Fleury or Lehtonen ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
My pic would be Lehtonen, just because of his size. If they're really going to trim down the goalie pads, I feel that'll hurt Fleury more than Lehtonen in the long run. But then again, the rule about not being able to play the puck might help FLeury out as well.

Dr_Chimera*

stardog said:
Point understood, but I think Fluery IS slightly quicker than Lehtonen.

I'd have a difficult time telling you who's quicker. I'd have to conduct a test.

Lehtonen is more compact, but his lateral movement is as good as any goalie prospect today. Fleury is a flashy kid - and there is nothing wrong with that - but while he can look incredible at certain times, he looks rather sub-par at others. He's your prototypical high-maintenance goalie - but that doesn't necessarily make him quicker.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
As was Lehtonen. :dunno:

I am going to have to disagree with you there, if you're saying Lehtonen was equally as important. The Finns won the bronze medal, but Lehtonen was giving up some goals not characteristic of a netminder you could lean on (e.g. goal against Canada that went in from behind the net). I remember several other ones that made me cringe as well. Not to say Lehtonen was bad, but he was not Fleury... or even Bob Goepfert.

Fleury was the best goalie at the tournament, which is why he was MVP. Lehtonen was the second or third best player on the team behind Pitkanen and possibly Bergenheim in my view.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
I am going to have to disagree with you there, if you're saying Lehtonen was equally as important. The Finns won the bronze medal, but Lehtonen was giving up some goals not characteristic of a netminder you could lean on (e.g. goal against Canada that went in from behind the net). I remember several other ones that made me cringe as well. Not to say Lehtonen was bad, but he was not Fleury... or even Bob Goepfert.

Fleury was the best goalie at the tournament, which is why he was MVP. Lehtonen was the second or third best player on the team behind Pitkanen and possibly Bergenheim in my view.

You can't judge the talent of a prospect based on a single tournament. For example, Fleury was HORRIBLE in this year's WJC. Does that make him a future bust? And besides, Lehtonen wasn't even that bad in the 2003 WJC, he was actually pretty good.

And sure Lehtonen didn't have his best WJC in 2003, but he WAS voted the best goalie in the 2002 WJC:

"In Kari Lehtonen, the Finns could have the best goaltender in the 2003 WJC competition in Nova Scotia. Lehtonen became the highest drafted European goalie in history when he was selected by the Atlanta Thrashers second overall in 2002, after being named best goalie in the 2002 WJC, when he had a brilliant 1.17 GAA and .943 save percentage. "

Lehtonen was also named the MVP of both the league and of the playoffs the year he led Jokerit to it's championship cup in the Finnish League:

"Lehtonen earned MVP honors and led Jokerit-Helsinki to the 2002 league championship as the league's youngest goalie. He led the league with 11 games, eight wins, 623 minutes, a .940 save percentage and three shutouts in the postseason. During the 2001-02 regular season, he was 13-5-3 with a 1.79 GAA and four shutouts in 23 games."

He also was brilliant in the 2003 European Hockey Championshop, being the key person in Jokerit winning the 2003 Continental Cup:

"Led Jokerit-Helsinki to the 2002-03 Continental Cup over the Russian champion Yaroslavl, finishing with 3-0-0 record, a 1.67 goals-against average and a .942 save percentage in three games. "

Needless to say, Lehtonen has proven his mettle numerous times already. The kid is ice under pressure. He seems just step it up a notch in big games.

Last edited:

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
In the Atlanta Journal this week Don Waddell said he expects Lehtonen to be called up to the Thrashers in early March. I guess we will finally be able to see what Lehtonen can do at the NHL level the last 15 games or so of the season. I can't wait. :handclap:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I used to think Lehtonen was a better goalie than Fleury (yes even though I'm a Pens fan), but with Fleury's amazing play this season, my mind is changing fast.
We'll have to see if Lehtonen can be as good at the NHL level, even behind a better team.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
Pachoo said:
You can't judge the talent of a prospect based on a single tournament. For example, Fleury was HORRIBLE in this year's WJC. Does that make him a future bust? And besides, Lehtonen wasn't even that bad in the 2003 WJC, he was actually pretty good.

And sure Lehtonen didn't have his best WJC in 2003, but he WAS voted the best goalie in the 2002 WJC:

"In Kari Lehtonen, the Finns could have the best goaltender in the 2003 WJC competition in Nova Scotia. Lehtonen became the highest drafted European goalie in history when he was selected by the Atlanta Thrashers second overall in 2002, after being named best goalie in the 2002 WJC, when he had a brilliant 1.17 GAA and .943 save percentage. "

Lehtonen was also named the MVP of both the league and of the playoffs the year he led Jokerit to it's championship cup in the Finnish League:

"Lehtonen earned MVP honors and led Jokerit-Helsinki to the 2002 league championship as the league's youngest goalie. He led the league with 11 games, eight wins, 623 minutes, a .940 save percentage and three shutouts in the postseason. During the 2001-02 regular season, he was 13-5-3 with a 1.79 GAA and four shutouts in 23 games."

He also was brilliant in the 2003 European Hockey Championshop, being the key person in Jokerit winning the 2003 Continental Cup:

"Led Jokerit-Helsinki to the 2002-03 Continental Cup over the Russian champion Yaroslavl, finishing with 3-0-0 record, a 1.67 goals-against average and a .942 save percentage in three games. "

Needless to say, Lehtonen has proven his mettle numerous times already. The kid is ice under pressure. He seems just step it up a notch in big games.

I don't think you referred to the whole post I responded to. I totally agree with what you're saying about not being able to judge the potential of a player based on one tournament, if not, I would be a moron... I was merely saying Fleury was more outstanding than Lehtonen at the 2003 WJCs.

What I saw there was Fleury was better in pressure situations. Something I stand by, based on his play for hockey's worst team this season... he performed well as an 18-19 year old.

I also never said Lehtonen was a bad goaltender. In fact, I believe I said they were more or less even... save pressure situations when I feel Fleury has the edge.

I think we're more or less in agreement here.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Dr_Chimera said:
I'd have a difficult time telling you who's quicker. I'd have to conduct a test.

Lehtonen is more compact, but his lateral movement is as good as any goalie prospect today. Fleury is a flashy kid - and there is nothing wrong with that - but while he can look incredible at certain times, he looks rather sub-par at others. He's your prototypical high-maintenance goalie - but that doesn't necessarily make him quicker.

I understand your point, but I am not basing his quickness on how "flashy" he is. I am basing it on his speed and reflex alone.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Lehtonen finally got back in goal last night. It was his first game since January 14th, so over a month ago. He was hit by a cheap shot in the January 14th game in the 2nd period and suffered a concussion. Then he reinjured his hamstring during practice.

Anyways, he saved 33 of 34 shots last night and picked up a win. :) Hopefully, he gets called up to the Thrashers within a few weeks.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Unbiased Canadian said:
Ya, I guess except when he scores on himself.

Unbiased Canadian

Well that only proves that he is better, as he has an obvious advantage over Lehtonen in his offensive game.

Unbiased Stardog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->