make.

elphy101

Nov 8, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
He's not really giving up anything. Assuming the Penguins decide they can't afford him. Fleury has 2 options. Of course he would be willing to forgo some bonus

Option 1: Get sent to Junior and receive the 1 million NHL salary while playing junior.

Option 2: Forgo some of the bonus so he can play in the NHL. He still gets the 1 million dollar salary, plus he gains at least a million or two of bonuses. If it comes down to it, of course he would give up some bonus if it means he stays in the NHL.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
luongofan said:
I think Fluery is a good kid too, but he doesn't necessarily say he will forego his bonus in that article.

Exactly. Why the shower of praises before we even know what will happen?

M-A has always been a great kid but this is just talk and very VAGUE speculations. He was pretty evasive about all this, and rightly so.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
As a Penguins fan, I hope he doesn't forgo his bonus. This kid is not in any position to yet say that he owes something back to the franchise, and it's not like the Pens will not play hardball with him the next time he's up for a new contract- or ever.

GMs are crewd when it comes to contracts, players should be the same. Fleury's career could end tomorrow and he'd be living off of 1.2 million dollars for his life.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I know he didn't say he would.
But I just like the fact he's probably thought about it.

Necrophile

Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
GMs are crewd when it comes to contracts, players should be the same. Fleury's career could end tomorrow and he'd be living off of 1.2 million dollars for his life.

That's the equivalent of making 50,000 $ a year for 24 years, with the advantage of having it all right away to invest some of it, and being a millionnaire at 18 years of age... Not too bad if you ask me!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Evilo said:
I know he didn't say he would.
But I just like the fact he's probably thought about it.

Yes, but that's just player talk. We see that all the time and talk is cheap. The Fleury deal will stay as is. Latest from TSN:

However, Allan Walsh says Fleury will not restructure his contract in order to improve his chances of staying in the NHL.

While Penguins general manager Craig Patrick says they have not asked Fleury to restructure his deal, Walsh points out that there is a clause in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement which prohibits reopening contracts of entry-level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->