Fleury sent back to junior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
I watch the Q, and I think Fleury's the better goaltender for all of the same reasons. It's a shame for Houle who has played well, but unfortunately Fleury's rights are owned by the same team and he is the best goaltender his age in the world.

Exactly. Fleury with his head into it is the BEST goalie in the CHL. Houle is not. He IS very good but to give him the nod as best in the CHL because of 1 good season playing for a stacked team is a bit foolish.

I've seen almost every home game. Is Houle good? Definitely. But you cannot judge whether or not he's the best because he can play whole games where he sees 15 shots and 3 or 4 are from the neutral zone. I seen a shutout this year where he faced ten shots(despite the team having 7 power plays and I bet 4 came from center ice(box score: http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index.php?page=342374&id_partie=859).

I feel bad for Houle. He's given us 100% and is suddenly going to be splitting time. But to say Fleury should not even get a chance to play is absolutely Pejorative Slured. Fleury will get EVERY chance to be ready to be the #1 come playoff time. Houle has carried us this year, which earns him the right to have a chance to prove he's better then Marc-Andre Fleury. But Fleury is the best player in franchise history, and that earns him a lot more.

Pascal Vincent is not an idiot, he will make the right decision with this situation.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
All I'll say is...why settle for Corey Schwab when you can have Martin Brodeur?

Schwab is one of the best back-ups in the league and most definitely a capable goalie...but given the chance you have to go with the elite talent.

Fleury should have to earn the starters job...that said it should take about a week at most.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
And you seen Houle play where, stick to your WHL business because you have no clue about the players you are talkign about. The second part of your post means absolutly nothing, pro teams can only control what to do with their players when they are playing for their organization, they have no control in a players development in Junior nor should they have that control.

I see you dodged his question about whether you have seen all the teams in the CHL. Otherwise you aren't qualified to be calling Houle the best goalie in the CHL and making statements like that tends to undermine any credibility you might have.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I see you dodged his question about whether you have seen all the teams in the CHL. Otherwise you aren't qualified to be calling Houle the best goalie in the CHL and making statements like that tends to undermine any credibility you might have.
No I didn't, top of second page I said that wasn't a fair assesment said by me.

It apears CB coach thinks the same way as me, Fleury is not given the starting job, they will split the games going into the playoffs and the hottest goaltender will play, thats the way I wanted it :)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That's the way everybody appears to want it.

dori_isles said:
might be a stupid question but..
why is nobody trying to get fleury for his team? is it the money? too much money for a too young player? what is the problem? why he has to play for a junior team? :dunno:
NHL teams? Uhh, because Fleury is a huge asset to the Penguins and is probably more untradeable than Lemieux.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
dori_isles said:
might be a stupid question but..
why is nobody trying to get fleury for his team? is it the money? too much money for a too young player? what is the problem? why he has to play for a junior team? :dunno:

Yea, he's only 19 and was the last 1st overall draft choice in the NHL Entry Draft. If he shows a pattern over the next several years he might becoming more expendable, but right now there's no reason to believe he doesn't have a shot at being a multiple Vezina Trophy winner in the future. He's also ineligible for the AHL because he's only 19 and doesn't have four years of junior experience yet. If he had four years, he would be in the same case as Rico Fata when he suited up for the Saint John Flames at 19.

Let's not forget goaltenders take a lot longer to develop too. Just look at Jamie Storr :D

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
JasonMacIsaac said:
How is Fleury the better goaltender, how can you make that comparison without seeing how they play against similar compitition.

Because he's one of the four or five most talented young goalies in the league, at worst. Is Houle on that level?

He's the more talented of the two, and he will likely give CB an even better chance at the Memorial Cup. So why wouldn't they use him?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I didn't say they shouldn't use him and yes Fleury is more talented but that doesn't mean he will have more success. I just didn't agree with the people that said Fleury would be handed the #1 job without any sort of judgement.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
I didn't say they shouldn't use him
No, but you did say you HOPED that Fleury didn't play well enough to earn the starting job (to paraphrase). There's a clear bias on your part.

but that doesn't mean he will have more success.
Fair enough, I can agree with that. I hope they give both of them a legitimate shot at being the go-to goaltenders. Either way, they'll have a hot, well-rested goaltender come crunch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->