Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
John Flyers Fan said:
Is this the real reason that Perry didn't make the team ???

http://www.canoe.com/Slam031220/chl_lon1-sun.html

The Perry-Fleury incident supposedly began on the ice and carried over to a hallway in the hotel, where captain Daniel Paille intervened. It has been said that Fleury told Hockey Canada officials he wouldn't play if Perry made the team.

Good find!!

Very interesting, and it does seem out of character for MAF.

No one seemed to see anything, but I'd like to hear what Dan Paille would have to say.

BCCHL inactive

Perry says nothing happened, Hockey Canada's head scout says nothing happened....there is nothing solid in this article that suggests Fleury and Perry got into a fight at the selection camp.

Obviously some scouts didn't like the fact that Perry got cut...but this doesn't hold any merit whatsoever.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Van said:
Perry says nothing happened, Hockey Canada's head scout says nothing happened....there is nothing solid in this article that suggests Fleury and Perry got into a fight at the selection camp.

Obviously some scouts didn't like the fact that Perry got cut...but this doesn't hold any merit whatsoever.

Though they said nothing happened, it possibly could have. No matter what happened, Hockey Canada would say it didn't, as going public with this would hurt MAF's reputation, as well as Hockey Canada's.

I don't doubt it could have happened. Perry was not skating strong, but scouts said he was the third best guy out there, behind Burns and Carter. Maybe fourth by their linemate and his fellow Ducks prospect Ryan Getzlaf. He was quite good out there, and that could explain why he didn't make it, if it did happen. But yeah, it has no real merit.

This hasn't been the greatest of weeks for Perry. First he gets cut, then he has to play for the organization who wanted to trade him. Maybe he'll use the cut as determination and he'll look at the trade talk as the Ducks thought he was worth Mike Comrie. Hopefully he'll keep on keeping on, rack up alot in the OHL, and show the Ducks that they were lucky to have Clarkey come and trade for Comrie.

BCCHL inactive

ducksflytogether said:
Though they said nothing happened, it possibly could have. No matter what happened, Hockey Canada would say it didn't, as going public with this would hurt MAF's reputation, as well as Hockey Canada's.

Two players going at it at camp wouldn't hurt Hockey Canada's reputation. Stuff like that happens on enough teams that it is almost commonplace. What is not commonplace, is that a news article about such an incident would be released just days before the competition starts. That is why Hockey Canada is likely pissed off at whoever wrote this article.

I'm not flat out denying this happened....all I'm saying is that the article proves absolutely nothing...especially when Perry himself says the words, "nothing happened".

Personally, I think this article smells of bitter scouts trying to ruin the party for the players who did make it to Finland.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I don't know whether the incident happened or not (nor do I particularly care), but the London Free Press is only fit for lining birdcages or wrapping up leftovers. I seriously doubt that the reporter was in the hallway when the alleged incident took place, and the fact that Perry denies the rumour should lay it to rest.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
There has been a 6-page discussion of this "incident" on the NOOF lately, and Jim Cressman's probably found the rumour there. The original poster's source for hearing about the altercation was an OUA player at the camp who was his cousin.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
MAF in a fight? Sounds laughable. He's not exactly a confrontational personality and anyone who has had any dealings with him or his teammates would know this. The possibility of a blow-up, or this being any sort of serious confrontation is very minute. And if there was one, it's probably a safe bet it was minor compared to what it's being talked up to be.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
MAF in a fight? Sounds laughable.

As I agree a situation like this is out of character for Fleury but anything is possible in the heat of the moment. They are not going to come out and say this happened, it would be too much of a distraction to the team that is sent over there to try and win, they don't want to also have this on their minds as well.

Now Fleury though the fight might sound laughable, remember last year he did get in two or three fights on the ice :D

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Um, can somebody explain this for me? From the article:

"Scoring isn't everything, but he created offence and was a factor on every shift. And there's not one player on that team who's a better skater."

Later on:
"What he did do and didn't do, we didn't go into. But ask me one thing he has to do and it's improve his foot speed."

So some believe he's the best skater on the team, yet others think he's not even in the top 25 or so?

Can anybody who's not biased offer up some reality here? What's the truth on his skating?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
PecaFan said:
Um, can somebody explain this for me? From the article:

"Scoring isn't everything, but he created offence and was a factor on every shift. And there's not one player on that team who's a better skater."

Later on:
"What he did do and didn't do, we didn't go into. But ask me one thing he has to do and it's improve his foot speed."

So some believe he's the best skater on the team, yet others think he's not even in the top 25 or so?

Can anybody who's not biased offer up some reality here? What's the truth on his skating?

Trying to stick with the topic of this ehread I'll say he's a lot faster than Fleury, especially when both are in full gear,

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Trying to stick with the topic of this ehread I'll say he's a lot faster than Fleury, especially when both are in full gear,
What a very politically correct statement! :p Whoever said Perry was the best skater on the ice is delusional. Very good scorer? Yes. Great moves? Yes. Best skater? Not by a long shot. The statement in the article is true though..... there is not one skater better.

Twisted Wrister

Jun 29, 2002
The Boardroom
Visit site
PecaFan said:

I went to see the Plymouth-London game Saturday in part because I was curious about Perry. So my take:

He's not the greatest skater, and certainly not the fastest, but he gets where he needs to go. His puck skills are what seperates him the most. He was held pointless in London's 3-2 win, but he created a nice offensive play and scoring chance nearly every shift he took. He easily could have had a hat trick in the first period alone, if not for some great saves by Plymouth's Ryan Nie and Perry himself fanning on a cross-crease one-timer.

He's excellent at creating offense down low in the offensive zone, reminded me somewhat of Jason Allison (although not nearly as strong of course).

Buddha

Sep 8, 2002
London
Visit site
I live in london and attend the occasional game. Perry is no speed demon but he is no slouch either in skating. Talking with a few people at work who are in the london minor hockey scence they hear the scuttlebutt that there is something to the story. In london itself though perry has taken the high road by not commenting on the story other then to say it was it was false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad