Confirmed with Link: Fleury signs-2yrs/$1.3M aav

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I don't see how anyone could NOT like this deal...$1.3M for 2 years on a 24 y/o NHL d-man. Even if he somehow craps the bed it's not expensive, and if he plays like he did down the stretch it's a straight up bargain during some odd-cap years. Play well and he either makes Gards/Skjei replaceable in the top 4 or becomes an excellent trade chip or expansion fodder.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is an excellent bridge deal that still gives us one more round of RFA negotiations on an extension. Combine that with the complete unknown on how the 2020-21 season will play out (or even if there will be one), and this essentially gives him one to one and a half seasons to prove it before we work on a longer extension. Given the terms here, its setting the stage for a very team friendly deal with a player just starting to come into his own, which could pay off massively for us down the line. Hard to not like this kind of setup.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Does the low AAV make him more or less attractive to Seattle? He said he is glad to be back in Raleigh for 2 years, but how does Seattle not take him if he plays like he has in 2020?

I think it makes him more attractive to Carolina. If the decision comes down to Skjei or Fleury and both play as well as they did in the Playoffs then the $4 million Cap savings could be too good to pass up. Assuming that either 1) the Canes go 4-4 or 2) the Canes don't sign Hamilton by the expansion Draft.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
This is an excellent bridge deal that still gives us one more round of RFA negotiations on an extension. Combine that with the complete unknown on how the 2020-21 season will play out (or even if there will be one), and this essentially gives him one to one and a half seasons to prove it before we work on a longer extension. Given the terms here, its setting the stage for a very team friendly deal with a player just starting to come into his own, which could pay off massively for us down the line. Hard to not like this kind of setup.

Agree, I think the hope is that Fleury will be a long term staple in the top 4 with Slavin and Pesce and at a relatively team friendly deal like theirs. Having 3 top 4 defensemen locked in on reasonable contracts will allow us to pay what we have to in order to keep a guy like Dougie and then will also help with the eventual Svech and Necas contracts.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Agree, I think the hope is that Fleury will be a long term staple in the top 4 with Slavin and Pesce and at a relatively team friendly deal like theirs. Having 3 top 4 defensemen locked in on reasonable contracts will allow us to pay what we have to in order to keep a guy like Dougie and then will also help with the eventual Svech and Necas contracts.

*In Seattle's top 4.

Seriously, I'm having a very hard time seeing how we could manage to protect him without going 4-4 and sacrificing 2 expansion slots that we'll really want.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
*In Seattle's top 4.

Seriously, I'm having a very hard time seeing how we could manage to protect him without going 4-4 and sacrificing 2 expansion slots that we'll really want.

The Canes can only lose one player. The question is whether or not those extra forward expansion slots are more valuable than Fleury or Skjei. Going 7-3 the Canes are leaving all three of Skjei, Fleury, and Bean on the table. Going 4-4 the Canes are now protecting one of those and leaving Trocheck (if Staal won't waive), Geekie, Fast, Foegele, and two of Skjei, Fleury and Bean on the table.

Barring multiple moves, I'd guess Seattle will take the best defender available in either case so exposing the extra 3 forwards doesn't make a large difference. If Seattle did take a Geekie or Trocheck that hurts a bit but the Canes prospect pool is stacked with forwards so keeping the defensive depth intact would be nice.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The Canes can only lose one player. The question is whether or not those extra forward expansion slots are more valuable than Fleury or Skjei. Going 7-3 the Canes are leaving all three of Skjei, Fleury, and Bean on the table. Going 4-4 the Canes are now protecting one of those and leaving Trocheck (if Staal won't waive), Geekie, Fast, Foegele, and two of Skjei, Fleury and Bean on the table.

I’d keep Staal over Trocheck every day and twice on Sunday. At least after what I’ve seen so far.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Barring multiple moves, I'd guess Seattle will take the best defender available in either case so exposing the extra 3 forwards doesn't make a large difference. If Seattle did take a Geekie or Trocheck that hurts a bit but the Canes prospect pool is stacked with forwards so keeping the defensive depth intact would be nice.
I would do 4-4. I think our top four is our strength so choose the guy you want to protect fourth and accept one of the other two getting taken. I’m not worried they would take a forward, and if they did it wouldn’t be catastrophic.

I doubt Staal would waive and I would prefer to lose Staal over Trocheck but I don’t think it’s going to be an issue. I would expect them to take a d.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If we go 7-3-1 then all of Bean, Fleury, Skjei, and Gardiner are exposed, but guys like Trocheck, Geekie, and Foegele likely get protected....or maybe Fast instead of Foegele. The question remains, what type of player do we want to lose. In truth, we're stacked on the left side on defense and still a little starved for secondary scoring. If they go 4-4, then there's still a decision between Bean, Fleury, and Skjei as to who they expose on D. The forward crew is obvious with Aho, Teravainen, Staal, and Svechnikov all getting protected.

In the end, we're going to lose a good player regardless and we should merely pick whether that player is an offensive contributor or a defensive contributor.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
You have to look at who the other teams are exposing. You generally take BPA in an expansion draft but building a roster you also have to select based on need.

Are there going to be 6 defensemen exposed who are either better players or better assets than Skjei, Fleury, Bean? If so then Seattle might want a forward... but if we go 7-3-1 we aren’t exposing an enticing enough forward Seattle might pivot back to take a D from us so they can take a better forward elsewhere.

So, unless we make a bunch of moves to try to outsmart the process we’re going to have some quality D exposed. We DO have the option of protecting basically all of our valuable forwards but then that’s essentially telling Seattle to take their choice of Skjei, Fleury, Bean.

Finally we have to ask ourselves which hurts us more? Losing one of Tro, Foegele, Fast or one of Skjei, Fleury, Bean.

Value wise it’s probably losing the Dman that hurts more but roster construction and depth wise losing the forward weakens is more.

Short story long, barring some creative moves I’m actually leaning towards 4-4. Assuming that Seattle sees us as a strength on the back end this allows us to protect one of Skjei, Fleury, Bean thus minimizing their option there. If they take one of Tro, Foegele or Fast (likely Tro if he plays well) it would suck but he was kind of found money. You’re gonna lose someone decent, there’s no way around it but it shouldn’t be crippling.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Keep in mind that this regime seems to think it's easy to acquire defense. And they have acquired a lot of it over the last few years to varying levels.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Keep in mind that this regime seems to think it's easy to acquire defense. And they have acquired a lot of it over the last few years to varying levels.
True. But we also have Bokk, Suzuki, Jarvis, Rees, Gunler and more in the pipeline at forward. Our backend pipeline looks a lot more risky to make the NHL. I’d go 4-4-1 at this point unless Trocheck goes off this year.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
True. But we also have Bokk, Suzuki, Jarvis, Rees, Gunler and more in the pipeline at forward. Our backend pipeline looks a lot more risky to make the NHL. I’d go 4-4-1 at this point unless Trocheck goes off this year.

As much as I love our forward prospects, none of those guys will be ready by the time Seattle picks, though. Jake Bean, OTOH, will definitely be. Seattle can only take one defenseman from us. IMO, that's likely to either be Fleury or Skjei, probably the former.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As much as I love our forward prospects, none of those guys will be ready by the time Seattle picks, though. Jake Bean, OTOH, will definitely be. Seattle can only take one defenseman from us. IMO, that's likely to either be Fleury or Skjei, probably the former.
Exactly, thus protect Fleury and lose either a guy who is in the AHL, or a guy who is overpaid.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Am sure it’s mostly understood in these scenarios, but whether or not Hamilton is re-signed will play a HUGE part in going 7-3-1 vs 4-4-1.

There’s always the unlikely and dangerous option of having the handshake deal with Hamilton for him to sign after the expansion draft so they don’t have to use a spot on him.

I tend to think Hamilton is re-signed before the expansion draft and would prefer they go 7-3-1 and expect to lose one of Skjei, Fleury or Bean. That’s where they can afford to lose a guy, it would hurt, but not too much. The depth is there at LD, use it you your advantage would be my play.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Am sure it’s mostly understood in these scenarios, but whether or not Hamilton is re-signed will play a HUGE part in going 7-3-1 vs 4-4-1.

There’s always the unlikely and dangerous option of having the handshake deal with Hamilton for him to sign after the expansion draft so they don’t have to use a spot on him.

I tend to think Hamilton is re-signed before the expansion draft and would prefer they go 7-3-1 and expect to lose one of Skjei, Fleury or Bean. That’s where they can afford to lose a guy, it would hurt, but not too much. The depth is there at LD, use it you your advantage would be my play.

Imagine having the handshake deal with Dougie and then going 4+4 so you can protect Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, Skjei/Bean. Seattle takes whatever D is left or Tro/Foegele

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Yes, I agree. 7-3-1 is the way to go IMO. Extend Dougie, protect Dougie/Slavin/Pesce/Aho/Svech/Turbo/Geekie/Trocheck/Foegele/Fast, and let Seattle take one of Fleury/Bean/Skjei. The reason for having a deep left side like ours IMO is all about Seattle.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->